Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Scanning Detail

Talking Scanning Detail

I am debating on purchasing a scanning probe. I was wondering how small a detail the probe will be able to pick up. I have a jewelry pendant that I would like to try and scan. The pendant measures 1.25" wide by 1.50" length by 1/4" deep. I have included a pic of the pendant to see if anyone thinks the probe will pick up the detail of the pendant.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DragonHeart.jpg  

Thumbs up Probe is very accurate

Quote Originally Posted by CustomWestCoast View Post
    I am debating on purchasing a scanning probe. I was wondering how small a detail the probe will be able to pick up. I have a jewelry pendant that I would like to try and scan. The pendant measures 1.25" wide by 1.50" length by 1/4" deep. I have included a pic of the pendant to see if anyone thinks the probe will pick up the detail of the pendant.
    Hi Custom,

The scanning probe has impressed me time and time again with how it picks up fine details. I always use it in "Best" mode which increases the scanning time but it's always worth it. The size of your pendant shouldn't take much time to scan at all. While I can't predict just how long it would take, I've scanned many roughly 4' x 4" (areas) and it's right around 1-1/2 hours. For yours I'd draw a 2" x 2" box around it so it should be about roughly half that time.

You'll need to mount it to a board or sled at least 10" long (just to stay under rollers). I'd probably just use a 10" 1 x 6 for this. Be sure to remove the necklace ring before scanning. (no loose parts).

Hope this helps in your decision making.

Chris
    Last edited by ChrisAlb; 02-16-2008 at 08:23 AM.
    Christopher Neil Albrecht
    Occasional Carvings
    Just A Flowing With The Grain

Ver. 1.187 on XP Pro Desktop
    Ver. 1.187 on Win. 7/64 Laptop

Patterns At The Depot

Talking Small Details

Thanks Chris,

I just wanted to get a concensus before I dive in and buy the scanning probe. I have a few pendants that are relatively the same siz and detail. I didn't want to spend the $299 for the probe and not have it scan the small details.

Default Photo

Instead of scanning it ..
    Why dont you just take it into your Favrate Photo editor and And Then import it into C/W and carve it ??
    Its Not that hard to Do !!!

Just A Thought
    If A Picture is worth 1000 words
    "A MPC is worth a 1,000,000 Questions"
    Dave

Default detail

Ive tried a coin and wasnt impressed with the detail but,some posts of coins were very detailed.Maybe something is wrong with my probe??

Having a probe and the dimensions you show, you would be taking a risk that it would pick up all the fine detail in your pendant.

The probe is nice and does do outstanding work but still has its limitations when you get that small. It will pick it up but it just might not be the detail you were looking for. It might help (like Dave suggested) to take it to someone that could draw it up for you.

Default Better Pic

Take A Beter pic of pendant send it to me ..
    Ill See if i can get ready to carve !!!!

Or Post Pic here and Im Sure somebody will fixer up for a Carve

I Love A Challange

Esp Spelling (lol)
    If A Picture is worth 1000 words
    "A MPC is worth a 1,000,000 Questions"
    Dave

Question Just "draw" it up?

Not trying to step on any toes here but, It would seem you folks haven't spent much time in graphics apps huh? LOL

Having done both scan and draw a LOT, I'd LOVE to see someone (including myself) draw it or fix up a picture of it to get even close to the detail the probe would do in about 45 minutes.

Speaking from experience here, you'd better love a challenge because you'd have one here for sure.
    Christopher Neil Albrecht
    Occasional Carvings
    Just A Flowing With The Grain

Ver. 1.187 on XP Pro Desktop
    Ver. 1.187 on Win. 7/64 Laptop

Patterns At The Depot

Talking Dragon Heart Pendant

I will try and take some marco photos of the pendant. What you can't see in the photo that I posted is that the dragon head and tail are on top of the cross, the cross and wings of the dragon are on top of the heart.
    This is why I thought that scanning probe would be more accurate than a photo.

Default the probe will

do a fair job but carving something that small probably won't look that great. even if you enlarge the pattern your probably not going to see the detail like you think. but someone may prove me wrong.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast