Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Zaxis Stall Error 246

Cool Zaxis Stall Error 246

I hope someone can help. I have a continuing “Zaxis Stall Error 246”. Attached is a picture of what I am trying to scan. It will start out scanning between 18 to 24% complete, then the error. The size of the file it created is 176k with more than 7600 kbytes remaining free space on the card. The total size of the scan area is 14.16” L x 9.03”, max depth is about .9” of which it scans 3.5” before failing. I installed the new zpack about a month ago so I could use the scanning probe in the first place. It also has the latest release of software/firmware. The in & out tray are lower than the feed rollers, (thanks again Mike for the suggestion)..

If I restart a new scan at the point of failure of the first pass, and do this 12 more times, it makes 13 files that, if I can figure out how to paste them all together, would make a complete scan. It can’t be a file size issue, I read another post from someone that scanned a 7’ long dragon carving, this is much smaller. There has been no issue when carving, or in scanning smaller items. I have been in contact with tech support this week and I am waiting on a callback. So far it’s been a dry well.

My machine is one and a half years old, is it possible that the sunburst I am trying to scan is too complex? –or- is there some limit in the RAM it uses to store the line info before it writes it to the card so if the line is complex it over-runs an internal buffer of some kind?

Any insight would be appreciated..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sunburst800.jpg  
    Last edited by rzinnel; 04-11-2008 at 09:00 AM.

Default Here is a link

"Our principles are the springs of our actions. Our actions, the springs of our happiness or misery. Too much care, therefore, cannot be taken in forming our principles." Red Skelton

I have 1.132 and previous versions back to 1.19 on standby

Please support Cystic Fibrosis

You have to watch that the probe body does not contact the object. Steep crevices and deep objects can cause problems.
    Happy carving , Jeff Birt

Check out www.soigeneris.com for CarveWright Accesories.

Home of the 'Carving in the Dark' back lit LCD kit!

Maybe if you place a 1/4" thick piece of something on the sled, to allow the machine to sample as the depth. This will allow you to scan the object without a background, it will also make the overall depth of scan less. Less depth = less size on card, and removes possible probe interference due to height of object.
    Kipp

Default Scan depth.

I forgot to mention I used a piece of plastic, about 1/32 thick, to keep it from contacting the sled. I'll try Kyeakel's suggestion for 1/4 depth and see if that works.

Jeff; Is the scanning depth what you meant?

Bubbabear; The link below gives me an error; Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms.
    Searching for "zaxis stall error" gives me 4 results, (one is mine). None of the "cures" seems to apply.
    Last edited by rzinnel; 04-11-2008 at 09:21 AM. Reason: Added replies

Question 40%

Well, after using a 1/4" depth it completed 40% before the first zxis stall. Attached is what I got so far. If I go much higher than 1/4" I'll lose too much of the target. If you notice, it dies when it starts getting complex. Not spooling out the data to the card and over-filling the buffer may still be the problem. Has anyone got a complex scan greater than 6-10"L x 6-10"W in length that was successful?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sun1.jpg   Sun2.jpg   Sun3.jpg   Sun6.png  

Last edited by rzinnel; 04-11-2008 at 02:26 PM. Reason: updated images and verbiage.

Quote Originally Posted by rzinnel View Post
    Well, after using a 1/4" depth it completed 40% before the zxis stall. Attached is what I got so far. If I go much higher than 1/4" I'll lose too much of the target.

Any other suggestions?
    Very sorry you're still having trouble. Has an LHR tech been able to get back to you yet?
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Default Lhr

Talked to the supervisor yesterday am, she said she would have the tech I had been working with call me back. I haven't heard from them yet. I've tried several times yesterday ended up in queue. I'm going to give them one more try today, and followup Monday if we get nowhere.
    Last edited by rzinnel; 04-11-2008 at 02:39 PM.

Try scanning a different object, something not quite as tall.

I had a problem early on with my probe with the contacts getting dirty. If you remove the three little screws you can take it apart and clean the contacts. I added a very tiny amount (and I mean very tiny) of dialectic grease to the contacts and it has worked fine since.
    Happy carving , Jeff Birt

Check out www.soigeneris.com for CarveWright Accesories.

Home of the 'Carving in the Dark' back lit LCD kit!

Default Sticky Z movement?

Have you checked for any "rough or sticky" spots it the Z axis travel? I once had a very small chip of wood in the belt. I couldn't really see it very easily but when I moved the truck up and down (Z direction), I sure could feel it. Cleaned it out and the Z stall went away.

The probe tip is 1-1/2" long. I routinely do 1-1/4 deep scans and once did a 1-3/8" deep one with no troubles.

Also, this may or may not cause a problem but make sure the side rails of your sled are just a touch higher than what you're scanning. I allow the probe to touch my sled's base when scanning.
    Christopher Neil Albrecht
    Occasional Carvings
    Just A Flowing With The Grain

Ver. 1.187 on XP Pro Desktop
    Ver. 1.187 on Win. 7/64 Laptop

Patterns At The Depot

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast