Thread: Paddle Scan

Default Paddle Scan

I intend to start making kayak paddles....one of my original reasons to purchase the machine. I'm finally getting my first scan. Hopefully I can tweak the shape and contours so I'm not just making a knock-off of an existing design.

I had email LHR inquiring if it had ever been done. No reply. Now we have an answer.

sw
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Paddle_Scan.jpg  
    It's all about the XYZ baby!

Default Paddle png

Here's the results. Not bad for my first scan. Gotta smooth the edges, fill in the space between the two ribs so it's rounded, change the shape....I'll have a new woody to go along with my homemade surf yak.

Seeing the scan in Designer then working with it in PhotoShop gives me a whole new perspective on grey scale. Not much more than I had but some.

sw
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails paddle1.jpg  

Can't you just invert that to fill in that area?

Yep, grayscale is the key.
    Christopher Neil Albrecht
    Occasional Carvings
    Just A Flowing With The Grain

Ver. 1.187 on XP Pro Desktop
    Ver. 1.187 on Win. 7/64 Laptop

Patterns At The Depot

Quote Originally Posted by sweliver View Post
    Here's the results. Not bad for my first scan. Gotta smooth the edges, fill in the space between the two ribs so it's rounded, change the shape....I'll have a new woody to go along with my homemade surf yak.

Seeing the scan in Designer then working with it in PhotoShop gives me a whole new perspective on grey scale. Not much more than I had but some.

sw
    Are you going to cut these from both sides or leave one side flat ? Like to see apicture of you yak.

Ver 1.179
    HP-Nvidia HD Video Card
    Windows 7 Ultimate
    Scanning with Carvewight Probe and Next Engine 3d Laser Scanner HD
    If you have any scanning needs let us know.Check Out Our Patterns in the depot under eromran

If you allow it to happen, you can let today erase all of yesterday or if you choose,you can let yesterday erase the rest of your life.
    Ed

eromran

The scan is the back face of the paddle. My plan is to carve that and use it as a mold for vacuum forming. The front surface shape will be rendered by the underlying layers and the form.

My surf yak is based on surfyak.com I've made a few modifications to the bow/stern tip by filling in 8 or so inches of airspace with balsa wood so I can form the tips more like a surf board. I also tweaked the rocker a little so I could eliminate the goofy looking bow extension.

No matter how it turns out...if it surfs well for my weight, I'll like it. If it don't surf well, my grandson will love it.

sw

eromran,

I just noticed your avatar. Nice!!!

My boat is a "box", not strip built like yours. Depending on performance, I might use this basic shape and design a strip built version.

A friend of mine with no woodworking skills built a kit touring kayak, then a scratch skin on frame Inuit kayak, and is now finishing up a completely hand crafted, lap sided 17 ft sailboat. His workmanship would put most to shame, including me. He has crafted many Inuit style paddles which he uses exclusively. That's my next scan.

I want to carve a bow figure for him but haven't found a design I like.

Quote Originally Posted by sweliver View Post
    eromran,

I just noticed your avatar. Nice!!!

My boat is a "box", not strip built like yours. Depending on performance, I might use this basic shape and design a strip built version.

A friend of mine with no woodworking skills built a kit touring kayak, then a scratch skin on frame Inuit kayak, and is now finishing up a completely hand crafted, lap sided 17 ft sailboat. His workmanship would put most to shame, including me. He has crafted many Inuit style paddles which he uses exclusively. That's my next scan.

I want to carve a bow figure for him but haven't found a design I like.
    When i first got the CW i was thinking of doing a two sided carving of a paddle then just laying fiberglass or Kevlar over it but have not got around to it yet. As far as paddle goes it would be cool to cut a design into paddle by filling it with epoxy an / or fiberglass it would remain smooth. You could just let the CW carve a texture on the hole thing to make it look like it was made out of bark the possibilities are endless wiyh this machine goodluck.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bark.jpg  
    Last edited by eromran; 03-31-2008 at 08:27 AM. Reason: Adding Pic

Ver 1.179
    HP-Nvidia HD Video Card
    Windows 7 Ultimate
    Scanning with Carvewight Probe and Next Engine 3d Laser Scanner HD
    If you have any scanning needs let us know.Check Out Our Patterns in the depot under eromran

If you allow it to happen, you can let today erase all of yesterday or if you choose,you can let yesterday erase the rest of your life.
    Ed