Thread: First project, 175th Outlaw Plaque

1. Default First project, 175th Outlaw Plaque

Besides spelling messenger wrong on this first test run of a whole plaque the project came out well. I still do not understand how to do alot of things I would like to, such as making the horn rounded but I guess I will learn. It took several tries to get the crest to this point and it looks good enough that I am going to stop messing with it. I would be ashame to tell you how long it took me to do this. Can someone who has been doing this for awhile tell me how long it should have taken me.

This is the crest for the 175th Assault Helicopter Company, Vinh Long, Vietnam. The unit was one of the first AHC's in Vietnam 1964 it disbanded in late 72. I plan to make some as gifts for my fellow Outlaws and maybe even sell a few to help pay for my hobby.

Thanks to all of those who post there works as ptn and mpc files. For a beginner like me it is a big help to see what others have done.

Thanks again, Jim Donnelly
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails crest closeup.JPG   Ol full view 2.JPG  

Default Very Nice !!!!

The patch came out GREAT !!!! WOW....

AL

Jim, lookin' good! When were you there? I've worked alot with the history committee to put together the history of the 114th. We shared the airfield with you all. http://114thaviationcompany.com/
    Cobra 1 CE, Cobra platoon.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 005_5 copy 1.JPG  
    Last edited by pkunk; 11-22-2007 at 08:48 PM.
    The 50-50-90 rule: Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

Do it on a Mac.
    Vietnam Vet '65-'66

Default spelling

hey i spelled my own daughters name wrong so it happens to all of us. she was dreaming the other day and saying biggg fishhhh.

isabellaplaque.mpc

Default nice job

looks good, give yourself more credit.
    Still using 1.120 & 1.126

Default The one she'll always remember

Hey Tim,

Great project and well done
    Nice thought for a young persons trophy plaque
    Ken

Ver 1.182 on XL Pro plus Ver 1.164 and 1.175 on Windows 7 Ultimate
    It Never Fails * Till * You Say It Never Fails

Looking good, Your question about speeding up projects is a good one.
    Not much can be done in a 100% raster carving except drop detail from best to normal, or draft but I don't suggest it.
    I use vector carving as much as possible, centerline or outline text, avoid placing details in carved pockets when surface carving will do.
    Raster time is pretty much a fixed feed rate, so the square inches of detail carved project will determine the time needed to complete. So keep the pattern carving limited to the minimum and use vectors as much as possible. Avoid large pocketed regions with little detail instead place the detail on the surface and frame your carvings with traditional methods if possible.
    disclaimer follows:
    This is what I have attempted to do and these are only my opinions.
    I do alot of cheap plaques for retail. I also do custom 100% raster carves for higher end signs. feel free to check out my Web site I will answer any question that I can.
    Mike G
    Custom wood working, etc, www.gmanind.com