Thread: A challenge for some of you...

Default A challenge for some of you...

I have been trying to figure out a way to do the following...

Take the profile of the first picture (a side profile)

Turn it 90 degrees to the left so that you are looking at the right hand side.

Now apply the appropriate shading so that it carves on the machine with the same depths and dimensions as the side profile shows. Somewhat like the second picture.

Maybe someone that is better with Corel or some other program can tell me if this is possible. If so, then how?

I did the example in Corel using the extrusion tool and lighting but when you bring it into CW it does not work right.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sideview.png   sideview01.jpg  
    CarveSpot - http://www.CarveSpot.com

Here's my 30 second attempt, doubt it's any better. Knowing the dimensions would help.
    Attached Files Attached Files

That is pretty good. Sorry for not supplying the dimensions. It is .75 thick by 2.25 high.
    What program did you use and how did you get it so close?
    Last edited by Durtdawber; 11-22-2007 at 07:05 PM.

It would take the carvewright hours to make a few feet of this moulding. I can make hundreds of feet of it in less time, cleaner(no fuzzies), on the shaper.
    The 50-50-90 rule: Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

Do it on a Mac.
    Vietnam Vet '65-'66

That's nice but I don't have a shaper. Also, this is not the final design. It would also involve adding decroative work, symbols or wording onto the design. I am also looking at using this technique for things other than moulding.

Quote Originally Posted by Durtdawber View Post
    That is pretty good. Sorry for not supplying the dimensions. It is .75 thick by 2.25 high.
    What program did you use and how did you get it so close?
    I used Photoshop to clean up the sideview.png image (see attached profile1.bmp) and scaled it vertically to 288 pixels (2.25" @ 1/128" per pixel, see attached profile2.bmp). Then, I wrote a very simple program to convert the profile into a depth map (see attached depth_profile.bmp). At the moment, I'm not sure how to reproduce this step in the various art packages.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Default profile

Looks good, could you post your program for all who use photoshop
    thank you
    joe