Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: lego scanner

The B-W relationship when importing an image into Designer has always been backwards (no matter how it was imported). When I started working on CBPE I found out that internally patterns are 0 = transparent, 1 = lowest, 255 = highest. This can cause great confusion if you are trying to make sure certain things are at certain levels.

My best advice is to always make your design take up the full 0-255 range (zero begin the transparent background); with 1 = lowest and 255 = highest. Then when you import into Designer use the 'Invert' tool to 'undo the invert Designer throws in. Then when you use the depth and height in Designer you will always get what you are expecting. Designer expects patterns will take up the entire 0-255 range and if yours doesn't your height or depth setting won't be accurate (as you have a gap on one or both end of your pattern).
    Happy carving , Jeff Birt

Check out www.soigeneris.com for CarveWright Accesories.

Home of the 'Carving in the Dark' back lit LCD kit!

Precisely!!
    Christopher Neil Albrecht
    Occasional Carvings
    Just A Flowing With The Grain

Ver. 1.187 on XP Pro Desktop
    Ver. 1.187 on Win. 7/64 Laptop

Patterns At The Depot

That's not usually the results I get *shrug*

I created a square grid in photoshop with 17 sqaures starting at 0,0,0 to 255,255,255 at 15 unit increments and 0,0,0 was at the top and 255,255,255 was at the bottom both on import and saved as a ptn. This is 1.126

But to throw more confusion into the pot. Most rendering programs have a Z-depth render and/or an altitude/height render.

Z-depth is looking at a scene at normal eye level, when rendered closer objects are rendered darker than further objects. This seems to be how CW sees things as default.

But an altitude/height render which is viewed top down (ie directly above the object looking down at the ground) renders white as the highest point and black as the lowest.

From what has been posted in this thread it almost appears whoever designed the software for CW mixed up both styles of render.

The B-W relationship when importing an image into Designer has always been backwards (no matter how it was imported). When I started working on CBPE I found out that internally patterns are 0 = transparent, 1 = lowest, 255 = highest. This can cause great confusion if you are trying to make sure certain things are at certain levels.
    Please re-read what I wrote earlier. Internally in Designer patterns are just height-maps (1 = lowest level, 255 = highest level). For some reason the import function is ***-backwards. Create your patterns as height-maps when you import them into Designer ALWAYS invert them.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff_Birt View Post
    Please re-read what I wrote earlier. Internally in Designer patterns are just height-maps (1 = lowest level, 255 = highest level). For some reason the import function is ***-backwards. Create your patterns as height-maps when you import them into Designer ALWAYS invert them.
    But that is what I'm trying to say. When I saved the pattern and use it in designer the 0,0,0 is still the highest point without any inverting. Are you saying even though the attached .ptn shows the 0,0,0 square in designer as the highest point it will actually carve it as the lowest?

Realise all I did to get this pattern was copy it from photoshop, used import picture, from clipboard and saved as ptn. There was no inverting in photshop, import nor designer.
    Attached Files Attached Files

No, I'm saying that you need to INVERT the pattern when you import it. When you get to the second page when importing the image look at the third button under 'Options', the 'Invert' button. Invert the pattern and then you are all set.

OK I think I see the confusion at least on my part

We are in the scanning probe forum thus talking about scanning imports which are different than an import created in a graphics program.

As I discussed above there are 2 scanning/rendering methods used in programs.

A z-depth/distance mask which if you look at a scene (for example outdoors) near objects (highest point) are rendered dark and far objects (lowest point) are rendered light. This seems to be designer's default mode.

The second is a height/altitude render which is a top down view of the scene with the highest points rendered white and lowest black. This appears to be the scanning probe's default mode.

Thus what you say is true when importing the scan probe pattern (or any image where the white depicts the highest points) always invert it.

CW should have stuck strictly with a height/altitude mode for everything which would avoid confusion for people not used to working with greyscale height maps.

I agree sticking with height-maps would have been much simpler. My other point was when creating patterns always use the entire 0-255 range. If not you have blank section on top and/or bottom of your pattern that throw off what you think you should get with Designers depth and height settings.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123