Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My attempt at switch plates

Auriclux,

Looking at the last image attached in your first post, it appears that you have a 1/4" thick board taped to a larger (width and length) board to get a thickness recognizable by the machine. Is this correct? Did you run it through the machine this way? If I'm looking at the picture correctly, I would think that when the machine is finding the top of the board it will measure to the top of the bottom board and not to the top of the board you are carving. So when it starts to carve, the machine thinks the top surface is 1/4" below the board you are trying to carve. This may be the cause of your carve-through issues on your switch plates, and why it choked on the last one. The rollers may have dropped off your 1/4" piece down to your carrier piece causing an error. Trying taping up a 1/4" board to a carrier board that has the same length and width. Thin double sided carpet tape works great for this. Be careful with any cutouts (Don't do any), as the machine will cut through both boards and your top 1/4" cutout will NOT be attached to anything and will come loose with the potential of breaking a bit or worse. The cutout tabs will only secure the bottom piece of your sled.

Hope this helps.

Those are really great looking switch plate.

HT

kwyjibo67 asked, "Looking at the last image attached in your first post, it appears that you have a 1/4" thick board taped to a larger (width and length) board"

What I have done is rout a 1/4" deep well into the back side of my sled (new sled, haven't tried it for it's original purpose yet) to fit the 1/4" stock. The fit is pretty good and the stock is pretty flat, but the tape is there for that last bit of security in holding the stock in the well. So, no the issue isn't that the rollers are falling off a 1/4" cliff and I don't think the machine is sensitive to the height differences that feel like they're measured in 1/1000's.

I see that there are other threads on minimum font heights - that may be what happened to the top switchplate.

And thanks HT, those plates were scanned with the probe.
    Scot
    Things I've learned so far (use to search):
    Lube the shaft & clean machine
    Keep 1/2" from top of board to top of cut region
    actualDepth = -0.0025 * Height * (greyLevel/255) +Depth
    Designer rez is 128 dpi & use .png
    Where everybody is: http://compucarvewright.com/content/view/27/2/
    Make a hush box for the loud machine - still need help with the high freq whine.
    PreciseBits.com Item#CM404-0625-100BC & Loctite Blue

Default Wow

Quote Originally Posted by RayTrek View Post
    My method to this project

The carves came out pretty good but I have a bit to go in using the right method of designer to achieve less clean up, especially with the “Decora” rectangular carve out and the mounting holes.
    I have been in electronics and control in the ski lift industry for over 20 years and been doing residential electrical spare time for 25 years and now trying to do it full time, and the one thing I have noticed is there are few choices in switch plates. So am trying to create a line of custom covers, just for fun.
    I have include MPC file that I used for carve and if anyone would like to improve on it please post it again with fixes.
    I have about 40 cover designs built in designer but Not there yet with layout.
    If there is interest I will post more, with fixes.

Thanks to all of you for getting me as far as I have in the learning carve,
    Cheers to all, Ray Ver. 1.126

Any chance you could post some more of the single and double switch Rustic Variants? All I can seem to find for switch plates are for the wide dimmer switchs.

Thanks ScottS

Default Thank you

Hi Scott, welcome to the community
    I only have this one built at this time that I feel is good enough to post
    And even at that it is a littel deep for toggle switch and requires sanding or planning back side and scroll saw work but this is my best effort
    You can put different patterns on the top to your like
    will later put together a 2 gang swt plate pattern and the one with trees and post it for you
    Thank you and show your pics
    Ray Ver 1.126
    Also put in a pic of the png file will take some doing but you can convert it back to png and make mods on it with the help of many post here.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1gangtoggsw.jpg   01swsglogfram.jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks Ray It will be a little while before I try in Cut Something like these. I appericate your help and Def. Will post some pics a projects are made.

Thnaks ScottS

Default Tree Frame toggel

Here is another for you and a pic of the two gang png I have not set it up in mpc see what you can do with it. Have some Fun.
    Thanks for the interest these have been a fun project for me.
    Ray
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 01togtreeSW.jpg   01togSWtree.jpg   02togSWtree.jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Default Thanks Ray

Rustic is right up my alley. I will be playing with theses. Thanks so much for some insight.

ScottS

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12