Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coloring before carving

Default Coloring before carving

Have been planing to try this for quite awhile but had to wait until the holidays were behind me. Both of the following projects are plain ole Lowes pine. I used purple leather dye on the smaller project and red chestnut stain the the other before carving. I also used a couple light coats of spray lacquer on them lightly sanding to seal the wood somewhat after coloring but before carving. Both of them will have something done to the edges...so they aren't just retangular pretty boards and then onto adding another color or leaving light...not sure yet how I will proceed. This was to see how it went. I was really surprised that I didn't have any issues with the machine seeing the dark purple board for measuring. I do have a ceiling light right above my machine so maybe that helps. I do like the stark contrast of light and dark. Love the centerline text. Used the 60 degree bit on the smaller piece and the 90 degree bit on the larger one. Can you tell...this kinda excites me...new possiblities for very bright colors....without hand painting...lol
    Lin
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Simplify roughsm.jpg   Prayer Changes Things roughsm.jpg  

Very nice I like that Lin
    "Our principles are the springs of our actions. Our actions, the springs of our happiness or misery. Too much care, therefore, cannot be taken in forming our principles." Red Skelton

I have 1.132 and previous versions back to 1.19 on standby

Please support Cystic Fibrosis

Very nice, Lin! I did something similar some time back with a ratty piece of walnut. I painted it white & then carved it. The white paint covered the ratty wood and the contrast was striking.
    The 50-50-90 rule: Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

Do it on a Mac.
    Vietnam Vet '65-'66

pkunk I would really love to see that. I really never knew there was a ratty piece of walnut. But I would love to see it
    "Our principles are the springs of our actions. Our actions, the springs of our happiness or misery. Too much care, therefore, cannot be taken in forming our principles." Red Skelton

Quote Originally Posted by Bubbabear View Post
    pkunk I would really love to see that. I really never knew there was a ratty piece of walnut. But I would love to see it
    I don't have it to take a pic. It was a walnut off cut that had some open knots (knots with pieces missing), coarse grain, & just in general ratty wood worth not doing much with. Filler & paint covered all that and the centerline text revealed nothing.
    The 50-50-90 rule: Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

Do it on a Mac.
    Vietnam Vet '65-'66

Shucks pkunk guess I will have to dig out some of my walnut stash and test it

Really nice Lin.The colors are great

8. Smile Very Nice

I love to see people experiment.

What is the font on the larger one?

I've decided how I'm going to finish at least the larger one....I tilted my scrollsaw 20 degrees and freehand cut around the project. A bit of sanding now and then I will use danish oil on it to seal and darken the carving and the outer cut a bit and then a laquer finish.
    The fonts used on these two were "Simplify" in centerline using the 60 degree bit with (Tiranti Solid LET) font and "Prayer Changes Things" in centerline using the 90 degree bit with (Black Chancery) font.
    Here's a couple pics...one of the drastic tilt on my saw that I used and one of the project after the cut....I think this will end up looking great with the dark light combo and the slant on the outer cut being left the light color also. This is one way of combining the two tools...CW and Scrollsaw.
    Lin
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hawk tilt 20degreessm.jpg   Prayer Changes Things cutoutsm.jpg  

Lin ,what a great job keep up the great work.
    Don
    WWW.TOUCHINGHEARTSAGAIN.COM

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast