Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gun Stock?

Default Gun Stock?

Has anyone ever played with making a carve out of flat stock for a gun stock or attemped to carve an all ready done stock?

We need a DFX 3d model of a gun stock to try, it but it shoud work..
    LG
    Last edited by liquidguitars; 12-22-2007 at 06:24 PM.

Does anyone make those?

The oem's must have them but not for download i sure..

LG

Ok, well I've been looking to see if anyone has carved a rifle stock with a CW. So far all I've found were old posts and I know that with the newer software that SOMEONE has had the chance to carve up a gun stock. I would like to give it a try to an old stock I've got just lay'n around. I have a scanning sled and probe, I also have designer with pattern editor, and centerline text with the extra program to carve within a region (forget what they call it). Can any one give me some suggestions on how to do this. I'm able to get down to my workshop now after being ran over by a car at work, but still off on medical and I now need to get my head back in gear.......I've got cabin fever really bad.......can you help me on this?

CarverJerry
    CarverJerry

ver. 1.188 Win 7- 64b with 6 GB ram @ 2.8Ghz and dual 1Tb hard drives. Rock Chuck & Ringneck vacuum system hooked up to a Harbor Freight large vacuum. Center line text, conforming vectors.

Quote Originally Posted by CarverJerry View Post
    after being ran over by a car at work
    How did you get run over by a car at WORK ??? I sure hope you are getting well paid after that !! My buddy got hit and is getting squat. Now back to the project at hand. I will be watching this one. It would be awesome it we could mofify a stock to fit our personal build and flavor. Looking forward to the development of this one.
    Experience is a doorway -- Not a final goal.

To make a long story short, the co-worker was busy checking his phone (phones not allowed in work) while heading out to McDonalds at lunch time and didn't see my old ***.
    I would like to be able to carve like deer heads, crossed cannons, all sorts of ideas come to mind but I really thought that someone here on the forum would have done this already with the CW. I can see where I would have to use my scanning sled as a jig but want to hear from someone who has already a few.

CJ
    CarverJerry

ver. 1.188 Win 7- 64b with 6 GB ram @ 2.8Ghz and dual 1Tb hard drives. Rock Chuck & Ringneck vacuum system hooked up to a Harbor Freight large vacuum. Center line text, conforming vectors.

8. Default

OK ... build a jig for your existing stock (make sure that it is secured tightly and won't move) - scan it - import the scan into your software .... it is important to leave the jig and stock in place ... turn the scan into a stock pattern - place your desired pattern (cannon, deer, horse, cowboy, whatever) on the stock pattern - export to your card and carve. It has been a while since I have done it but I know it works.

Any updates on this one?

10. Default

Sorry it took so long to respond, we have been camping. I got an email from one of our friends on here saying I should take a look at this thread. So, yes it can be done, pretty easily. You do not need to even use the scanning probe if you do not have one. put the stock on your work area with the desired carving surface face down, so that the piece sits at its flattest and/or most stable point. Build your sled around it, making sure it is supported very well. Figur out where you want the design, measure very accurately. Design project with board dimensions of your sled, and place design in desired place. Remember to measure the curve of the stock and apply that to the design. Load sled and carve. Any questions?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails deerstock.png   duckstock.png   ingodwetrust.png   usn1911.png  

www.cncartguild.com patterns, projects, webinars, instant chat, and more.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast