Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: lego scanner

Default lego scanner

Has any one posted
    this url http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1suOhVilSDg its a crude scanner but it sure would be nice to have a scanner that we could use without tying up our carv3write.
    Bear with me I am going thru withdraws my machine is on the fritz.
    http://william.bowen.com/:)
    ("There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance-that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
    - Herbert Spencer )

This brings up a question about scanning software. Does anyone know how the CW scanning software inputs the X,Y,Z info or what type of file types are usable for input. Does there need to be a file converter for other file types?
    If anyone were to find a different scanner, how would the file be converted into CW use? Thanks Wyndham

Quote Originally Posted by wynpotter View Post
    This brings up a question about scanning software. Does anyone know how the CW scanning software inputs the X,Y,Z info or what type of file types are usable for input. Does there need to be a file converter for other file types?
    If anyone were to find a different scanner, how would the file be converted into CW use? Thanks Wyndham
    Hi Wyndham,

I'm not sure if this done at the machine or software level but, the x,y,z coordinates are translated into gray scale to produce an "image". This image can be saved in any graphics format but PNG is the one to use.

But it's just that, an "Image". Although it may take you months..lol, you could "paint" the same thing the scanner produces in a basic paint program using gray scale. I have done so many times.

As far as, "getting the raw x,y,z coordinates data output", I don't know. As I said, I'm not sure where the translation is done. At the machine, at the software or both.

Hope that helps.
    Chris
    Christopher Neil Albrecht
    Occasional Carvings
    Just A Flowing With The Grain

Ver. 1.187 on XP Pro Desktop
    Ver. 1.187 on Win. 7/64 Laptop

Patterns At The Depot

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisAlb View Post
    As far as, "getting the raw x,y,z coordinates data output", I don't know. As I said, I'm not sure where the translation is done. At the machine, at the software or both.
    As the CW scans, it saves a greyscale image to the memory card. When the image is downloaded in Designer to the Pattern Editor, it's converted into an 8bit greyscale image. (The depth information on the memory card is >8bits.)

OK, so that would mean the translation from 3D space coordinates to gray scale image is done at the machine. The actual scan on the card is already an "image". Cool!
    Christopher Neil Albrecht
    Occasional Carvings
    Just A Flowing With The Grain

Ver. 1.187 on XP Pro Desktop
    Ver. 1.187 on Win. 7/64 Laptop

Patterns At The Depot

Then that would mean that any file like STL or OBJ from "David laser scanner" to 8 bit greyscale png or other 3d files like autocad, etc to greyscale would give the same results as long as the greyscale is calibrated to what the CW scanner produces.
    Becauase of my inexperience with some of these programs like "blender" and the like, I have not understood how to relate the greyscale png it produces to what i expect to see in CW. Still have a ways to go, Wyndham

Default to visualize a greyscale

think that black will carve deepest and white will be top of board midway between (midgrey) would be half way into the board in general. that helps you think what will carve the deepest.

Actually CW is backwards from most 3D programs.

Most 3D programs pure white (255,255,255) is the highest point. In CW the default is pure black (0,0,0) as the highest point.

A crude visual in profile (looking at it edge on instead of the top)
    Code:
           \
             \
               \
                   \
                     \
                       \ 
    Would produce an incline with the highest point to the left and going down to the right.

Quote Originally Posted by roughcut View Post
    Has any one posted
    this url http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1suOhVilSDg its a crude scanner but it sure would be nice to have a scanner that we could use without tying up our carv3write.
    Bear with me I am going thru withdraws my machine is on the fritz.
    Sheesh people will make scanners out of just about anything huh? Actually as crude as that is it produced a fairly good rough valley terrain.

Here are 2 more methods.

This is pretty neat
    http://www.david-laserscanner.com/

And with milk
    http://www.instructables.com/id/Milkscanner-V1.0/

To get a real good scan with the David scanner you really need a good line laser that has a consistently bright beam and as thin as possible. Those from laser leveler are just too thick and produce a line of dots which would be bad.

Default Food for thought...

Now that is food for thought..... Very Interesting ideas.

That was a Mooooving Video.....

Boy I am really Milking this post....

AL

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast