Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: tutorials

Quote Originally Posted by dltccf View Post
    I haven't subscribed to the project of the month yet, but it is on my Christmas list. But in the mean time, I have been clicking on the "try" for past POMs and treating them as tutorials. I go through the PDFs and find a wealth of hints from how Michael describes how he goes about making and finishing his projects. Thanks, Michael. Well done.

In several he mentions he uses the radial bristle discs with his dremel. I went to the mcmaster site and was about to order some but was wondering how long they last so I could determine how many I should order. Does anyone know how much usage you get out of those discs?

thanks,
    dave
    Hi Dave,

Thank you. That is a great resource for you, and am very pleased the tutorials have been helpful. I always tell folks "You'll learn a ton about your machine and Designer layout techniques by doing the POM's!" Many users have called or emailed letting me know how much that has helped reduce their learning curve and also open their mind to the possibilities these wonderful machines offer the woodworker.

As Jerry mentioned, Otto Frei is another source for the 3M Discs (I think they might be a little lower priced than McMaster, too). The Red ones are 220-grit. I also order the Yellow ones (80-grit). Makes initial cleanup a little faster, then you can follow-up with the 220-grit if necessary. I've developed a "light touch" with the 80-grit, so I don't use the 220-grit as often as I used to.

Thanks again for the kind words. The POM Subscription will make a nice Christmas gift for you!
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Default Tutorial

WOW, 2 new lesson in less than 20 hours!
    My newest lesson, titled "Cut Path v/s Pierced Option" is now listed in my "Download" link below.
    I think it may save some 1/8" cutting bits, and lessen the amount of fire wood some produce!
    AskBud
    AskBud Downloads =>> CLICK HERE
    Lesson added
    7/15/2012 Titles begin with "2D-3D Build a Pattern-Part-3"

CW Vacuum Head Project =>> CLICK HERE
    AskBud Home Page =>> CLICK HERE <<=PC lessons or CW lessons

More than 1250 AskBud patterns
    vvv-CLICK BELOW-vvv
    http://store.carvewright.com/manufac...ufacturerid=29

I just looked at Otto Frei. Would you recommend getting the kit http://www.ottofrei.com/store/produc...at=1361&page=1 or just ordering the 80 and 220 because we probably won't need the other 4 grits? how many do you typically order at a time and how long do they last?

dave

Quote Originally Posted by mtylerfl View Post
    Hi Dave,

Thank you. That is a great resource for you, and am very pleased the tutorials have been helpful. I always tell folks "You'll learn a ton about your machine and Designer layout techniques by doing the POM's!" Many users have called or emailed letting me know how much that has helped reduce their learning curve and also open their mind to the possibilities these wonderful machines offer the woodworker.

As Jerry mentioned, Otto Frei is another source for the 3M Discs (I think they might be a little lower priced than McMaster, too). The Red ones are 220-grit. I also order the Yellow ones (80-grit). Makes initial cleanup a little faster, then you can follow-up with the 220-grit if necessary. I've developed a "light touch" with the 80-grit, so I don't use the 220-grit as often as I used to.

Thanks again for the kind words. The POM Subscription will make a nice Christmas gift for you!

Here's links to some other great (free) tutorials...

How to Use Pattern Outline and Cut Path
    PDF Based Tutorial by Bob Hill
    http://www.allcw.com/files/Download/...t-Tutorial.pdf

An Apple Box Project and Tutorial
    PDF Based Tutorial by Jeff Birt
    http://www.allcw.com/files/Patterns/apple_box.zip

Setting Up CorelDraw (video)
    by Jon Jantz
    http://www.allcw.com/files/Download/Corel-settings.avi

How to Import/Export Patterns (video)
    by Jon Jantz
    http://www.allcw.com/files/Download/import-export.avi
    I downloaded this and witch vidio setting do you have when bud download they all open up can't open for vidio only audio
    Henry

Every one has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.

Quote Originally Posted by dltccf View Post
    I just looked at Otto Frei. Would you recommend getting the kit http://www.ottofrei.com/store/produc...at=1361&page=1 or just ordering the 80 and 220 because we probably won't need the other 4 grits? how many do you typically order at a time and how long do they last?

dave
    Hi Dave,

The kit has a lot of items you won't use (400-grit and the pumice...no good for wood). I usually order a couple dozen of the 80 and 220 at a time. (Ordering mainly only 80-grit now, since I hardly use the 220-grit and have plenty on hand already). I average maybe 3 to 5 projects from a stack of three discs on the mandrel. Be sure to order a couple mandrels...I have a mandrel setup with the 80-grit and another with the 220-grit, always ready to go.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

Quote Originally Posted by henry1 View Post
    I downloaded this and witch vidio setting do you have when bud download they all open up can't open for vidio only audio

Hi Henry,

If your Windows Media Player is up-to-date, it should play all the videos alright. Check and see if your Media Player needs an update.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

Default Tutorials - Unwanted Mountains

I have just added a lesson titled "Without Pattern Editor-Part-1-Mountains" to my "Download" link below.

It is produced to assist those that do not have Pattern Editor (PE), or can not apply PE to the pattern involved. The aim of the lesson is to help you remove unwanted mountains from within a given pattern. Michael Tyler suggested that I make the video, as It would be a good concept for all to see.
    AskBud
    Lesson added

vvv-CLICK BELOW-vvv

Thanks, that will be perfect. I had gotten myself a sanding mop from Kilngspore and it was working great, but I kept thinking, "wouldn't it be great to have a small version of this to get in the little places" then I saw your Dremel with that on in the POM and knew it was just what I was looking for.

Hi Dave,

The kit has a lot of items you won't use (400-grit and the pumice...no good for wood). I usually order a couple dozen of the 80 and 220 at a time. (Ordering mainly only 80-grit now, since I hardly use the 220-grit and have plenty on hand already). I average maybe 3 to 5 projects from a stack of three discs on the mandrel. Be sure to order a couple mandrels...I have a mandrel setup with the 80-grit and another with the 220-grit, always ready to go.

Default Pierced Carving-How I made it

I have produced a new 575 MB lesson titled "Pierced carving-How I made it". It's in my "Download" link, below.

I show the design process and how I added a pocket hanger to the product to hold various sheets of colored paper which may be changed as the church seasons change.
    AskBud
    Lesson added

vvv-CLICK BELOW-vvv

Thanks Bud, I will have to download the file and watch it.
    Using Designer 1.187, STL importer, Center line, conforming vectors, scanning probe/PE, and the ROCK chuck.

Eddie

Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast