Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: From Clip-Art To Carving

Wink From Clip-Art To Carving

Hey Everyone,

I've received so many Pm's, emails and yes, even a phone call or two all based mostly around two questions......

How the heck do I work with graphics in a "given" program to make a nice carving?

And

Where do I start from?

Well, the answers aren't easy and I can assure you it takes a lot of time and some knowledge. Most notably the following are, in my opinion, Critical.

1) A good general knowledge of wood and how it "works". Understanding what to expect when putting "cutting tools" to varying types of wood helps greatly. This isn't "absolutely" necessary IF you can produce the correct artwork. The beauty of the CCW is that, a well designed pattern will carve nicely in most anything.

2) A good to thorough understanding of the graphics application you're using is simply a MUST! (this also implies a good to thorough understanding of computers and how to multitask several applications at once and together). All of which have their own "extensive" help files. Folks, I've been using PSP since it was first introduced in version 2d for DOS. I now use PSP 10 aka, Corel Paint Shop X2 and I'm still reading and learning.

3) A good understanding of how the Designer software will then handle that "seeming" nice work of art you just finished in that graphics application. AND

4) Understanding exactly how the CCW machine "Sees" the image for carving. When designing, you have to "think with the CCW eyes".

In an attempt to help folks with these questions, each time I answer one I save the information and store it for later use in assembling some guides. Due to the fact there are as many varying graphics applications as there are stars, I've decide the best approach to this would be to lay out a general guide in the "Procedures and Steps" to get from the clip-art image you see below and the result of simply importing it into Designer "as is", to the finished carving you also see.

Make no mistake folks. This art work process took many many hours to complete but as you can see, anyone who truly wants to, can do this. I'll also note that, many times along the way the results would have been "good enough" for many. I just happen to be very picky...lol. The point is, you don't have to take it this far to have an "acceptable" carving. If you want perfection....well....It's all up to the "beholder" as to how much time it's worth.

I have completed a rough draft of part one, in a multi part guide to "The Basics Of Image Editing For The CCW". It's in the form of a 4mb Word Doc right now. I've emailed it to the forum member that asked for help with these questions and this particular image and I'm waiting to hear back as to the guides helpfulness or, lack there of for him....lol

I've based it all on using X2 since that's MY most understood package. But it's illustrated with screen shots of the "steps" and the resulting "look" of the image after each step. This way, As long as you can "reproduce" the results using your program, you'll get there. If you happen to be using X2, PSP 9 or 8, you'll have a pretty good step by step and illustrated guide to it's tools, menus, settings and uses as well.

If it turns out to be good, I'll figure out how (maybe with a Moderators help here?) to post it in here for easy access. I don't know, maybe in PDF or something. This will be an going project that I've since learned, will take a LONG time to complete so your patience and understanding will be most appreciated and I hope, well rewarded.

Chris

Original Image..........It's result........After the Artwork
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Starting Image.jpg   Spear Carve Start.jpg   Spear Carve Finshed.jpg  
    Last edited by ChrisAlb; 03-12-2008 at 11:04 AM.
    Christopher Neil Albrecht
    Occasional Carvings
    Just A Flowing With The Grain

Ver. 1.187 on XP Pro Desktop
    Ver. 1.187 on Win. 7/64 Laptop

Patterns At The Depot

Chris,

I'd like to see your finished document here. You create excellent pieces.

My problem must be I'm STILL not not thinking like Designer.

I agree, even my hack job attempts so far have taken many hours from screen to carve. I'll be starting my 3rd attempt at a 10"X10" Maltese Cross with our Fire Dept logo on it. After hours in designer and 1.5 hr/carve.....
    My second attempt at a litho turned out acceptable.

Quit carving and get that document done.

Steve
    It's all about the XYZ baby!

Thanks for the compliments Steve,

I'm thinking probably Published to PDF format might be best. I'm not sure how big it will be once published but if it's less than the 488.3kb max. I'll post it.
    Christopher Neil Albrecht
    Occasional Carvings
    Just A Flowing With The Grain

Ver. 1.187 on XP Pro Desktop
    Ver. 1.187 on Win. 7/64 Laptop

Patterns At The Depot

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisAlb View Post
    Thanks for the compliments Steve,

I'm thinking probably Published to PDF format might be best. I'm not sure how big it will be once published but if it's less than the 488.3kb max. I'll post it.
    Chris,

Send me a copy of the finished pdf and I'll get it on the web for you. I'd be absolutely amazed if it was below the size limit.

Also, if anyone is interested, there is a simple pdf generator called CutePDF Writer. I know there is a slew of these available, however this one DOES NOT display those annoying popup windows that many others display.
    Greg (ver. 1.130)

Thumbs up Nice Chris!

Great read and thanks for sharing.

Default ChrisAlb - query re Edit tutorial

Did you ever post the tutorial you were working on explaing 'From Clip-Art to Carving'? Would really like to acquire same ... thanks, rafa

Red face One please

Put me down for a copy. If your taking orders SIR.
    Bernie :^)

Wisdom has no value unless it's shared.
    Ver. 177 in Test mode Ver.134 in reserve

I would love a copy too......Please

Dale

Me too Chris, guess you must be on vacation hope you are having a great time. I for one really miss your presence.

Since Chris started this thread back in March, I'm wondering if his document (finished or draft) is available to forum members. I'd sure like to read it. I've tried manipulating photos in PhotoShop and then importing and carving them, but they don't look that good after being carved.

Thanks,
    Rocky

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast