Thread: What in the He!? causes this to happen! Bad cutting half way through.

1. Default What in the He!? causes this to happen! Bad cutting half way through.

I was cutting out a poplar sign at a depth of .5". All was going well and then I heard the router double in speed and get much more of a high pitch. I didnt think much of it since it has happened before without any ill results. Well after pulling the piece out I my heart sank when it looked like the bit had raised almost a quarter of an inch and on top of that seemed to totally lose track of what it was doing and giving lines and grooves everywhere. By the way, the bit it securely seated in the collet and there was no slipping.

2. Default

Idiot update: upon second inspection I found that the bit was loose inside of the adapter. I suck. Let that be a lesson to all of you.

That happens to all of us. I have started adding a small drop of loc-tite to the shaft of the bits as well when I install them in the adapters. With that and checking them before each use (try to tighten all screws and the collet nut on the 1/2" adapters) and haven't had one come loose again, knock on wood.
    Happy carving , Jeff Birt

Check out www.soigeneris.com for CarveWright Accesories.

Home of the 'Carving in the Dark' back lit LCD kit!

Default Been there done that.....

Yes I have had that too.....

An old Navy saying.... To Error is Human.... To tell everybody is insane.... But I do it all the time..... Let someone learn from my mistakes.... and Snicker.....

AL

With or without locktite, I've had more loose bits this winter than i ever had before. I've also had an extremely cold winter, & more days not in the shop resulting in more dramatic temperature swings. I've lost a few, so now check them all before a carve.
    The 50-50-90 rule: Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

Do it on a Mac.
    Vietnam Vet '65-'66

6. Default

i am having another issue right now. i cant get the adapter out of the collet. im sure its nothing big. i just squited some 3in1 oil on it and I hope that loosens it up.

Very funny. This post actually make me laugh.
    Thanks for the tip.
    HT

pkunk this has nothing to do with the question. you were in country in 65 66 who with and where? as i to was.air cav. central highlands

that happened to me when i hit a nail inn the wood, it will move the z to a higher or lower '0' zone. tight knots can do it also, if it happends to me I stop the project, find the problem and rerun it at a lower depth.

kinda looks like lighting too