Thread: New Wood

Default New Wood

I just tried some new wood I found at the local Rockler Wood Store.

It's called Alowood, a softwood treated under pressure and color infusion to replicate exotic woods like brazilian cherry, ebony, teak etc.

They only have it in 5-1/2" w x 8' L @ $4.00 per linear foot.

It carves easily and very clean, no fuzzies!

Web site for info: http://prweb.com/releases/2008/1/prweb608761.htm

The attached picture is straight out the CC, just vacuumed clean.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cross.jpg  
    Go ahead, make my Day!

BUT, is it worth $8 a bf when you can buy the real thing for less? Just curious. I read all about it and even the MSDS didn't say much. I have to believe there are chemicals involved that someone without a very good DC system might be exposed to. I'm all for something better and sustainable, but at what cost?
    Last edited by pkunk; 02-03-2008 at 10:15 PM.
    The 50-50-90 rule: Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

Do it on a Mac.
    Vietnam Vet '65-'66

You know, products like these are interesting...but I have to agree with pkunk on the cost/practicality issue.

We had to buy recycled newspaper kitty litter for my recently declawed cat. It was $16 for a bag! With gas and food the price that it is, I don't give a hoot about saving the environment with triple price cat litter.

Buying cherry substitute isn't something I'd do, but how does this product compare to the density of rosewood? If it can't get close to the weight and grain structure for the same cost, I don't see the point.
    To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk.
    Thomas A. Edison

Cool

Very nice and thank you for the suggestion, but I believe in only using the real thing!!! I think if you shop around you can get the real thing at a lower cost!!! I recently got walnut at $3.50 per BF and cherry at $4.00 per bf…
    Top Dog @
    The Dog House Custom Woodworking LLC
    www.doghouseww.com
    The "DH" is now in the Pattern Depot http://www.carvewright.com/store/pat...vendor=derr890