Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pattern editor

To set the facts straight.

Centerline: was only available in one of the original download-able trials (and to the original group of beta owners). It was never 'removed' from any normal release of Designer.

Pattern Editor: Was never part of any normal Designer release (therefore it could not have been removed). It has always been coupled with the probe.

So, now folks have the choice of buying the Pattern Editor alone or in combination with the probe. Basically everyone has even more options now. So, I fail to find big flaw in all of this....but maybe it's just me
    Happy carving , Jeff Birt

Check out www.soigeneris.com for CarveWright Accesories.

Home of the 'Carving in the Dark' back lit LCD kit!

I agree with cycollins.

As a $299 package for the probe and editor. The breakdown should be more like $295 for the probe and $4 for editor.
    Christopher Neil Albrecht
    Occasional Carvings
    Just A Flowing With The Grain

Ver. 1.187 on XP Pro Desktop
    Ver. 1.187 on Win. 7/64 Laptop

Patterns At The Depot

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisAlb View Post
    Perhaps you bought yours before mine? I got mine in August 07. It was never advertised as "coming with Centerline". That was always extra. And the pattern editor was never included unless you bought the probe which I did.

Bottom line here is, unless you have the probe, you don't need the pattern editor. Heck, MS paint can do more except for smoothing.

So I'm Confused by your statements??
    Yes, I bought mine a little before you and all the advertisments clearly show (and I believe stated) centerline text.

I also bought the probe and used the editor. They removed the pattern loading function of the editor with the newer software updates so we can't load a pattern to do more editing. The "work arounds" offered are to use the s original scan data. That's fine IF you don't do incremental updates to the pattern. It also won't work with the hundreds of free patterns avaiable. The "work around" is to load every single pattern into the 1.120 version and then export that pattern so it can then be loaded into the new version. Yep, I'm gonna do all that work just because LHR went crazy with liscensing and is obviously paranoid about their software.

Between the hardware problems and LHR's paranoid outlook on their software, It's got me so down on the machine that I haven't even used it in months. Okay, that's my problem, but still caused by LHR...

Quote Originally Posted by BearlyRich View Post
    Yes, I bought mine a little before you and all the advertisments clearly show (and I believe stated) centerline text.

I also bought the probe and used the editor. They removed the pattern loading function of the editor with the newer software updates so we can't load a pattern to do more editing. The "work arounds" offered are to use the s original scan data. That's fine IF you don't do incremental updates to the pattern. It also won't work with the hundreds of free patterns avaiable. The "work around" is to load every single pattern into the 1.120 version and then export that pattern so it can then be loaded into the new version. Yep, I'm gonna do all that work just because LHR went crazy with liscensing and is obviously paranoid about their software.

Between the hardware problems and LHR's paranoid outlook on their software, It's got me so down on the machine that I haven't even used it in months. Okay, that's my problem, but still caused by LHR...
    Well, I always keep an original copy of my patterns (from scratch or scan) so I always have it to work on. Very easy "work around". As far as the licensing, that's to protect US as the ARTIST, not LHR's software. Since I create patterns to sell, I'm VERY thankful for that.

It prevents the....lets say...more unscrupulous folks from taking my creations, changing them a little and then selling them or passing them off as their own. Good move in my book and it shows me that LHR is truly on their "more creative" customers side.
    Christopher Neil Albrecht
    Occasional Carvings
    Just A Flowing With The Grain

Ver. 1.187 on XP Pro Desktop
    Ver. 1.187 on Win. 7/64 Laptop

Patterns At The Depot

They removed the pattern loading function of the editor with the newer software updates so we can't load a pattern to do more editing.
    Again, this is not quite correct. You can edit all the patterns YOU created all you want. And as Chris mentioned, it helps out the pattern makers (from things like the guys wanting to do a 'group buy' of a pattern collection.)

6. Default Photo design options

Hi
    I saw your discussions on work arounds, and I will be trying it when I get the machine. Currently I use google sketchup 3D modelling program to do my design work which has a photo import and match routine. I do not know yet how it may work with carvewright, but think it may work well. Below is a 2D image of a 3D graphic. The shadows created may have to be removed and textures adjusted to model the depth of cut desired.
    The other great attribute is a vast online 3d warehouse of their models. see at http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/details?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Victorian House II.png  

Cool Comes down to

The point to alot of this thread is that for $199 the editing software is not worth the money, with the probe it may equal out. The probe is an awesome tool. The software alone, unless upgrades have been added to import other formats, is not a good buy. I agree with Chris, the probe is worth alot more than the editing software.
    I think alot of people also think that with the initial investment for the machine, then the addons, this "hobby" can become quite expensive.
    Still using 1.120 & 1.126

I think alot of people also think that with the initial investment for the machine, then the addons, this "hobby" can become quite expensive.
    Welcome to wood working

As an example: priced an add-on table saw fence or dado-blade recently?

Try exporting that SketchUp model to a 3D file, and loading it up in CarvePic. That will let you do a proper heightmap from the model...

Quote Originally Posted by alpmeadow View Post
    Hi
    I saw your discussions on work arounds, and I will be trying it when I get the machine. Currently I use google sketchup 3D modelling program to do my design work which has a photo import and match routine. I do not know yet how it may work with carvewright, but think it may work well. Below is a 2D image of a 3D graphic. The shadows created may have to be removed and textures adjusted to model the depth of cut desired.
    The other great attribute is a vast online 3d warehouse of their models. see at http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/details?

Quote Originally Posted by alpmeadow View Post
    Hi
    You are going to want somthing like this. It's a simple cube, the darker corner which is nearest the "camera" is going to carve the highest point, the far corners which are in the distance are going to carve the deepest or lighest in color. This was created in Bryce using the distance render. If sketchup can either export a model and then import it into a 3D program which can render z-depth/altitude/distance renders/masks or if sketchup can render similar picture then you are set.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Z_sample.jpg  
    Last edited by Amonaug; 04-11-2008 at 05:26 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast