Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bearings

just bumpin this up, didn't like where it was @ mod's! I got my bearing's figured-out. thanx's Rick

Default Lower spindle Bearing?

In reading this thread, no one ever did say what the lower spindle bearing # is.

I need to know because my lower bearing is shot. I plan to replace both while I'm at it.
    Mel

Patterns for sale at CW's Pattern Depot
    Check out "Yankee Pop's Shop" at
    http://www.carvewright.com/store/pat...nkeepop&page=1

The reason I am assuming is that in the exploded parts view of the CW they do not list one. They only give you a Z truck part number. So its like you have to buy the whole thing or have them rebuild it for you. CW probably has a bearing press for doing that assembly.
    Where is the "Any Key" key located on the keypad
    Growing old is a privilege not everyone gets to enjoy.

Default I thought I needed a new lower spindle bearing.

I was using my CW this morning and I noticed the edges of the of the cut were real bumpy. I saw this before and attributed it to a bad chuck and in fact broke a couple of bits at the same time. Still thinking the chuck was the problem I purchased a new chuck and bits.

I ran a test piece and it seemed OK. I thought the problem was corrected. but I didn't test it long enough.

Cutting into Signfoam this morning the same thing occurred. Bumps along the vertical edges. The piece is ruined.

I thought the new bit was loose ot the chuck had loosened but they were tight. That's when I realized the lower spindle was able to wiggle.

So now I figure my lower bearing has gone bad. I called LHR and requested a new bearing. They told me if I did my own repair I would void my warranty. I didn't care. I don't think my shipping box will survive trip number four to TX and besides bearing replacement is no big deal.

I decided to remove the "Z" truck to check out the lower bearing.

After removing the Z truck I found the whole lower bearing was wobbling in the housing. I called LHR again and was told there is a spacer ring of some sort between the bearing and the housing. Upon closer inspection I could see the ring they told me about. I can't describe it exactly because I haven't taken it apart yet. What I can see is the edge of a metal band that appears to have bumps on it. Apparently the bumps are suppose to center the bearing. I guess the bumps have collapsed because the bearing wiggles about 1/32" which translates to about 1/16" at the tip of the carving tool. Half of my projects have been in oak which might account for the collapsing bumps. The upper bearing also has a spacer ring but it seems OK.

Having been a machine designer and builder for almost 40 years. It seems to me that there has been a design error in specifying the correct size bearing bore, so they came up with quick fix. Bearings of this size should only have about .0005" clearance.

I can't imagine why they would engineer in spacer rings when they know there is going to be a constant side load when cutting.

I also found a loose "Z Sensor" pc board inside the truck that wasn't attached to anything. Guess I'll throw it away.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_1619.jpg  
    Mel

Patterns for sale at CW's Pattern Depot
    Check out "Yankee Pop's Shop" at
    http://www.carvewright.com/store/pat...nkeepop&page=1

Post Spindle or "Z" Truck Bearings

Hi Guys,
    Be warned that changing out the bearings is not for the "faint at heart" I am working on another tool that will fit the "Z" truck perfectly to press out the spindle shaft through the bearings... After rebuilding a spindle, I understand why LHR doesnt recommend the end user replacement of bearings.

There are a few points to ponder.

1) The spindle shaft is soft.
    2) If you beat on the end towards the "Top hat" it will swell or "mushroom" and make it much harder to press out.
    3) The bearings have A LOT of press on them (perhaps too much)
    4) The "Z" truck is fairly strong but can be broken. There are pictures in another thread where the "Y" axis roller cam was tightened too tight and broke the corner off of the "Z" truck.
    4) If you dont support the casting evenly when you are pressing out the bearings, it is not only possible, but probable that you will bend or break it.

With that said, I am very confident that given the right tools most people in the forum COULD change their own bearings. I hope to enable everyone that wishes to do so by creating the these tools.

The bearings are both rubber sealed:

Top - NSK 6000 DU
    Bottom - NSK 6002 V

I hope this helps.... Stay Tuned for more to come....
    To order the "Made in USA" Rock Chuck, and other custom tools and accessories I make for your CarveWright, see my website by clicking here -> http://www.cw-parts.com
    See a quick video of the new Rock Chuck in action here!
    Read up on QC Removal for stubborn chucks here
    See the Rock install video here
    You can also visit here for discussion content.
    Email me by clicking here

Default Spindle Bearing Spacers

Hotpop...
    There is a spacer around both bearings. I also have a lot of experience with rebuilding machines, engines, CNC equipment, etc... I have never seen these types of spacers. They are corragated stampings that are wrapped around the bearings. The only thing i can think of is that they allow for a slightly imperfect alignment and let the bearings find "squareness" to the shaft and the bore they are pressed into. The bearings still are fairly well pressed into the housing even with the use of the spacers. I think it would take a serious hit and still not loosen up the spacer in the bearing bores.

Ron
    To order the "Made in USA" Rock Chuck, and other custom tools and accessories I make for your CarveWright, see my website by clicking here -> http://www.cw-parts.com

Default Bearing Spacer

hotpop
    Do these look familiar,
    I've had the spacers drop out twice about three or four months apart. Sorry Ron I really didn't hit them, just my luck I guess

By the way I use corner supports when shipping my machine, they do help -- a little
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC05647ab.JPG   DSC05642ab.JPG   DSC06092a.JPG   Missing bearing spacer.JPG  

Last edited by Kenm810; 02-21-2008 at 08:46 PM.
    Ken

Ver 1.182 on XL Pro plus Ver 1.164 and 1.175 on Windows 7 Ultimate
    It Never Fails * Till * You Say It Never Fails

This is interesting info to know, are we talking design error on this bearing spacer?
    Kind of sounds like the z-truck may have the wrong size openings for the bearings, or is this a NASA design change?
    On one hand it seems to make sence as a shock absorber,

RJUSTICE Do you know the thread size of the SEARS QC for the NEWER routers. I know it won't fit the CC or CW spindle , but I'm thinking of making my own spindle for the chuck.
    later Daniel
    Last edited by Dan-Woodman; 02-21-2008 at 08:27 PM.
    1.187 Custom Woodworking for more than 40-years

Ken810.... Sorry to say this but yes, those are the bearing spacers... As hard as my bearings pressed out I would not have believed that they would fall out like that.
    Hmmmm... looks like yet another opportunity for improvement. I am going to look into this further... maybe a solid spacer is in order. I really wonder if this was a MFG problem, and they couldnt get the bearings that were required for that size bore, and it was a way to salvage thousands of castings???

Daniel, I dont know what the thread size is on the newer style QC, but i dont see any improvement on it that is worth going after either.

I have lathe time this weekend to get some Chucks made. I have tested a prototype and am ready to release the first style. This style will NOT require replacement of the spindle.

Ron

Default Bought a Spindle....

I bought a spindle and just put it on. My spindle was never sent back from LHR when I wanted to get it rebuilt and found the price the same as a new spindle. I still have some open issues to work out with LHR when I get a chance.

I think for now the best bet is buying a replacement spindle and when RJustice gets his tools ready then do our own.

I see the day when someone makes a replacement spindle built like a Brick Poop House without a QC.....

AL
    Last edited by Digitalwoodshop; 02-21-2008 at 08:47 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast