Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Bearings

Quote Originally Posted by Digitalwoodshop View Post
    I think doing work with a 1/2 inch bit may have contributed to the problem.... I do Light weight work....

AL
    That is my conclusion, too... The truck was not old, possibly 150 hours, maybe less. Not sure.

I wonder why LHR allows for 1/2" bits in the designer (yes, I know they actually do _NOT_ sell such bits) if they can break the machine. Now that I have taken out both bearings I can see that the 6002 at the bottom was in worse shape than the 6000 at the top.

Well, lesson learned: use no larger bits than 1/4" to do bottom cleaning on paulownia, watch out for bits becoming blunt and do not take more than 1-16" at a time... Or maybe stop carving Paulownia... but now that I know how to find may way around the Z-truck I might be tempted to continue with Paulownia and see how well my carving tools survive. Paulownia is so lightweight and so easy to process: no knots, little chipping.
    Located at a nice spot in Europe...
    Current machines:
    • model A, QC, firmware 1.188, sandpaper belts, "brainless"
    • model A, Carvetight, rubber belts, A907, illuminated display from soigeneris (Jeff Birt)
    • 2 x model C, Carvetight, still in box

Software: Designer 3.106, Designer 1.188, Centerline, Conforming vectors, STL importer, Scanning probe, Blender (to create depth maps )

Quote Originally Posted by mister_zed View Post
    That is my conclusion, too... The truck was not old, possibly 150 hours, maybe less. Not sure.

I wonder why LHR allows for 1/2" bits in the designer (yes, I know they actually do _NOT_ sell such bits) if they can break the machine. Now that I have taken out both bearings I can see that the 6002 at the bottom was in worse shape than the 6000 at the top.

Well, lesson learned: use no larger bits than 1/4" to do bottom cleaning on paulownia, watch out for bits becoming blunt and do not take more than 1-16" at a time... Or maybe stop carving Paulownia... but now that I know how to find may way around the Z-truck I might be tempted to continue with Paulownia and see how well my carving tools survive. Paulownia is so lightweight and so easy to process: no knots, little chipping.
    I feel the 1/2" bit would work with small projects in softer woods. I would not stop working with a species of lumber because it dulls tooling faster than others. I carve on Aniegre, which is very hard on tooling, but carves great fine detail.

Quote Originally Posted by Mugsowner View Post
    I feel the 1/2" bit would work with small projects in softer woods. I would not stop working with a species of lumber because it dulls tooling faster than others. I carve on Aniegre, which is very hard on tooling, but carves great fine detail.
    Yes, one of the reasons why I tried Paulownia is that it is lighter than pine, gives better details than pine. Maybe comparable to oak as far as details go, but at the fraction of weight and maybe 1/3 of the price. And laminated oak has usually smaller laminate bits than Paulownia.

Btw, how long do your tools last with Aniegre?

What happened to my bearings (probably because of dull 1/2" bits) was maybe after 10 hrs of doing bottom cleaning with 1/2" on a series of projects. Of course, the total carving time was way more than that, but with smaller bits like 1/16 and 1/8.
    Located at a nice spot in Europe...
    Current machines:
    • model A, QC, firmware 1.188, sandpaper belts, "brainless"
    • model A, Carvetight, rubber belts, A907, illuminated display from soigeneris (Jeff Birt)
    • 2 x model C, Carvetight, still in box

Software: Designer 3.106, Designer 1.188, Centerline, Conforming vectors, STL importer, Scanning probe, Blender (to create depth maps )

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234