Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pattern editor

Default Editor? Why if not for the probe?

This makes no sense to me at all. Almost any graphics application has far more capability than the "pattern editor" does. If I didn't "need" the pattern editor for downloading the probes scans, I wouldn't even have it installed. Since the pattern editor comes with the probe, you're better off getting the probe

With the exception of a 3D view of the image (which you can get by using the Import from clipboard command in Designer), the pattern editor has very limited capabilities.

If you don't want the probe (big mistake in my book), spend your money on a better graphics program. There are many available (some for less, some for more) and almost ALL of them blow away editor with what you can do.

Just my 2 cents
    Last edited by ChrisAlb; 04-11-2008 at 01:04 PM.
    Christopher Neil Albrecht
    Occasional Carvings
    Just A Flowing With The Grain

Ver. 1.187 on XP Pro Desktop
    Ver. 1.187 on Win. 7/64 Laptop

Patterns At The Depot

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisAlb View Post
    This makes no sense to me at all. Almost any graphics application has far more capability than the "pattern editor" does. If I didn't "need" the pattern editor for downloading the probes scans, I wouldn't even have it installed. Since the pattern editor comes with the probe, you're better off getting the probe

With the exception of a 3D view of the image (which you can get by using the Import from clipboard command in Designer), the pattern editor has very limited capabilities.

If you don't want the probe (big mistake in my book), spend your money on a better graphics program. There are many available (some for less, some for more) and almost ALL of them blow away editor with what you can do.

Just my 2 cents
    When you say big mistake are you saying the probe is a big mistake or If you don't want the probe.

Ver 1.179
    HP-Nvidia HD Video Card
    Windows 7 Ultimate
    Scanning with Carvewight Probe and Next Engine 3d Laser Scanner HD
    If you have any scanning needs let us know.Check Out Our Patterns in the depot under eromran

If you allow it to happen, you can let today erase all of yesterday or if you choose,you can let yesterday erase the rest of your life.
    Ed

If you DON'T want the probe it's a big mistake.

The probe is GREAT and I use it a LOT. I never use pattern editor except to download the scans. Then I take that image, save it as a png and open it in a REAL graphics app.

Sorry if that was confusing?
    Occasional Carvings

Patterns At The Depot

Default Expensive hobby

For a hobby machine, this thing is sure getting pricey. First $99 for Centerline upgrade, which the early description/photos seemed to indicate was part of the base package, but was pulled after LHR realized they could milk $99 from the signmakers, and now $199 for a basic image editor with 3D rendering, when the probe/editor is offered on sale for $225 several times throughout the year. LHR acts as if its customers are in the "more money than brains" category.

I'll be sticking with Corel Graphics Suite X3.

Rob

Here here Rob. X2 for me...
    Occasional Carvings

Patterns At The Depot

Quote Originally Posted by Amonaug View Post
    You can get a full 3D program for less than $100, import 3D models and use the render options to get a greyscale heightmap to use in CW designer.
    Hello Amonaug,

What specific program are you referring to?
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

7. Default

This is getting close to sending me over the top. First they charge us for the centerline that was advertised as coming with the machine. Then they take away the functionality of the pattern editor with their software "upgrade", and now they're trying to sell the "editor" as an accessory? I use it and would say it's worth at least $25 if you have no other image editor available. With it's functionality (of importing patterns) eliminated by the new software, it's worth $0. $200 and they still haven't given us back it's true function?

If I knew all I know now about LHR, their practices and the machine itself I would never have bought the machine. If I could get $1500 back on it, I wouldn't own one now...

Quote Originally Posted by mtylerfl View Post
    Hello Amonaug,

What specific program are you referring to?
    There are quite a few programs that can do it. Bryce is just around $100 right now. Bryce 5.5 is free and if you can find earlier versions they are free too.

http://www.daz3d.com/i.x/shop/catmain/-/?cat=326&_m=d

With Bryce you simply choose the Distance or Altitude mask and render.

Default Just investigated the pattern editor myself...

...and I agree with much of what has been said. (BTW, hello to all the regulars. It's been a VERY long time since I posted last). The only advantage I see to the pattern editor is that it is integrated with the Carvewrite software. Other than that, it's just an image manipulation program with some special-purpose tools for helping with patterns. Peggy, your purchase of Paint Shop Pro or PhotoPaint from Corel will stand you in good stead - better in fact than the purchase of the Pattern Editor. As to the classes given in Huston, spend your time here on the forum and you will have the keys to the kingdom.

In support of CarveWright (and I can be a little cranky, so I don't trumpet the company that often), let me say that offering the Pattern Editor for non-probe customers is a good idea. The integration alone, makes it handy. It IS a little pricey for the feature set, but CW can adjust that over time. My recommendation: if it seems too much, don't buy it and do what Peggy did and get yourself a decent image editor and spend time here on the forum. Better still, if you can make the stretch, just get yourself a probe and go to town digitizing the world. One thing I am VERY pleased about is allowing the user to specify the inherent width, height and depth of the pattern. For people like me who care deeply about pattern-to-real-world correspondences (you may recall I do the little statuettes), this is much better than the old system of having to guess the relationship between depth, height, etc. Do a search on cycollins and you'll see my long treatises on how I used to do it.

There is one interesting bug with the whole Pattern Editor/Project Designer integration. Legacy patterns that I authored from scratch before I got the probe, are identified as licenced and I cannot edit them. Fortunately, I have the original data and can re-import them. When I do, then the ARE editable. It's a small thing and there is an obvious work-around, but it's something to look at. I hope to posting lots more as I ramp back up again on using the machine.

cycollins

Quote Originally Posted by BearlyRich View Post
    This is getting close to sending me over the top. First they charge us for the centerline that was advertised as coming with the machine. Then they take away the functionality of the pattern editor with their software "upgrade", and now they're trying to sell the "editor" as an accessory? I use it and would say it's worth at least $25 if you have no other image editor available. With it's functionality (of importing patterns) eliminated by the new software, it's worth $0. $200 and they still haven't given us back it's true function?

If I knew all I know now about LHR, their practices and the machine itself I would never have bought the machine. If I could get $1500 back on it, I wouldn't own one now...
    Perhaps you bought yours before mine? I got mine in August 07. It was never advertised as "coming with Centerline". That was always extra. And the pattern editor was never included unless you bought the probe which I did.

Bottom line here is, unless you have the probe, you don't need the pattern editor. Heck, MS paint can do more except for smoothing.

So I'm Confused by your statements??
    Occasional Carvings

Patterns At The Depot

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast