Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sears Warranty Response

Default Sears Warranty Response

We understand that Sears has begun selling extended warranties on the
    CompuCarve. We do not honor or service any extended warranty at this time.
    We can only refer you back to the Sears store where the sale was made.

Thank you.

LHR Technologies

Default question then

May I ask why you are not offering an extended warranty?
    Still using 1.120 & 1.126

Maybe because its almost impossible to tell if alot of people are ignoring one of their statements in the warranty section:

The warranty does not cover commercial or industrial use.

But yet you still see alot of people using it for this reason. But if sears is offering the extented warranty then I guess sears will have to flip the bill.

Default extended warranty

I'm a electronic service industry guy by day, woodworker in my spare time after the day job is over.
    Let me explain something to you who are asking about "extended warranties" and see if we can clear up some confusion.

Compare buying your Carvewright Machine to buying a Chevy Truck or a Sony TV. It comes with a MANUFACTURER WARRANTY. That warranty designates a time span during which the manufacturer will repair their product due to manufacturing defect.

It does not matter if you bought the product at Sears, Jim Bobs Chevrolet, or Best Buy....they are DEALERS...they are not MANUFACTURERS.

EXTENDED WARRANTIES are like buying insurance for your Chevy truck from State Farm....if you wreck your truck or blow the engine, State Farm will pay a THIRD PARTY Servicer to do the repair (if the terms of the extended warranty/insurance says it will- read the fine print- thats how lawyers make a living).
    Chevy does not fix your truck, State Farm does not fix your truck...State Farm pays Joe's Body Shop and Garage to fix your truck. Neither Chevy nor Joe is going to give you a "loaner car" while yours is being fixed.

Some MANUFACTURERS do indeed sell their own extended warranty and do their own repairs...but it is very rare. ( In the auto world, the service department is a completely separate entity from the DEALERSHIP even if they operate under the same name in the same building)

We, the Carvewright users have been very fortunate to have LHR at our disposal to inquire about repairs both in and out of MANUFACTURER WARRANTY regardless of whether we bought our machine directly, from Sears, from some website or from the guy down the street....and regardless of whether we have an in-warranty manufacturer defect, out of warranty problem, misused it, abused it, or just plain wore it out!

EXTENDED WARRANTIES are INSURANCE POLICIES. Neither the MANUFACTURER or the SERVICER are in control of, or responsible for what that warranty/insurance policy covers, or what some salesman may have led you to believe.

LHR provides excellent customer service both IN and OUT of warranty.
    Try calling Sony about your $4000 plasma TV one week past manufacturer warranty and see what you get!
    Thats the reality of it...read the fine print.

Fine, it's great to have an actual response on the forum by LHR. What never seems to get answered is what happens when your machine goes bad under the Sears MPA. Do they pay LHR for the repairs or simply replace the machine?
    To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk.
    Thomas A. Edison

Default extended warranty reality

Quote Originally Posted by deemon328 View Post
    Fine, it's great to have an actual response on the forum by LHR. What never seems to get answered is what happens when your machine goes bad under the Sears MPA. Do they pay LHR for the repairs or simply replace the machine?
    most likely Sears themselves repairs the machine IF it is outside the MANUFACTURERS warranty period. Sears does have a service department still, even thought it is much smaller than in days gone by. Whether or not Sears techs are trained is anybody's guess. Also whether they have something set-up with LHR as far as parts is anybodys guess...perhaps I should not assume to make blanket statements like that...you should contact Sears (or the INSURANCE PROVIDER they sell "extended warranties" for) to see how that all works.
    I'll level with ya. I'm in the TV repair biz. We do Warranty and Extended Warranty work for all the main MANUFACTURERS (Sony, MItsubishi, Hitachi, Phillips,Samsung ect) and DEALERS (Circuit City, Best Buy, HH Gregg, Wal Mart, ect.) and EXTENDED WARRANTY PROVIDERS ( NEW, GE, COSCO ect)
    and we are factory certified to work on each manufacturers gear...but that does not nessecarily mean we are "trained" on each and every unit they produce. Neither does that mean your EXTENDED WARRANTY company will necessarily "farm out" your repair to a third party that is "factory certified".

LHR, on the other hand is a "one trick pony". They have one unit they make and sell, Sears is the only outlet I've ever heard of that sells their product for them...they probably have some tie to one another service-wise, but as a wise consumer would do, find out the details from the source.
    Remember the people who thought All State and State Farm had their back after Katrina. Alot of those people didn't do their homework. Their "insurance" didn't begin to cover them in the way they "believed" it would.
    Buyer beware.
    Last edited by scw; 02-19-2008 at 02:07 PM. Reason: spell

Default just a thought

As i hear many others defending this topic, I would simply like to add the fact that after having had more than my share of issues over the course of a years time under warranty, I would guess that it would not be in there best intrest to offer this at this time. Backing up a product that works all the time is a profitable gain to a company, giving the customer a comfort zone. Extending a warranty for a product that has known issues for a simple hobby(assuming it is used for this purpose and not industrial or business) is not at all profitable. If i have as much downtime in the next year out of warranty, the cost of a warranty would pay for itself for me a couple times over. The fact that this question has been asked many times before says alot for this topics validity. Is it wrong for me to assume they will back up the product they sold me on?
    Still using 1.120 & 1.126

Default warranty woes

Quote Originally Posted by newcarver View Post
    A ...I would guess that it would not be in there best intrest to offer this at this time..... Is it wrong for me to assume they will back up the product they sold me on?
    Still it seems people tend to misunderstand...
    manufacturers rarely offer extended warranties. Extended warranties are issued by insurance companies. The manufacturers are not involved.

I'm not saying that your unit will not be repaired by your warranty provider. Just understand that it is not LHR that you will be dealing with (unless LHR does the repair for the warranty provider, which at this time they do not).

I've had my share of glitches and outright meltdowns with my machine...but LHR has always been there to help me out.
    Instant gratification (no matter how much you want it or paid for it in an extended warranty) is not within the power of any servicer in these days of "global commerce".
    Hopefully you will never need to use your extended warranty. But if you do, I'll bet your servicer calls LHR at the same support phone number you and I use today on our own....and they'll have an answer.

and take it from an insider...extended warranties are among the most profitable businesses out there....its like HillaryCare...everyone pays in, only some use it, therefore making the payout very little. It doesn't matter if you're fixing a car, a TV, or a human being...its all paid out of the same pool of cash flowing into the insurance company.

9. Default

Sears also sells other brand named products and they service them with their repair service. For example they sell Whirlpool, Maytag, Sony and Dewalt, Makita etc. I have bought a Whirpool washer and dryer and a Sears repair man come for service. Not a repair man for Whirlpool.

Back to the car repair example I own a Chevy and I have a extended warranty from GM. I also on another vehicle have a after market warranty. I can go to any GM dealer or any auto repair center that accepts the warranty. Plus I have bought brand name tools from Sears with an extended warranty and they have repair the tools.

So if you can get a extended warranty for your Compucarve and Sears tell you they will repair it, then what's the problem? If Sears repairs the unit then I would imagine it would be done just as correctly as LHR would have.

Rav

I took nirmala's post to say that the customer has to take there unit back to sears and sears will in turn pay for the repairs if LHR is the one that repairs the unit.
    just my take.
    later Daniel
    1.187 Custom Woodworking for more than 40-years

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast