Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A special gift

1. Red face A special gift

A few weeks ago, a customer called to ask if I could help out with a very special project. The husband of a woman that the friend works with passed away very unexpectedly (at age 42). Under the circumstances, she was unable to afford an urn for his ashes. He loved to do woodwork, so we decided to make an urn that would hold the ashes (and the 6"x6"x6" plastic box the crematorium gave her). The design is simple, but it is exactly what she wanted.

The attached photos show the results. I did the design, layout, and cutting; my friend did the assembly and finishing.

Notice that we made the sides out of a single piece of 1", 60 year old oak. Using a single piece allowed us to "wrap" the grain from side to front to side to back. The bottom of the inside is lined in green felt.

Total payment for this one was a teary thank you from the widow - debt paid in full I think. (It did, however, give me - and maybe some of you - an idea for another big-ticket market.)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FL.jpg   F.jpg   FR.jpg   FRT.jpg  

Open.jpg  
    tim

-----------------------------------------------------
    Download your FREE CCW Pattern Organizer for Windows.

Very, very nice!!
    The 50-50-90 rule: Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

Do it on a Mac.
    Vietnam Vet '65-'66

Default A special gift

Great job on the box! What bit did you use to get the lettering so small and so clean looking?

Very Nice! Not something I would have thought of doing but gives me some ideas

Like you, I love matching grain - always cut my drawers in sequence so the grain runs across the piece. It's the little things that make the difference in how something looks

Again, very nice!
    "I think heaven is going to be a huge wood shop where all the tools work and nothing ever needs sharpening."
    OldJoe

Very nice work Tim. I to am interested in the lettering on top of the box. You use a 90 degree bit?

Default Great job.

Helping others, is a great feeling and a thank you and a smile is the best payment, ever. You are blessed.
    Thanks
    Jack
    Jack of all trades ,master of none, but if you got a job, I'll git-er-done.

http://theswamper.tripod.com/

Excellent work and a very nice gesture-Under the circumstances the payment you received
    is very heart warming and for myself it would be more then enough.
    Computers-Yuk....I should junk it...It never does what it should do...only what I tell it.

8. Red face Font and bit used...

Quote Originally Posted by dewey6800 View Post
    What bit did you use to get the lettering so small and so clean looking?
    The font is Perpetua Titling MT (bold) on everything. The front has medium draft. The top was a 60 degree bit for the added depth.
    tim

-----------------------------------------------------
    Download your FREE CCW Pattern Organizer for Windows.

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by twehr View Post
    A few weeks ago, a customer called to ask if I could help out with a very special project. The husband of a woman that the friend works with passed away very unexpectedly (at age 42). Under the circumstances, she was unable to afford an urn for his ashes. He loved to do woodwork, so we decided to make an urn that would hold the ashes (and the 6"x6"x6" plastic box the crematorium gave her). The design is simple, but it is exactly what she wanted.

The attached photos show the results. I did the design, layout, and cutting; my friend did the assembly and finishing.

Notice that we made the sides out of a single piece of 1", 60 year old oak. Using a single piece allowed us to "wrap" the grain from side to front to side to back. The bottom of the inside is lined in green felt.

Total payment for this one was a teary thank you from the widow - debt paid in full I think. (It did, however, give me - and maybe some of you - an idea for another big-ticket market.)

You are awesome! I too believe the best payment is appreciation and what you did is the best. You cared enough for someone you didn't even know. She will remember your kindness for life.

Money is never as important as human compassion, an example we rarely see these days. Reminds me of a man who taught us the ultimate human compassion many many years ago!

Thanks for sharing and for your kindness. You know a possible market could be for pets. I mostly have made memorials for pets and this would be another wonderful contribute.

Rav

10. Thumbs up Nice project BIG HEART

Thanks for making all of us fellow CW people look better. What you did was a true act of kindness that I know in my heart will be repaided may times over. Stay well and safe. jim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast