Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Zaxis Stall Error 246

Thumbs up Scans smaller things.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff_Birt View Post
    Try scanning a different object, something not quite as tall.

I had a problem early on with my probe with the contacts getting dirty. If you remove the three little screws you can take it apart and clean the contacts. I added a very tiny amount (and I mean very tiny) of dialectic grease to the contacts and it has worked fine since.
    I have been successful in scanning smaller things, sea shell, toy frog, .. All fine. Carving works fine as well.

Question Sticky-rough

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisAlb View Post
    Have you checked for any "rough or sticky" spots it the Z axis travel? I once had a very small chip of wood in the belt. I couldn't really see it very easily but when I moved the truck up and down (Z direction), I sure could feel it. Cleaned it out and the Z stall went away.
    __________________________________________________ __
    I checked it out first thing. The zpack and the probe are brand new, well really 3 weeks old. The first probe I got was defective, LHR was fantastic and replaced it right away. The new probe works on small items, the sunburst is less than an inch tall so the body of the probe is not touching.

In your scans, were they complex? This thing is all curves and angles, no flat surfaces. That is what is making me think the software is suffering (like I do) with information overload. I have been sending the "crash report" the CC writes on the card. Does the support team look at those? Is there anyway I can gleen any information out of it?

Yes. My scans are almost always very detailed and contain very small details as well. By looking at the picture you should have no trouble at all scanning that so long as there is no "physical" interference with the operation.

I know you said it carves well but let me ask you, have you done any carvings as deep without Z issues? And, what version software are you using?

Not that it should matter as I've gone from 1.120 to current while scanning with no problems.
    Christopher Neil Albrecht
    Occasional Carvings
    Just A Flowing With The Grain

Ver. 1.187 on XP Pro Desktop
    Ver. 1.187 on Win. 7/64 Laptop

Patterns At The Depot

Default Version

Yes. My scans are almost always very detailed and contain very small details as well. By looking at the picture you should have no trouble at all scanning that so long as there is no "physical" interference with the operation.

I know you said it carves well but let me ask you, have you done any carvings as deep without Z issues? And, what version software are you using?

Not that it should matter as I've gone from 1.120 to current while scanning with no problems.
    Good questions.. Software version; 1.126 I manually reflashed the CC. (by selecting update firmware on the card manager). I have also re-formatted the card.

I have done 1"+ deep carves since the zpack upgrade.

I still have the old Z-pack so I'm not sure about this but from what I've read, the new one has a different plug and or cable for the probe? (mine is just a little 1/8" jack that plugs right into the truck).

Is there any possibility that cable is being stretched or pulled on at the far reaches of travel?
    Christopher Neil Albrecht
    Occasional Carvings
    Just A Flowing With The Grain

Ver. 1.187 on XP Pro Desktop
    Ver. 1.187 on Win. 7/64 Laptop

Patterns At The Depot

Default New plug

I still have the old Z-pack so I'm not sure about this but from what I've read, the new one has a different plug and or cable for the probe? (mine is just a little 1/8" jack that plugs right into the truck).

Is there any possibility that cable is being stretched or pulled on at the far reaches of travel?
    You are right, the new zpack requires you to use the plug on the left side of the cabinet and the additional cable they supply. There is also a clip that holds the slack from the new cable so it won't get in the way of the scanner. I checked it as it was scanning, it never gets tight in any direction.

Now that you mentioned the cable; Where the plug ties into the cable jack piviots as the probe moves around (ever so slightly). I'll tape, or heatshrink that. Maybe it loses connection somehow as the cable twists. I'll re-post if that is it.. Fingers crossed..

>>> Nope. Stalls in the same first spot, or there about.
    Last edited by rzinnel; 04-13-2008 at 04:05 PM. Reason: Results..

Lightbulb May have an answer..

While working with tech support we may have found the answer. If you go to the diags menu, under the scanning menu option "0". Then scroll to probe state, it should say "closed". If you move the tip one of the 4 directions it moves, it goes from "closed" to "open" on the LCD display. The tech & engineer thought it may be the jack (the earphone looking plug from the probe plugs into it on the extention cable). While holding it and twisting it there was no change. While I was on hold and the tech was talking to the engineer again, I twisted the cable where it comes out of the probe itself. The display would intermittently jump to open, then back. If I moved it in just the right position it would stick in the open position. Move any other part of the cable, it would jump back. I explained it to the tech and he concluded it must be (another) bad probe. (My first one didn't work at all). I have to say, LHR tech are good, and really want to help solve any issues. (Thanks Daniel & Ray, hardware support).

Sooooo, I boxed it back up and sent it in. He said they would replicate the problem, then send me (another) "new" one. They have all come in a genaric brown box.

Having watched the "Carvebuddy how-to video and seeing that packaging (which is really good). And, having purchased "refurbished" electronics in the past, it always make me sceptical, since factory returns/refurbs generally comes in a genaric brown box. Which would mean my first one, I bought new from the carvewright website, was refurb too.

Well, time will tell if the next one "fixes" the problem. I'll post back either way, sent in 4/14/2008, I'll post the return date as well.
    Last edited by rzinnel; 04-14-2008 at 01:49 PM.

Unhappy No joy..

Well I got the new probe yesterday 5/8/2006. Same problem. If anything it fails with; "zaxis stall error 246" sooner. I even taped the jack (probe to extion wire) so there would be no flexing/twisting. Same result.. I'm now waiting on an email reply now to see what to try next.
    Last edited by rzinnel; 05-08-2008 at 01:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rzinnel View Post
    Well I got the new probe yesterday 5/8/2006. Same problem. If anything it fails with; "zaxis stall error 246" sooner. I even taped the jack (probe to extion wire) so there would be no flexing/twisting. Same result.. I'm now waiting on an email reply now to see what to try next.
    My first two probes were bad also once i got the third one it worked great. The problem was same as you explained (in the pigtail). You could have them just send you the pig tail and change it yourself to save all the time. It is very easy just two screws on the inside.

Ver 1.179
    HP-Nvidia HD Video Card
    Windows 7 Ultimate
    Scanning with Carvewight Probe and Next Engine 3d Laser Scanner HD
    If you have any scanning needs let us know.Check Out Our Patterns in the depot under eromran

If you allow it to happen, you can let today erase all of yesterday or if you choose,you can let yesterday erase the rest of your life.
    Ed

Do you get a z-stall when carving as well ?Anything that causes some resistance to the z-head can cause a stall.Is the top of the cable hitting the plastic housing ? Also how tight is the the z-axis belt ?
    Ben

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast