Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Down Draft System

Or would I be better off doing a seperate grd rod just for this purpose?
    No, that is my point. You do not want a separate ground rod (by separate I mean not electrically connected to your electrical systems ground rod). Many times there will be more than one ground rod or source or ground, like a ground rod by the meter base, water pipes, etc, but all these should be connected together.

If your ground rod is the ground for your electrical system than your fine.
    Happy carving , Jeff Birt

Check out www.soigeneris.com for CarveWright Accesories.

Home of the 'Carving in the Dark' back lit LCD kit!

Jeff,
    You are Jeff on the spot this morning!! I was sure I needed to be on a good elec. grnd just had to ask for better clarification. Thanks...

Since you are here on question on the LCD display. when I go into a carving function, like calb offset that I did to check my DD, It goes blank. I try adjusting the contrast and all I get is Blank to all squares. Is this an issue?
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

mchristle Guest

Default I'm confused

I have been looking into adding dust collection recently. I have noticed that everyone seems to use a system that vents down through the hole in the bottom of the CM machine. This does not make sense to me. All the dust collects on the top of the board, where it is being carved. I looked all over inside my CW and I just don't see how the dust gets around the board to the port in the bottom. What am I missing???

4. Red face Depends on size of the board

Quote Originally Posted by mchristle View Post
    I have been looking into adding dust collection recently. I have noticed that everyone seems to use a system that vents down through the hole in the bottom of the CM machine. This does not make sense to me. All the dust collects on the top of the board, where it is being carved. I looked all over inside my CW and I just don't see how the dust gets around the board to the port in the bottom. What am I missing???
    Wide boards collect more because they cover so much of the opening. Narrow boards allow more access, so they result in more collection.

I use a 14" sled most of the time, so downdraft does little for me. Top-end collection should help.

Look at this post (post #16) by DigitalWorkshop.

Default i have thought of

Quote Originally Posted by mchristle View Post
    doing a collector that attaches to the lip in front of the cutter head that is maybe 1/4" above the board and has a 1/8" slot the length of the machine. just waiting on warranty to run out so i can dill some holes.

Essentially, the wider the board the worse the dust collection will be from a downdraft system. With my DC at 1800 CFM i'm still left with dust on top of a maximum width carving, but a small blast of low pressure air periodically keeps it clean enough. A shop Vac is not the best way to clean while carving (search static), but a little help from an air compressor works. Absolute cleanliness while carving is not necessary. I've run 6-10 hour carves many times with the machine moved to an empty garage so I could think in the shop, without benefit of even the downdraft DC, with no ill results. When I can afford to not be in the shop, running the DC for the CW is the best way to go, but not mandatory.
    The 50-50-90 rule: Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

Do it on a Mac.
    Vietnam Vet '65-'66

Default Mini Dust Collector

I saw this in the Dec/Jan issue of Wood Magazine. A mini dust collector.
    This may be the answer for the hobby users of the Carve Wright with tight space. Looks like it be swapped around on multiple machines. Just thought I'd share the info. If the link doesn't work directly from here, go to the main web site www.steelcitytoolworks.com

then search for dust collectors.

http://www.steelcitytoolworks.com/pr...y=5&tool=65115
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dust Collector.jpg  
    Go ahead, make my Day!

Default Mini Dust Collector

I am not sure about the 4" port reducing down to the exhaust port. We tried to connect a DC system to the 2" piping in the sign shop at work and it decreased the volume so much it wasn't worth it, a wet/dry vac worked better. This system was not hooked up to a carvewright just some bench tools and and a couple of engraving machines.
    Firefighters trained to save your butt not kiss it!

I think it would be intended as a dust and chip collecting attachment to the modified front
    of the CW or CC machine, similar to the way Al from Digitalwoodshop has modified his machine.
    To maximize the use of its full 4" intake, and not limiting it to the small exhaust port on the back of the machine.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC03402_WEB.jpg   DSC03410_WEB.jpg   Dust Collector1a.jpg  
    Last edited by Kenm810; 02-22-2008 at 10:53 PM.
    Ken

Ver 1.182 on XL Pro plus Ver 1.164 and 1.175 on Windows 7 Ultimate
    It Never Fails * Till * You Say It Never Fails

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234