Thread: Pinewood derby car

1. Default Pinewood derby car

Here are two completely different designs to the age old cub car.

I saw the Wii controller car that someone had posted a while back. One of my boys got very excited about it and so we did one.

I also wanted to do something more challenging. The block of wood that you get from a scout store is just barely inside the minimum for the CW. I found that it was mildly unstable cutting just vectors for the Wii. For my older boy's car, we glued two blocks together and then cut out in the middle.

I had a lot of fun doing this one. I did the contours completely from geometric shapes I did in Xara with greyscale shaders applied. Imported into pattern editor to smooth some and then into the car.

I found that I didn't save my final MPC file, so the one posted has some things a little off center - a product of initially unevenly trimming my shapes in editor.

Hard to visualize in photo, but the contours of the MPC is exactly how it carved, barring a few tool nicks. Getting more of those than I used to... Something is loose somewhere. Already re did the QC chuck with locktite.

Final results in the next post
    Bruce
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bottom_side.jpg   top_side.jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by mobident; 02-03-2008 at 12:32 AM. Reason: post images

2. Default Final results

Here are the final results. I'm no photographer, so I am having trouble finding the right shot to overcome the metallic paint reflections.

The Wii car was cut out of a single cubcar kit. It didn't hold smooth very well and slipped past the start end of the board as well. As mentioned above, although just barely on the minimum size, there is a little too much movement. My son loved it, however, and didn't want to do another run. It is painted with appliance acrylic.

The blue car won the competition.
    Bruce
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails finish1.jpg   finish2.jpg   Ethans_car_mpc_image.jpg   Ethans_car_bottom_mpc_image.jpg  

Wii_car.jpg  
    Last edited by mobident; 02-02-2008 at 05:19 PM. Reason: too stupid to do things right the first time.

Thumbs up

Well done, I’m sure there was a lot of envious fathers and scouts at the derby!!!
    Top Dog @
    The Dog House Custom Woodworking LLC
    www.doghouseww.com
    The "DH" is now in the Pattern Depot http://www.carvewright.com/store/pat...vendor=derr890

Default Pinewood Derby for Grandson

Mobi, nicely done!! I owe you thanks for the idea. I just finished a pinewood car for my grandson, he painted it and installed wheels and axles. He won!! The drilled holes are for titanium weights to come as close to the legal 5 oz. limit in the Boy Scout system regulations. As a "lurker" who has contributed nothing and learned volumes, I think it time I upload a project as a small thanks to all you contributors.

Attachment 42789 Attachment 42790
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by rockflier; 03-06-2011 at 12:53 PM.
    The problem with communications is the illusion they have occurred.