Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Carvewright may be missing out

Default wwoo hooo

a 150 hour carve.... just funnin ya couldn't resist.

LMAO... Could lay out a weeks worth of carvings on one project and let 'er throw chips.

Default Shipping it back.....

You would need to take out a second mortgage to ship it back for repair.... 150 hour carve in DRAFT mode....

AL

Quote Originally Posted by Digitalwoodshop View Post
    You would need to take out a second mortgage to ship it back for repair.... 150 hour carve in DRAFT mode....

AL
    150 hour carves would certainly change the economics of it... The warranty would expire partway through the second project!

Michael,

i think you're kind of thinking in the same vein as me... But I was only talking about the machines use in the professional world for just prototyping and such... not a fullscale commercial production... working about details in a one-off manner.
    If you could simply import vector files to designer you could accuratly cut out parts for a prototype drawn in a seperate program that a user was more comfortable and versed in...

Default on page ten

of the frequently asked questions (download section of the website) carvewright states that advanced software will be able to import and export
    G code. i sure hope the guys at carvewright are not resting on the behinds about this as well as with a more advanced machine. my reason for this
    is that many other companies have taken notice of the configuration of this machine and to them this ain't brain surgery!! shop bot has created the buddy
    prs bt 32 and while its a little more money (ok a whole lot more to some the price is relative to the life expectancy and software compatability with the rest of the world. sears ain't the marketing powerhouse it used to be and id rather see this machine survive than to have done all this research and development just to let some one else profit watch for grizzley's entrance in this market. cabnet

The Buddy looks like it would be good for Guitar making..
    What is the best software Bot people use for 3d carving?

LG

I'm disappointed in some of the negativity in this thread toward the original poster. Those are some valid points, and nothing insulting in that post. It's true, this machine could be far more popular and flexible if it supported more 3D importing.

Yes, there are several posts in this very thread defending it, saying "it's to keep things simple, it's to keep people involved and interested rather than alienate them with complex, difficult software." Valid point. However, there is also a whole world of students and professionals coming from a different angle - people interested in this machine who already know how to use other CAD or 3D software.

The people I talk to about my machine IMMEDIATELY ask what type of files are supported and if it can import 3D. "No," I reply, and their heart sinks a little, knowing that they still have a while to wait until a solution comes along. I have hopes that the 'Advanced' software will bring even more flexibility to this already cool system.

On a side note, I have massive amounts of respect for the Liquid Guitars work I've seen, but that retaliating salvo from LG was embarrassing and demoralizing, as I'm new to this as well, and have found myself disappointed with the limitations of the existing software. His work is way above that, he's a shining example for this company to the point where they did a feature on him. A more positive spin might have been to say "Hey, new guy, don't count the 'Designer' software out, look what I've been able to figure out - a lot is possible."

On a side note, I have massive amounts of respect for the Liquid Guitars work I've seen, but that retaliating salvo from LG was embarrassing and demoralizing, as I'm new to this as well, and have found myself disappointed with the limitations of the existing software. His work is way above that, he's a shining example for this company to the point where they did a feature on him. A more positive spin might have been to say "Hey, new guy, don't count the 'Designer' software out, look what I've been able to figure out - a lot is possible."
    Billions, I can delete the post if you like but the grade stands

Importing 3D models from one program to the next is always hard as it takes at times more than one program to translate. Savannah has a good 3D lab so why the fuss?

LG

No need for that! Just hoping to not get a "new one" torn in my backside if we disagree or if I have a question! I'm joking, I know that's not your usual style, I've read many of your posts.

LG, you really have defined what is possible with your work on the machine - some of the most envelope-pushing feats on the site. In fact, I was really on the fence about the machine being something I wanted until I saw your guitar bodies, etc., as I'm not really interested in sign-making (no disrespect to the sign-makers here). It showed me that the machine can be used for more technical projects than the normally organic designs (the oak leaves, deer, or decorative patterns) that I often see generated on the carvewright, so I bought one.

I do feel the software needs some improvement, but I'll also admit I haven't really learned it very well yet. So I've been reading the site, gleening info, and trying to learn how to use it. I'm always hoping to catch some info on that 'advanced' software package I see mentioned.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123