Thread: "load board" and nothing happens...

Default "load board" and nothing happens...

Hello,
    When I went to use the machine last it will not proceed past the load board stage. This happens regardless if it is a project or a rip operation. My guess would be that there is a sensor someplace that tells the machine there is material there, but Im not sure where to look. Is there a diagram of where the sensors are? Could it be something else?

The crank works smoothly and seems to engage the wood properly. I blew out and vacuumed the machine to the best of my ability. Thanks for any help!

Joe

You need to be more specific about the problem. When you start a project with the board already loaded does it ask you to load the board? There are two switches that are activated by the two pressure rollers (black rollers that press down on board) when the rollers are compressed as teh head is lowered down on the board.

Without a board in the machine, turn it on and press '0' and then '7', this takes you to the sensor test menu. Scroll through this menu until you find the compression roller screen and manually push up on one roller at a time, you should hear a click and the reading on the display should change. If your readings did change, load a board in the machine (stay in sensor test menu) and watch the display as you crank the head down, both readings should change around the time the handle starts to ratchet. If they do not then the head is not coming down far enough. This is usually caused by dirty vertical guide rods or your shop is too cold.

BTW, you can use the 'Search' tool to find answers for many questions like this. Search is your friend.
    Happy carving , Jeff Birt

Check out www.soigeneris.com for CarveWright Accesories.

Home of the 'Carving in the Dark' back lit LCD kit!

and/or blow the front ends of the rollers out. i know it helps to release them, may also help to compress them?

Default roller tests

Jeff, thanks for the tips...That menu is very helpful! Both rollers hit their switches fine. I see what you mean about the cold and it makes sense. Thats brings to mind a question...My shop is detached from the house and it is unheated. I do throw plastic over all equipment when not in use, but will the cold by itself possibly damage the machine? If this is even a remote possibility I'll bring it into the house when it's not getting used.

Thanks again! -Joe

Throwing plastic over anything metel in an unheated area will cause condensation to build and start rusting immediatly. In addition , it not good for the computer.
    Also you have aluminum and steel which expand and contrct at different levals in hot and cold on this machine.

just my 2 cents, Daniel
    Last edited by Dan-Woodman; 12-02-2007 at 10:16 AM.
    1.187 Custom Woodworking for more than 40-years

Condensation is your biggest worry when going through heating/cooling cycles. The humidity is really low when it's cold so it may not be a huge problem. There was another thread about the working temperature range of precision equipment like the CW the other day, rjustice had a really good post explaining the whole issue. Here ya go, look at post#17.

http://www.carvewright.com/forum/sho...ture#post36686
    Happy carving , Jeff Birt

Check out www.soigeneris.com for CarveWright Accesories.

Home of the 'Carving in the Dark' back lit LCD kit!

Default working temps/humidity

That was very informative, thanks for the link.

Question...Please correct me if I am wrong... if you cover the equipment in plastic will the condensation form on the outside of the plastic? Or for this to be true would the entire machine need to be inside a plastic bag?