Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The CarveWright Pattern Depot

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff_Birt View Post
    As I understand it, you can share any MPC files you wish and other folks can carve them and make changes as long as they do not contain any licensed patterns.
    Firstly, Thank you for your time on the forum and helping trying to sort the confusion out.
    But another question. Lets say I make a pattern for a plague. Somebody wants to use it, and I am happy to share for free, but if I understand correctly, because I designed the pattern it is automatically licensed to me. So weather I sell it or give for free, I have to have someway for my customer to get a license to use my pattern.
    If it doesn't fit force it. If it breaks then it needed replacing anyway.

Have a Craftsman Carver and Running Ver. 1.150

Posting pictures tutorial http://www.malanoski.com/downloads/posting_pictures.pdf.

Nope. You should be able to share and use other people's patterns just fine. You just can't edit the actual PTN file in Editor. You should even be able to merge patterns and do all the things in Designer you now do, or have been doing to a pattern, EXCEPT modify it. That's as I understand it, anyway. If one wishes to share a PTN file with the idea the one who is receiving the file will be able to edit it as well as the owner, then if it's saved as a MPW artwork file in Editor. This would allow the owner to make the file into one anyone can edit. Of course to have the editor, you must also have the Probe and it's software. An MPW file can be opened in Pattern Editor (via Designer, Open, path to your MPW file) if you have it, then saved as a PTN again, or again as a PTN file.
    Bob
    Last edited by BobHill; 12-04-2007 at 12:15 PM.

Thanks for the reply Bob, I will eventually get my head around this.
    If it doesn't fit force it. If it breaks then it needed replacing anyway.

Have a Craftsman Carver and Running Ver. 1.150

Posting pictures tutorial http://www.malanoski.com/downloads/posting_pictures.pdf.

Default Pattern or Design?

I think people might be mistaken a design for a pattern. If you 'design' something in Designer program, it is not actually a 'pattern'. Designs are .mpc files and are completely editable when sharing. Patterns are the .ptn files made only with the scanner software and will no longer be able to be edited with the new update. Am I right here or totaly off base?

5. Default Well see....

Quote Originally Posted by BobHill View Post
    Nope. You should be able to share and use other people's patterns just fine. You just can't edit the actual PTN file in Editor. You should even be able to merge patterns and do all the things in Designer you now do, or have been doing to a pattern, EXCEPT modify it. That's as I understand it, anyway. If one wishes to share a PTN file with the idea the one who is receiving the file will be able to edit it as well as the owner, then if it's saved as a MPW artwork file in Editor. This would allow the owner to make the file into one anyone can edit. Of course to have the editor, you must also have the Probe and it's software. An MPW file can be opened in Pattern Editor (via Designer, Open, path to your MPW file) if you have it, then saved as a PTN again, or again as a PTN file.
    Bob

Thats the problem. If Ken makes a pattern and offers it to everyone on the board and I think it would be great for my project if it just didn't have that thingy in the middle I would use Jeff's program to open it, take out the thingy and have a perfect pattern for my project. Now I can't do that. I have no problem with protecting your patterns if you want to, but why force everyone into it?

Commercial patterns should be protected. It's a shame that people can't just respect a copywrite but they don't. But why the heavy hand on the patterns that we make and freely trade ourselfs. I don't have a scanner probe and have counted on CBPE to modify patterns made by ME and folks that wish to share. This needs to be fixed.

Terry

Terry, I see your point. I think CW had envisioned the MPW (artwork) format as being the 'editable' format for patterns, and a PTN (pattern) was just for use as a pattern. I have the probe/CW Pattern editor and keep MPWs for everything, and if I need to change something on one of my patterns I'll open the MPW save it as the next revision number, edit it, and then save it as a PTN (pattern). An unintended consequence of CBPE was that distinction between a PTN and MPW got blurred.

I know I like to be able to edit existing patterns as do others, but realize that 99% of folks don't and also realize that it is up to the pattern vendor to allow modification of their work or not. As users if we have a pattern we wish to make available in an editable form, we can include the MPW or a high quality PNG to let other folks edit to their hearts content.

I also wonder how popular the CW Pattern Editor might be if you could buy it separately from the probe.
    Happy carving , Jeff Birt

Check out www.soigeneris.com for CarveWright Accesories.

Home of the 'Carving in the Dark' back lit LCD kit!

Default Pattern Editor

I have a Probe and enjoy using it,
    But I'm sure if I didn't,
    I would hesitate to buy the CW Pattern Editor in a minute
    Ken

Ver 1.182 on XL Pro plus Ver 1.164 and 1.175 on Windows 7 Ultimate
    It Never Fails * Till * You Say It Never Fails

Terry,
    BUT, you know who created the pattern, so if you'd like to edit it, then ASK the author if he'd mind if you did so. If he/she agrees, then they can make the file into a MPW which YOU can bring into Pattern Editor (if you have it, which comes with the Probe), then you can Edit it, and make your own PTN file. IF, however you don't have the Probe and Pattern Editor, you can't edit the PTN in any case, BUT, if the author will agree, THEY can send you (or post) the original RASTER image, which you can edit in something like Corel or PhotoShop and make your own PTN file with it's Import.
    Nothing has changed, EXCEPT, PTN file are now protected from editing by the author, who now is in charge of if they wish it to be edited. AND, of course you can play with Patterns in Designer from the Pattern Store, but unless purchased, they won't carve. That's fair, isn't it?
    Bob

9. Default

Bob,
    I appreciate your views on this but my point is this; It shouldn't be something we have to have a workaround for. LHR is restricting the full useability of the machine to those who are computer literate enough to juggle all of the different file formats and and extensions when simply giving the choice to those who make patterns as to whether they want them locked or not would solve just about everyones gripes.

When you create a pattern, a check box could be clicked "yes" or "no" to the question "do you want to lock this pattern".
    Why should it be so hard? Why should those who make and enjoy sharing their patterns have to do anything special to overcome LHR's decision to take away their choice.

As I said, I do not have a scanner probe or the software to go with it. I'm willing to bet most of the users don't. Why should it be so difficult or impossible? Just make it more reasonable.

Terry

10. Default

What are the differences from 1.121 and 1.123 other then the Pattern Sharing depot?

I know if you have 1.121 on your card it fixes the slow measuring board speed of 1.120

Does 1.123 measure the board the same speed as 1.121?

Say I bought a pattern from cw's pattern sharing depot with 1.123. Does The pattern Automaticly download into my pattern file in designer?

If so we cant save it to another location?

What if my computer crashes and I have to redo the cw software, Do I lose the pattern from cw that I paid for?

Or does cw keep a record of what people have bought so we can get them back?

Im just trying to weigh the pro's and con's here.

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast