Thread: Pinewood derby car

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. Default Pinewood derby car

Here are two completely different designs to the age old cub car.

I saw the Wii controller car that someone had posted a while back. One of my boys got very excited about it and so we did one.

I also wanted to do something more challenging. The block of wood that you get from a scout store is just barely inside the minimum for the CW. I found that it was mildly unstable cutting just vectors for the Wii. For my older boy's car, we glued two blocks together and then cut out in the middle.

I had a lot of fun doing this one. I did the contours completely from geometric shapes I did in Xara with greyscale shaders applied. Imported into pattern editor to smooth some and then into the car.

I found that I didn't save my final MPC file, so the one posted has some things a little off center - a product of initially unevenly trimming my shapes in editor.

Hard to visualize in photo, but the contours of the MPC is exactly how it carved, barring a few tool nicks. Getting more of those than I used to... Something is loose somewhere. Already re did the QC chuck with locktite.

Final results in the next post
    Bruce
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bottom_side.jpg   top_side.jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by mobident; 02-03-2008 at 12:32 AM. Reason: post images