Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bearings

Wink

AL,
    You will see something pretty soon!

Happy Carving,

Ron
    To order the "Made in USA" Rock Chuck, and other custom tools and accessories I make for your CarveWright, see my website by clicking here -> http://www.cw-parts.com
    See a quick video of the new Rock Chuck in action here!
    Read up on QC Removal for stubborn chucks here
    See the Rock install video here
    You can also visit here for discussion content.
    Email me by clicking here

Default LHR Lower Spindle Bearing numbers

LHR Lower Spindle Bearing numbers:

SKU # P008-00020

Product: Bearing, Deep Groove, 6000-2RS

Price: ?
    Mel

Patterns for sale at CW's Pattern Depot
    Check out "Yankee Pop's Shop" at
    http://www.carvewright.com/store/pat...nkeepop&page=1

Quote Originally Posted by rjustice View Post
    Hotpop...
    There is a spacer around both bearings. I also have a lot of experience with rebuilding machines, engines, CNC equipment, etc... I have never seen these types of spacers. They are corragated stampings that are wrapped around the bearings. The only thing i can think of is that they allow for a slightly imperfect alignment and let the bearings find "squareness" to the shaft and the bore they are pressed into. The bearings still are fairly well pressed into the housing even with the use of the spacers. I think it would take a serious hit and still not loosen up the spacer in the bearing bores.

Ron
    Those spacers allow the alum. housing to expand at a different rate then the steel bearing without letting the spindle bearings to become loose and spinning in the housing. I used something very much like that a few years ago to repair an oversize spindle bore.
    ddv

Sounds logical to me.
    Mel

Smile Maybe A Spindle Bearing How-To Also??

Hopefully there will be a how-to when rjustice has the tool ready to do the job.

I tried pressing my bearings out with an arbor press. They were so tight they would not budge. I sent my "Z" truck to LHR. They didn't fix my truck they replaced it with a new one. I could not see spacers in the new truck.
    Mel

Hi,

I know that re-using an old thread is not the best of practices... but starting a new thread for my question would be overkill.

I have decided to see if I can manage to replace the bearings in my Z-truck (actually two trucks) and see if I can follow the instructions on this forum.

But while trying to locate a source for bearings I realized that it is not so easy. I have seen semi-ceramic and ceramic ones for $30-60, but that is probably not the kind used by LHR, according to the expertise here. So if I look at the steel type, I see that the types are 6000 DU for top and 6002 VV for bottom. The VV type means that there is some kind of non-contact rubber seal that allows the bearing to run above 20000 RPM.

Now, the fun with digits and letters begins. I have located sources of 6002 LLB and 6000 LLB that are also sealed, supposedly hi-speed rated to 26000 RPM and greased in a similar way as 6002VV. And I wonder, couldn't I use the LLB kind instead of VV for both upper and lower bearing? Why should anybody insist on DU on top when there is LLB? Or is there some characteristic of DU that I didn't understand?

What did you guys use as replacements? Did you use the exactly same bearings? (I am not talking digits but letters, e.g. 2RS which I would not use, V, VV, LLB, DDU, DU etc etc.) What were the results?

Have a nice day /Z
    Located at a nice spot in Europe...
    Current machines:
    • model A, QC, firmware 1.188, sandpaper belts, "brainless"
    • model A, Carvetight, rubber belts, A907, illuminated display from soigeneris (Jeff Birt)
    • 2 x model C, Carvetight, still in box

Software: Designer 3.106, Designer 1.188, Centerline, Conforming vectors, STL importer, Scanning probe, Blender (to create depth maps )

I have never replaced any inner Truck Bearings.

Interested in seeing what develops in this thread.

Does LHR offer the replacement bearings?

LHR might even reply.

Good Luck,

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Quote Originally Posted by Digitalwoodshop View Post
    I have never replaced any inner Truck Bearings.
    Never ever? Given the number of hours you have been running the machines you should have worn out at least a few bearings.
    Located at a nice spot in Europe...
    Current machines:
    • model A, QC, firmware 1.188, sandpaper belts, "brainless"
    • model A, Carvetight, rubber belts, A907, illuminated display from soigeneris (Jeff Birt)
    • 2 x model C, Carvetight, still in box

Software: Designer 3.106, Designer 1.188, Centerline, Conforming vectors, STL importer, Scanning probe, Blender (to create depth maps )

Quote Originally Posted by mister_zed View Post
    Never ever? Given the number of hours you have been running the machines you should have worn out at least a few bearings.
    That is a GOOD Question.... How many hours on my trucks... I have had Truck Trouble over the years because I was able to send a few to TIM to keep on hand when he wants to test his Porter Cable Style Shafts.... So true... Never wore out a Spindle Bearing. I also spend 90% of my cutting time just cutting plastic.

ANYONE ELSE ever replaced Spindle Bearings... The Internal Bearings?

I think doing work with a 1/2 inch bit may have contributed to the problem.... I do Light weight work....

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast