Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tricked the machine into not measuring

1. Default Tricked the machine into not measuring

Replaced the flexshaft with the new factory screw, and after some minor issues, tried to carve. no luck. same old cw can measure any board perfectly if i use #7, but if i try to load a project, can't get past the measuring phase. machine always fails after the left roller (as looking from the keypad) leaves the edge of the board half way thru the measuring phase. i constantly get board error. i checked the roller pressure and it registered at 75lbs. over numerous measurements. i tried 5 different boards, used painters tape, everything, and it still failed during every measurement phase.

after considerable frustration, bordering on giving up, i tried the following two things, and after getting a Fatal Error (2)! Reboot Machine message, i am CARVING:

1) just as the left roller leaves the board and the machine attempts to move the board back to the left (the point my machine ALWAYS fails) i hit stop on the keypad. the cw then prompts to abort or retry, and i hit retry. i did this a few times (even hit stop a few times quickly) and the machine finally completed its measurement. i then got the Fatal Error (2)...

2) i then reloaded the board, used #7 to have the cw measure the board, which it did perfectly(17.26x9.66), and then hit the miter button on the keypad. the cw moved the board, and when it stopped, then I hit stop, #1, selected my project (which was 9.9x9), and the machine prompted "keep original size", then continued the normal process of having you select the bit,...

and i'm carving. don't know if i can duplicate this, but i'm 60% thru a 90 min carve.

2. Default Best

of luck to you.

Check to make sure if the "o" ring (between the front and rear roller) make contact with the board. Also make sure that you have a flat board.
    HT

Optionman I had the exact same issue with my machine awhile back the only difference is that I would load the board go to option 7 measure the board then after it was done doing the measuring I would just pull up my project and continue from there. The problem went away when I upgraded my Z pack and had to upgrade the software on the card. But I also upgraded to 1.125 at the same time so I am not sure which one cured it.
    Where is the "Any Key" key located on the keypad
    Growing old is a privilege not everyone gets to enjoy.

5. Red face Option becomes habit

Quote Originally Posted by oldjoe View Post
    ... I would load the board go to option 7 measure the board then after it was done doing the measuring I would just pull up my project and continue from there...
    I was having a similar issue several months ago. Someone on the boards told me about measuring (option 7) and then going straight into the project. I tried it and, of course, it worked. Later, I discovered the issue was simply a matter of sensor cleaning (air). I certainly cannot explain why it measured one way and not the other. While the conventional method (just run the project and let it measure) began working shortly after that, my perception was that the measure first (7) followed by the project (1) is faster for me, especially if the sensor needs to be cleaned. It will show up immediately, rather than after a number of keypad presses to get the project started.

As a matter of habit, now, I always do the measure first method. If I need to clean further, I want to know it immediately. It works great for me.
    tim

-----------------------------------------------------
    Download your FREE CCW Pattern Organizer for Windows.

Default Option 7 - Measuring

tim,

Passing on information like that can save other carvers
    a few headachs down the line. Thanks for reminding us.

Good Tip, Thanks for sharing
    Ken

Ver 1.182 on XL Pro plus Ver 1.164 and 1.175 on Windows 7 Ultimate
    It Never Fails * Till * You Say It Never Fails

Default Agree 100%

Always measure first. The machine assumes the world hasn't changed as long as the pressure is never relieved on the rollers, which is a very reasonable assumption. You can actually use this fact in conjuction with a sled to remove your work piece and replace it (as in a two-sided project) while keeping the rollers engaged. You need a sled with walls and with some way of securing the wood within the sled. You just jog the sled to the place where the actual wood within the sled is no longer under the rollers. Then release the wood, turn it over and replace it. The advantage to doing this is that you can jog the machine (or input a position) and be sure that the coordinates, relative to the sled, have not changed their meaning. So, if you have guides within your sled to place your wood precisely, you can be reasonably sure that you can place the back-side of the project precisely over the front side. If you release the presure and re-insert the wood, the machine will measure again, using the other side of the wood as a reference. If the wood is imperfectly milled (i.e. it has a trapezoid or parallelagram for a cross-section), you can end up with substantial misalignment. It's not the only way to get good registration, but it can work.

cycollins

Default lmao

Most of you sound like my Father, watching him when i was a kid on how best to tune in the black and white tv with rabbit ears. Stand here, hold arm out this way, bend antenna that way, have mom flick kitchen lights on and off 3 times, rubber band the ears together and there ya go, able to watch 1 channel from PBS.

I'm a professional toothpick maker.
    TK Designs

Guess I'll have to open my big yap about this one. If any of you need to go through all that to carve, something is surely wrong.

I put my board in, pick my project and away we go. I use the measure board, option 7 only when I have a board with round or shaped edges, when it's a pre-finished dark board or all three like the cherry cabinet doors I just finished adding carves to. That way, after it tells me what "it" sees, I can make my virtual board that size. Then load my project and again, we're off and running.

I'm glad you all have found these interesting "work arounds" but, I'd spend more time finding the problems than the work arounds.

Just a thought
    Christopher Neil Albrecht
    Occasional Carvings
    Just A Flowing With The Grain

Ver. 1.187 on XP Pro Desktop
    Ver. 1.187 on Win. 7/64 Laptop

Patterns At The Depot

10. Unhappy Kiss of Death

Wouldn't you know it? I justed posted about my good experiences with measuring and the very next project, I can't measure anything.

Need someone to confirm my suspicions...

Facts:
    1. Senor reading was Zero.
    2. Cleaned sensors with air (as I always do).
    3. Sensor reading was Zero.
    4. Could not get any indication that the LED is on.
    5. Removed sensor and cleaned.
    6. Reinstalled sensor.
    7. Sensor reading is Zero.

Conclusion:
    • Sensor is dead!

I'll call tomorrow and order one.

While I have jobs that need to be done, at least I can start catching up on the scans I need to do.
    tim

-----------------------------------------------------
    Download your FREE CCW Pattern Organizer for Windows.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast