Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cant set the chuck

Default Cant set the chuck

After finally getting the rollers to compress now I am having problems with the chuck.

It seems to not want to "****" after removing one bit in order to replace it with another. Nor does it fully relaease the bit very easily.

I have tried to "milk" it, use 3 in 1 oil, tap on it with a screw driver, clean out the chuck width a scribe and mirror, and used compressed air a combination of all of these seem to work but it happens on every bit change and it is taking me about 30 minutes to change one bit (this includes even the bit changes when the cc is cycling thru all the bits one might need for a single project, therefore I dont think that espansion from heat build up is a factor).

I just ordered the probe and would like to get this issue fixed or the chuck replaced, so that I can use it.

If the chuck needs to be replaced is it a REAL involved process?

Thanks

Louie

Hello Louie,

Is your workshop cold? If so, try heating the chuck a teeny tad with a hair dryer and see if that will get it working again!
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Default QC change

Very easy to change. Take bout five minutes, You might tell them to send you the right allen wrench, I tried every size that was close, don't know if it was due to last change at the shop, and maybe the hole was out of shape or what. So tell them to send ya a wrench. I finally use a pair of chanelocks. Put locktite (blue) on the threads and haven't had any more problems yet. They send you the instructions also.

Thumbs up Caution Removing The Quick Chuck !!

Use great caution with trying to use home made gadgets to get the chuck off. there have been several posts here where people have ruined the inside of the "Z" spindle by trying to get the QC off...

If you are interested i have a tool set, along with detailed instructions that will make it much easier. The tools are $26 plus $11 priority USPS shipping and handling. You can add any of my other tools, or accesssores to your order for no additional shipping charges...

Happy Carving,

Ron
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Quick Chuck 1009.jpg  
    To order the "Made in USA" Rock Chuck, and other custom tools and accessories I make for your CarveWright, see my website by clicking here -> http://www.cw-parts.com
    See a quick video of the new Rock Chuck in action here!
    Read up on QC Removal for stubborn chucks here
    See the Rock install video here
    You can also visit here for discussion content.
    Email me by clicking here

Ron,

I plan on calling lhr in the morning about replacing the chuck. I may need a set of those tools to change it if we cant fix it over the phone.

Thanks

Louie

I had a problem with the chuck sticking. I found that if you use the tool to lift the release and use a pair if pliers to GENTLY rotate the bit assy counter clockwise the bit easily comes out. From there I started spaying some lube into the chuck and unto the bit after each use. No problems since... Not leaving the bits in the chuck for long periods when not in use was a good idea too...

7. Default

I have had to replace my chuck twice now. I'm checking this last one about every 20 minutes. The one before didn't work straight out of the shipping wrapper. Get the tools from Rjustice, it will save a lot of problems if you strip out the spindle trying to use something that doesn't fit quite right.

Terry

Just received the tools from Ron today. I have an adapter stuck in the QCC that refuses to come out. Stuck on packed sawdust I think.

Ken
    Ken Rugaber
    South Milwaukee, WI (winter)
    Munising, MI (summer)
    Using designer 1.164
    My Website
    http://www.ruggybear.com/

Need to catalog your MPC and PTN files? I recommend FilePick
    http://www.rsbriggs.com/fp/index.html

Got the QRC removed and the stuck adapter qas well. It appears that the adapter was stuck on one of the ball bearings that keep the adapter in place. Also the QRC has some damage on two of the four possible places for the adapter screwsto fit. Will be calling LHR later this morning to get a new QRC on the way.

Using Ron's tools to remove the QRC made an otherwise almost ipossible job very easy. Well worth the cost.

Ken
    Ken Rugaber
    South Milwaukee, WI (winter)
    Munising, MI (summer)
    Using designer 1.164
    My Website
    http://www.ruggybear.com/

Need to catalog your MPC and PTN files? I recommend FilePick
    http://www.rsbriggs.com/fp/index.html

Default 3 in 1 oil and ron's tools

I ordered and recieved Ron's removal tools for the QC - worked great.

But - If you used 3 in 1 oil make sure you get it off. It becomes gummy and collects sawdust. and sawdust kills Carvewrights.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast