Thread: Can someone tell me how this will carve?

1. Question Can someone tell me how this will carve?

This is my second attempt at working with photographs. The original images of my niece weren't great when it comes to resolution to start but the first one didn't carve too bad so I thought I would give this a shot. I need everything (text and photo) to be carved into the wood because I am planning on staining beforehand and I still have a tough time figuring out how deep it should be and the correct height. Feel free to play around with it or to tell me that it just won't work. That is raster text inverted. I have never tried that before but I imagine it would carve into the wood rather than popping out even though with the software it's hard to judge. Thanks for any help in advance.

*Sorry I realized after posting this should have probably gone in the software forum
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by amanda0101; 02-10-2008 at 05:40 PM.

2. Default

Its hard to say without knowing what settings you are programming it to do. Such as are you using draft, bit optimization, etc. and the size, and type of wood, probably providing those might give someone a better perspective on it.
    www.twinpeaksenterprisesllc.com

"Premium, Kiln Dried, Dimensioned to your request, Black Cherry, Black Walnut, Poplar, woods limited quanities"

Using the rotate tool you can tilt your work piece and see the pupils are quite high. These were probably black in your imported picture which will be the highest points in your carving. I would decrease the depth a little more (.125") and the height (100) to reduce the pupils. If they are still to high after carving, you can grind them down with a dremel tool. Overall, I think it will carve nicely.
    Hope this helps.
    Go ahead, make my Day!

You'd have to do some post carve work on it, but not bad to start. Eyes are like daggers.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails screenshot_03.jpg  
    The 50-50-90 rule: Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

Do it on a Mac.
    Vietnam Vet '65-'66

5. Default Finished product

Thanks, here is how it came out. I don't think it came out too bad considering the pictures were jpegs. It's not finished yet but I can't decide after I smooth it out if I want to stain the photos or leave them natural.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails lili2.JPG   lilli.JPG