Page 47 of 97 FirstFirst ... 37454647484957 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's Do Some Plaques and Signs

Quote Originally Posted by William Blankenship View Post
    Thanks Ken. The font, named Georgia, carves cleanly. I use this font for quite a few things.

That plaque turned out really nice, Ike. Good job on the staining. What and how did you do it?

Lawrence, that really looks clean. Sam. Adams Cherry Wheat is one I haven't tried. I'll have to look for that one. Thanks for sharing.

Shacky, I'm just going to put a clear coat on this one. It will match what he already has on his wall with just clear coat on it.

Bill.....
    Thank you Bill, I had a post suggesting you make the letters on your great sign black. A paint pen works great for raised letters and black does great. I removed it though I didn't want to sound like a know it all!

I love your sign and the design was great very uniformed letters and the messages is always great!

Lol funny thing about you asking about staining on mine! Craig asked about staining on a post and I don't use stain on a sign, well that isn't true I don't stain the front, but as a sealer I will stain the back. I use old growth redwood and it is such a beautiful wood I just apply a water based polyurethane. In this case I used Cabot polyurethane and sprayed on with a HVLP sprayer. I did use a black paint pen for the names and the above I used a artist brush for the purple and white and tried to highlight Jesus' face. It is for a friend getting married, but ordered from another friend as a gift.

My wife and son liked it I hope they do?

Lawernce your's looks great too I am not a football fan so whatever team you put on there is fine with me! It was well designed.

Ike

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by chebytrk View Post
    Hey Bill, where can I find that font? Thanks, JerryB
    On its way to a computer near you....<grin> Check your email. Enjoy

Quote Originally Posted by Ike View Post
    Thank you Bill, I had a post suggesting you make the letters on your great sign black. A paint pen works great for raised letters and black does great. I removed it though I didn't want to sound like a know it all!
    I wouldn't take you that way. I'm always in for a little advice. Lord knows, I can always use it. <grin>.

...old growth redwood and it is such a beautiful wood I just apply a water based polyurethane....Cabot polyurethane and sprayed on with a HVLP sprayer. I did use a black paint pen for the names and the above I used a artist brush for the purple and white and tried to highlight Jesus' face. It is for a friend getting married, but ordered from another friend as a gift.
    It really looks good, man. Thanks for sharing the method. I'm sure they are going to like it!!
    I'm going to keep my eyes open for some of that wood. That is gorgeous wood. Looks like I'm going back to the craft store in the next couple of days to see about some paint pens, too.

Bill...
    Last edited by William Blankenship; 12-18-2009 at 07:51 PM.

Bill, about the only place I know to get OG redwood is on the coast of California. That is where I get mine I need to get some more, but with my back my sign shop is slowly being closed. I think you may find OG redwood on e-bay too.

Thank you for the kind words again

Ike

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Ike View Post
    Bill, about the only place I know to get OG redwood is on the coast of California. That is where I get mine I need to get some more, but with my back my sign shop is slowly being closed. I think you may find OG redwood on e-bay too.

Thank you for the kind words again

Ike
    Ike,
    That sounds like it would be expensive to order it and have some shipped. I wonder if one of the local lumber yards could order it for me. I'll have to check. I would like to carve something using OG redwood. I ordered some Zebra wood and the price was a little hefty. Beautiful wood, but expensive. I didn't get very much of it either.
    Sorry to hear about your back and sign shop closing. I'll check e-bay, too. I never thought of e-bay for woods.

Take care, man, and of course.....Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!!

Bill....

Thanks Bill it is really slowly closing! You have a good Christmas, cand you believe it is next week?

Ike

Default Styalized Tree Pattern Plague

Here's one I plan, or Hope to Hang on the wall in our downstairs landing.
    Still playing around with the colors a little.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Styalized Tree Pattern 1a.jpg   Styalized Tree Color Mat.jpg   Styalized Tree Pattern 2a.jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Ken

Ver 1.182 on XL Pro plus Ver 1.164 and 1.175 on Windows 7 Ultimate
    It Never Fails * Till * You Say It Never Fails

Here is the final result for the "Steelers (Ian) Territory" sign as well as the beginning of another sign for my oldest son. I definately had some learning points from these projects... I learned that you can spray black paint on and then glob paint into the letters and that acrylic will wipe off the black just fine but when you try to do that with white it leaves a haze... oh well, it was a good learning point. Both signs are 1/2 MDF with a 1# shellac prime and 2-3 coats of quick dry spray overtop. I then covered the board with contact paper and carved it out.

Thanks for looking
    Lawrence

Quote Originally Posted by lawrence View Post
    Here is the final result for the "Steelers (Ian) Territory" sign as well as the beginning of another sign for my oldest son. I definately had some learning points from these projects... I learned that you can spray black paint on and then glob paint into the letters and that acrylic will wipe off the black just fine but when you try to do that with white it leaves a haze... oh well, it was a good learning point. Both signs are 1/2 MDF with a 1# shellac prime and 2-3 coats of quick dry spray overtop. I then covered the board with contact paper and carved it out.

Thanks for looking
    Lawrence
    Lawrence,

Those are some great looking signs. And thanks for sharing your learning lessions. I'm sure they will help more than a few people in the future.

Doug Fletcher

Default Sign for a friends basement bar...

Here is a sign I just finished for a friends basement. Dont hold it against me for HIS chioce of beer! And he wanted his two favorite things combined.. harleys and keystone beer. I think it turned out ok.

Doug Fletcher
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HPIM1135 (Small).JPG  
    Last edited by dbfletcher; 12-19-2009 at 12:16 AM.

Bonney Lake, Washington, United States, 113160055365328, Bonney Lake, Washington

That is a great looking sign! Even with the "choice" of beer It sure gives me good ideas. Thanks for sharing.
    Tom Watson
    Two CW's and D.C.-Top Mount Insert @ Ringneckblues.com Get the dust out!!
    50" X 48" PDJ Pilot Pro CNC http://www.pdjinc.com

Check out my Facebook page for current carvings at http://www.facebook.com/signsinwood

Watsons Wooden Words http://www.signsinwood.com & Messages in Wood http://www.messagesinwood.com/

Page 47 of 97 FirstFirst ... 37454647484957 ... LastLast