Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another Looker

Default Another Looker

Hello everyone, I started reading the forum the other day to help with my descion to buy or not. To me reading a review site or actual forum for the product in mind is the same as reading the manual before turning on the machine and destroying it. Hopefully not reading the manual is the cause for many of these problems I been reading about.

I have a few questions to ask those you using the machine. I have a neighbor that works for sears that I talked to today about the Compucarve. He said he has sold 5 of them and none have had any problems so far. He also said he did a lot of research into the machine and warranty when he sold his first one to another good freind. I do believe he is one of the last customer service oriented salemen that cares. Hes also 73 and says yes sir and thank you.

I have an appointment with him Wendsday morning at the store to go over discounts, CC discounts, 5 year warranty and getting prices on the probe and complete bit set. If I am going to get this machine and invest over $2K I want to give myself the best shot at it and be prepared for whatever I intend to to do with it. I already know if I have any problems with the machine it has to be sent to another site for repairs. We are a very small town 110 miles away from any repair center.

I really would like to hear from everyone that has and has not had problems with their machine. Has it been a short down time, have you gotten to do many projects before experiencing any problems.

I also understand that the machine out now is a second generation machine. If so, has alot of the bugs been worked or do many of the originals still exsist. Like I said before, it looks like a lot of the problems were caused by human error. But some of the problems seem to be pretty serious like blown motors, drives and sensors.

My plans for this machine is to do small project to sell at a huge christmas expo in November. I was stunned by some of the portraits, lithophanes and other projects you people are putting out. Its fantastic that a lot of you woman are doing such great works as its really got my wife interested in it also.

I guess what I am asking is, can I expect my machine to break down or have most of you experienced little to no problems with your machines. Hopefully there is a huge percentage that has had no problems that just aren't visiting or writting the good reviews. And only the ones with problems are finding these review sites and forums to complain.

Thanks for any suggestion, advise and comments you can give. This is one of the biggest tool investments I have made in awhile other then my Craftmans Professional table saw and 18" thickness planner. Even at that they they were both about the same cost as this one machine. But what a fantastic concept at this price. If this machine work as well as they have over the years, then I have no worries.

Default some machines have gremlins some don't

if you get a bad one take it back for a REFUND instead of working on it walk to the next register and order another one. if everyone would do this they would have to address the qaulity control issue.

I purchased my unit from Sears in October 2007. I have about 100 hours on it, so far no problems. Read the manual, keep the machine clean, read the forum, keep the machine clean. There is a learning curve. You will make lots of designer firewood untill you get used to the machine, and what you can do with it. Have fun.
    Welcome to the forum, and remember these people in here will do the best they can to help you with any questions or problems you may have.

Gunner

Default Sears Craftsman

SandBouy,
    Craftsman Members get a good price ($1538.99) through the end of Feb.'08.
    Bud
    Check out the Zipped AVI lesson on 'Text Tool' (15.3 MB)
    AskBud Downloads =>> CLICK HERE
    Lesson added
    7/15/2012 Titles begin with "2D-3D Build a Pattern-Part-3"

CW Vacuum Head Project =>> CLICK HERE
    AskBud Home Page =>> CLICK HERE <<=PC lessons or CW lessons

More than 1250 AskBud patterns
    vvv-CLICK BELOW-vvv
    http://store.carvewright.com/manufac...ufacturerid=29

Quote Originally Posted by SandBuoy View Post
    I guess what I am asking is, can I expect my machine to break down or have most of you experienced little to no problems with your machines. Hopefully there is a huge percentage that has had no problems that just aren't visiting or writting the good reviews. And only the ones with problems are finding these review sites and forums to complain.
    Hi SandBuoy and welcome,

You hit the nail here for sure. Out of the nearly 14,000 machines sold, a very small percentage of them have had any "serious" issues. You're right on also with, people not having problems seldom write in to say so but folks with issues, ALWAYS do...lol.

I've owned mine since August 07, have over 150 cut hours on it and have had very little troubles. I love this machine and I'm looking at a second one soon (I hope...lol)

Chris
    Christopher Neil Albrecht
    Occasional Carvings
    Just A Flowing With The Grain

Ver. 1.187 on XP Pro Desktop
    Ver. 1.187 on Win. 7/64 Laptop

Patterns At The Depot

Thanks so far for the information and welcome gang. Starting to all excited about my trip to the store tomorrow to talk with Jim about ordering my machine. I did find some other post made other places about the machine that started making me feel a little easier about this.

Not to knock anyone or maybe I am expecting to much from this machine, but I plan on putting more then 10-15 hours a week on this machine. If all goes right and really like the preformance I may get another one a little later down the road.

I am retired, for now, and was looking for something with an endless opportunity for me to keep busy with and make some money with. After seeing some of the lithophanes and coins made on this machine, I think I will target in on from seashore projects as I live right on the Oregon caost in a big tourist town.

I was also thinking I would like to try making a Ocean shores lampshape. Put the carving on a thinner peice of maple or popular and then bend it round to make a see threw wooded lamp shade. Mayne even some nature veiws of the mountains might be a good seller.

Anyway, thanks so far for the input. I agree that good lubrication and cleaning the machine after each use may solve a lot of the machine break downs.

Not to knock anyone or maybe I am expecting to much from this machine, but I plan on putting more then 10-15 hours a week on this machine. If all goes right and really like the preformance I may get another one a little later down the road.
    Mine runs "on average" about 30 to 40 hours a week. That's why I need a second one too. I think your ideas sound really GREAT too! Can't wait to see them come to life. And uh... we really LOVE pictures in here so be sure to post some when you can.

Chris
    Christopher Neil Albrecht
    Occasional Carvings
    Just A Flowing With The Grain

Ver. 1.187 on XP Pro Desktop
    Ver. 1.187 on Win. 7/64 Laptop

Patterns At The Depot

... After seeing some of the lithophanes and coins made on this machine, I think I will target in on from seashore projects as I live right on the Oregon caost in a big tourist town.
    Hello SandBuoy,

Your ideas sound great and I'm sure you'll have a lot of enjoyment creating projects with your machine.

Just thought I would let you know that the coin projects that were done were derived from metal "coin coasters" that were scanned to make patterns (about 3" diameter if I recall). Real coins are too small to make patterns from (via the scanning probe).
    Last edited by mtylerfl; 02-26-2008 at 10:27 AM.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Welcome Sandbuoy. Just thought I would throw in my 2 cents worth after all you asked for everyone. I bought my first Machine about a year ago put about 15 hours on it and it went dead. Took it back to Sears and they took it back and ordered me a new one. Only one question asked what was wrong with it, other then that no problem with the exchange the replacement machine I have had for not quite a year and has I think 70 hours on it. Had only a couple problems Z axis went out on it and 2 board sensors. But LHR was great to deal with. Took about a week to get the replacement parts. One recommendation though I would get the centerline text option. You have to get that thru LHR but it will be well worth it for you. And follow the advice on this forum as far as lubricants, The other thing and that is take it slow at first have to learn to walk before you can run.
    Where is the "Any Key" key located on the keypad
    Growing old is a privilege not everyone gets to enjoy.

Thanks again gents

Joe, I will look into the centerline text option and thanks for bringing that up. That the kind of information I am looking for and didn't see that mentioned anywhere.

Mtyler, I think I read that somehwre in the forum the other night. Someone mentioned that they tried scanning a coin and it didn't come out very well. I have freinds that collect various coins and will freak getting a box with the coins carved on top. Planning on trying to carve a few metal detector plaques for me and my fellow treasure hunters. Hopeing the probe will scan a hate pin shaped like a detector.

Chris, man thats what I wanted to hear, a machine that gets some hours put on it and keep in ticking. I have a 5x8 shed built inside my 22x58 garage that going to make a great sound proof project room for this machine. I even put a dust vent in it using a 8" fan vented to the outside.

Gosh people, after all thsi reading, looking at the cool projects and seeing them come to life by you all, when is tomorrow going to get here. Worse part is waiting for the machine to get here and hoping for to damage or a bad machine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast