Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Zaxis Stall Error 246

Smile z-axis stall and check probe

I am new to this forum and using the carvewright probe. This posting has helped me allot. I have made some wood carvings I wanted to scan. But I continued to get z-axis stall or check probe errors. The scans I got were very bad and not usable. So seeing that someone suggested opening up the porbe and clean the contacts and check for terminal connections I opened up my probe. My terminal connections were soldered very well but I did find the problem. It was one that I did not see in this forum. I found that the probe was very sloppy and did not track very well. The nut holding the probe to contact plate had a space of about 1/16 of an inch. Since this is also a contact point and a stabilizer for the probe tip I tightened the nut so the probe was held tight to the probe. I did 15 failed scans with no success. After I tightened the nut I did 2 picture perfect scans.

Also I could not find a glue tip small enough to use on the probe so I used 5 min. epoxy and put the tip of the probe into the mixed epoxy. Then hung the probe vertically until hardened. This made a very nice tear drop on the tip. You can determine the size of the drop by how deep you put the probe into the epoxy. So far it has worked very well. I hope this post helps someone as your posts have helped me

Thumbs up

rlane10347,

Thanks for sharing the info on your experience dealing with your probe,
    every little bit of knowledge we can scrape together will help other carvers down the road.

Also may I say Welcome to the CW Forum.
    Ken

Ver 1.182 on XL Pro plus Ver 1.164 and 1.175 on Windows 7 Ultimate
    It Never Fails * Till * You Say It Never Fails

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234