Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: The CarveWright Pattern Depot

Terry,
    Although I like your idea about having the ability to mark your own pattern as being editable by others, and I suspect that's do-able given the programers aren't tied up with other tasks (LHR is NOT MicroSoft by any stretch of the imagination, with unlimited programers and directions they can task at the same time).
    Having said that, however, if you don't have the Pattern Editor, why would that help you or others in the same boat. You have to use a Pattern Editor (and Jeff's will soon be back on line, I understand) to edit a pattern. It can't be done now in designer, or any other graphics program (except Jeff's) that I'm aware of. Perhaps I'm behind times on this, but eager to learn, if so.
    Bob

Woodknack,
    From what I understand (I just returned from a Caribbean Cruise ... too much food), so I'm a bit behind, but from what I understand, 1.123 doesn't do a thing about pattern procedure EXCEPT to preserve the original from being edited by other than the author ... and doesn't allow patterns for sale to be carved (they CAN be used in Designer, but just won't carve). If this also now is a fact of all patterns not authored by you, then the owner can allow their pattern to be used just by making it into the MPW file format, which then CAN be edited by anyone, and then THAT could be made into THEIR "original" pattern PTN file and used by THEM to carve. Chris, or someone with more knowledge on this can certainly jump in here with any correction, which might enlighten us all a bit more. But that's the way I understand the process at the moment. And I, personally don't find that a big deal, while it still protects someone elses work that they might like to show, but now share with the world as a workable pattern. Doesn't that make sense?

One of the neat things about this country is the ability for spin off businesses (some work, some don't), but also protection for one's work, albeit someone may also wish to give their work away if they desire. I don't see any deviation from this ability with LHR's new procedure.
    Bob
    Last edited by BobHill; 12-06-2007 at 08:16 AM.

3. Default

So say I bought a pattern from cw and my computer crashed. Where im not able to export there pattern to a different place for safe keeping. Will I be out the money I spent on cw patterns? Or does cw keep track of this in some way?

How will I get my pattern back??

4. Default Pattern Depot joke

This is in my opinion a total waste of time and resources on the part LHR. I have had the CW for about a week now, fantastic machine but like some other people stated I think the software is very lacking. They should be putting their efforts into improving the software instead of some futile attempt at making a few bucks on pattern design. Seriously, how much money do you think there is to be made by selling patterns? And the idea of protecting a private developers time and talent by some kind of copyright or software protection is laughable.
    I am not trying to slam CW its just how I see it. As a matter of fact I may return the CW just because of the software limitations.

So say I bought a pattern from cw and my computer crashed. Where im not able to export there pattern to a different place for safe keeping. Will I be out the money I spent on cw patterns? Or does cw keep track of this in some way?

How will I get my pattern back??
    Just back up your 'favorites.mpn' at "C:\Documents and Setting\UserName\CarveWright". It has all your patterns in there. Like everything else on your computer it is really your job to back it up. Although CW does keep track of what patterns you purchase from them so if you downloaded them again, your license would still be good.

They should be putting their efforts into improving the software instead of some futile attempt at making a few bucks on pattern design.
    How do you know they aren't?? Sounds like an assumption on your part, and you know what they say about assuming things...

And the idea of protecting a private developers time and talent by some kind of copyright or software protection is laughable.
    Well, as a guy who has spent a lot of time developing things like patterns and software I would have to disagree.

I am not trying to slam CW its just how I see it. As a matter of fact I may return the CW just because of the software limitations.
    While I will be the first to admit that Designer does have many limitations I challenge anyone to find a package that is as easy to use. Then try to find some software that is close that doesn't cost more than the CW machine itself. I mean have you guys ever tried using a big name 3D CAM package like MasterCAM or SurfCAM? Generating 3D tool-paths is not a trivial thing to do.

I mean I would love to have the cababilities of ArtCAM, but at $8,000 I can't afford it.
    Last edited by Jeff_Birt; 12-06-2007 at 01:12 PM.
    Happy carving , Jeff Birt

Check out www.soigeneris.com for CarveWright Accesories.

Home of the 'Carving in the Dark' back lit LCD kit!

6. Default

[QUOTE=Jeff_Birt;37339]Just back up your 'favorites.mpn' at "C:\Documents and Setting\UserName\CarveWright". It has all your patterns in there. Like everything else on your computer it is really your job to back it up. Although CW does keep track of what patterns you purchase from them so if you downloaded them again, your license would still be good.

ok how do you back them up on a mac?

Yes I do know that saving stuff on your computer is your own responcability . Thats why Id like to know how to back up what you bought from CW. On a mac and pc.

Hmmm...on a mac I don't know, do a search for 'fovorites.mpn' on your computer. I would assume it would stashed somewhere in your user profile. Maybe pkunk, who is a Mac guy, can chime in here and let us know.

8. Default

So what ever you down load as a pattern from cw goes into your favorites on your web browser? Or do they give you a download link that you can save?

Id think they would have made it easier then that to back up a file from them. Maybe the should have made there own file format for there patterns?

Just seems like another step to remember to do.

No, it has nothing to do with your web browsers favorites. When you import a pattern into Designer, any pattern, it is copied into a file called 'favorites.mpn'. You just need to find this file and back it up. I'm sorry I just don't know where it is located on a Mac. I'm assuming that Macs have a search feature that you can locate files with. Use it and search for 'favorites.mpn'.

Relax Woodknack.. Go to your Home folder>library>Carvewright>Favorites.mpn
    Make a copy & back it up somewhere like on a CD or backup drive. I can even import it into my Windoz laptop-same files, all of them.
    The 50-50-90 rule: Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

Do it on a Mac.
    Vietnam Vet '65-'66

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast