Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: The CarveWright Pattern Depot

i, and i'm sure many others, can not afford your $300.00 pattern editor. i would export a ptn. (with cbpe) into my editor (paint.net). both programs being free/shareware/donation. i would no longer be able to do this. why could you not "lock" a licensed pattern, and leave the others "un-lock"?
    let those who create the pattern decide whether to lock or un-lock.

Thank you Jlovechick for the explanations now anyone that knows may answer this question. Do you flash your card with the new version? my card is running 1.121. I guess tomorrow I will be doing some upgrading so I can get the patterns I need. Good thing I am busy on a handrail and have not had time to carve. CW does not do iron.
    I have to admit I am still a little nervous about this not because of LHR but because of my computer savy or lack of I don't want to lose anything in the process and with me and a computer anything is possible.

Quote Originally Posted by jlovchik View Post
    Your MPC files will still open in anyones's software, but they won't be able to upload it to their card and carve it
    So several of the .mpc files that have been posted and willingly shared by other user's will now be no good to the rest of us. I somehow feel this is a step backwards in promoting the CC. Whilst I can see the reason for protection, I think this may need some extra thinking to overcome. One of the biggest threads on this forum is the Pattern sharing depot, and in one fell swoop, you just took that away from us.
    If it doesn't fit force it. If it breaks then it needed replacing anyway.

Have a Craftsman Carver and Running Ver. 1.150

Posting pictures tutorial http://www.malanoski.com/downloads/posting_pictures.pdf.

So several of the .mpc files that have been posted and willingly shared by other user's will now be no good to the rest of us.
    As I understand it, you can share any MPC files you wish and other folks can carve them and make changes as long as they do not contain any licensed patterns. One big advantage that this allows us as users is that if we are having troubles getting something laid out just right we could post the MPC even though it contains the licensed pattern, other folks who have not purchased the pattern can still open it up, and alter the MPC but they just can't carve it. So, in that regard it does make it a bit easier to help each other out and nothing has been lost.

i, and i'm sure many others, can not afford your $300.00 pattern editor. i would export a ptn. (with cbpe) into my editor (paint.net). both programs being free/shareware/donation. i would no longer be able to do this. why could you not "lock" a licensed pattern, and leave the others "un-lock"?
    What if you could just purchase a license for the CW pattern editor itself? I think many people can't justify the purchase of the probe but would like the pattern editing capabilities of the CW Pattern Editor. Am I way off base here?

No. No confusion here. I am talking about the pattern editor, and being able to change the pattern or patterns I download and or buy into patterns I am going to use on a regular basis.
    I think we have a few different ways to think about this. One is that it is nice to be able to tweak a pattern and get it just so (being honest with myself I have to say that I realize that 99% of CW owners don't do this), the other is that the folks who produce/sell them need to be able to protect their products (and their livelihood) and it is up to the pattern vendor to decide if they will offer their wares in an editable version or not.

Those of us who would like to freely offer 'editable' patterns of our own could still do so by posting the MPWs or high quality PNGs, which the folks with the CW Pattern Editing Software (or other software) could use.
    Happy carving , Jeff Birt

Check out www.soigeneris.com for CarveWright Accesories.

Home of the 'Carving in the Dark' back lit LCD kit!

5. Default

I have been reading but maybe I am missing the point.

Ok, you make a pattern that is of an award, lets says Baseball, and you sell it to others with a blank banner. I receive it and to make it saleable I need to add the Denver Nuggets to the blank banner on the award (if you had it, you'd add maybe the Salt Lake City Jazz).

Am I correct that I can not "edit" nor add to this licensed pattern?

Ed

Ed,

You can scale it, add text, ect. in Project Designer just like before. In this context 'Editing', means opening a pattern up in the Probe software.

7. Default

oh, I understand now, makes me feel much better.

BTW; did my first carvings yesterday, one was AWFUL the other two turned out much better than expected.

Ed

Default Show us

Us some pictures you know we are all picture sleeze bags here and want to see
    OppPPSSS almost said sl*ts instead of sleeze In the gallery of course

Quote Originally Posted by weimar_police View Post
    BTW; did my first carvings yesterday, one was AWFUL the other two turned out much better than expected.

Ed
    "Our principles are the springs of our actions. Our actions, the springs of our happiness or misery. Too much care, therefore, cannot be taken in forming our principles." Red Skelton

I have 1.132 and previous versions back to 1.19 on standby

Please support Cystic Fibrosis

Default some what

Clearer but some still about as clear as mud. WHat i am seeing is yes we can still do certain things but other things we are now going to be forced to purchase a probe so we can get that software and i dont see just the software available for purchase
    "Our principles are the springs of our actions. Our actions, the springs of our happiness or misery. Too much care, therefore, cannot be taken in forming our principles." Red Skelton

I have 1.132 and previous versions back to 1.19 on standby

Please support Cystic Fibrosis

Clearer but some still about as clear as mud. WHat i am seeing is yes we can still do certain things but other things we are now going to be forced to purchase a probe so we can get that software and i dont see just the software available for purchase
    No, you can do all the same stuff you did before without the probe software with the added benefit of being able to download patterns from the CW Pattern Depot and see how they will look on your project before having to purchase them. You can still use the patterns that other folks have made themselves and shared here on the forum.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast