Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: The CarveWright Pattern Depot

Potential buyer, you have me a tad confused. One the one hand you say you are a potential buyer, yet on the other you say you may return your CW because of the pattern situation. Someone who spends that kind of money without having an idea of what they wish to do with it is a bit cart before the horse. That's why YOU should use Designer to learn both how to use the vector tools and how to use raster images for making your own Patterns. Patterns are created from YOUR raster images or creations, and you as well as others should be able to create them and even allow others to see what they are without losing control over them. It's still a very nice thing in this country to be able to make a buck, and if the price is too high, no buyers; if the price is right, then you'll have buyers ... or you or anyone can GIVE them away as they see fit.
    Bob

2. Default

Thanks for the help PKUNK.

I havent made the move to 1.123 yet.

And I dont see me making the move for some time.

But that was one question I was wondering about.

Thanks..
    Last edited by woodknack; 12-06-2007 at 10:59 PM.

Exclamation Protection

Therefore, due to the manner in which patterns are authored, the software will no longer allow the editing of licensed patterns. When a user saves a file out of the Pattern Editor, it assigns authorship to the user. If a user could transfer authorship of any pattern to them self, then there would be no protection against anyone taking another’s original creation and distributing multiple, perhaps hundreds or thousands of copies against the wishes of the original creator and without any fair payment to them. This would discourage people from making their high quality patterns available at all.

My take on this whole issue is; if Microsoft Word, Excel and other programs allow us to Password Protect our documents or templates... why not set Designer to allow us to choose which MPC's we want to protect? I see no practicality in blanket assigning protection to every design.
    Are ya smoking canine fecal matter, AGAIN????

http://home.att.net/~inabnitt/wsb/ht...out.html-.html

Default Sorry I'm new

I have 1.119.
    Is this OK to use?
    Or should I up grade to the new version?

And what will the new version do for me?

Sarge,
    You went a step TOO far. When someone creates a pattern file (PTN) and uses it to create an MPC file and attaches that MPC file here for you or anyone to download, you can download that file and use it in Designer as you wish and as you have been doing. That MPC file CAN be edited by you and you can change anything in it in designer as you have any other previously. It's the PTN pattern that can't be put into a Pattern Editor and changed, not the MPC file. You CAN add another PTN to that file, if you wish. You can remove a PTN file from that MPC file if you wish. You can add or remove any vectorizing that either you or the original author has done. It's JUST the PTN file that can't be edited.

I've edited this post a bit, as after reading the first draft, it was more confusing than clarifying. Hope this version makes more sense.

Bob
    Last edited by BobHill; 12-07-2007 at 11:42 AM.

quote; bobhill; "It's JUST the PTN file that can't be edited"

bob, that's what the beef is. we use to be able to edit any ptn. (cbpe to paint.net). let those who create the ptn. decide whether to lock or un-lock?

>.let those who create the ptn. decide whether to lock or un-lock?<<

John,

And that is EXACTLY what this new PTN procedure does. Do NOT confuse a mpc file with a ptn file. If the original author wishes to allow it to be an edital paattern file, then just upload it as a MPW file and anyone who downloads it has that option to make their own edit and pattern from that edit. If the author uploads the pattern file as a PTN then THEY keep ownership of any ability to edit it. What's wrong with that?

Bob
    Last edited by BobHill; 12-07-2007 at 09:37 PM.

bob, now i (we) have to buy a $300.00 probe/ pattern editor to play with the mpw. file.

What program except for the CW Pattern Editor, or Jeff's Pattern Editor were you ever able to edit a PTN file with? I understand that Jeff's Editor WILL be able to once again be used (under the same auspices as CW's)once the details are worked out.

Bob

Default png or mpw

Quote Originally Posted by JOHNB View Post
    bob, now i (we) have to buy a $300.00 probe/ pattern editor to play with the mpw. file.

[QOUTE=]not if we all post png format to share.
    will paint.net take an mpw???? just looked nope. does anybody know if we lose resolutoin by going to the png format?[/QOUTE]

the file sharing should be done in .png so those without the pattern editor could edit to there hearts content and the import in to pattern library.
    Last edited by TIMCOSBY; 12-08-2007 at 10:57 PM. Reason: CLARIFYING TO SOME

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast