Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Full-Size Christmas Wreath (17" dia)

Default Full-Size Christmas Wreath (17" dia)

Hello,

Well, it took me about 3 weeks to figure out how to do it, and to actually carve and finish it, but I came up with a method of making a wreath that is 17" in diameter and 1.25" to 1.75" thick (including the bow). All done on our 'beloved' CC/CW machine using just the regular carving bit and cutting bit.

Total carve time was about 10 1/2 hrs. for all six pieces that make up the project. (Laid out in four mpc files = 4 carves). It really looks 'classy' on our front entry door - all wood, carved, holly-leaf wreath! My wife loves it! (So does the UPS man who made a delivery just after I hung it up to take some pictures.)

Started out as a personal project, but I ended up writing a tutorial on exactly how it is put together and finished, plus decided to add the mpc's to our CarveBuddy website and calling it the "WreathKit_1". The tutorial is too large to post here (a little over 3mb because of all the photos in it), but you can view it if you wish by going to the following link: http://www.carvebuddy.com/PDFs/Chris...orialFINAL.pdf
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Wreath_Closeup_17inch_diameter.jpg   Wreath_on_entry_door.jpg  
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Default Excellent WORK !!!!

Another example of EXCELLENT WORK and a GREAT PROJECT.

Thanks for the Work,

AL

This is an excellent tutorial and a really nice item. You have outdone yourself with this one.
    CarveSpot - http://www.CarveSpot.com

Thumbs up

I am not worthy;
    Wow what a great project there must be a mountain of chips next to your machine after all that work. That is really a beautiful piece. Do you think you will make any to sell? 10 1/2 hours on the machine, you realize you only have 189 1/2 hours left on you warrentee now LOL. Keep up the great work. I will have to check out the Carvebuddy website when I get home to see what is new. Kind of hoping you have a comical turkey or pilgrim for thanksgiving. hint hint. Wife looking for that,
    But again great job

Default Great Wreath

Michael,

Very impressive project, I would say three weeks well spent.
    The carving will be great for a Holiday addition to CarveBuddy website.

Thanks so much for sharing
    Ken

Ver 1.182 on XL Pro plus Ver 1.164 and 1.175 on Windows 7 Ultimate
    It Never Fails * Till * You Say It Never Fails

Default Well Done

Michael,

That was very well done, and I like what you did to document it!
    Ken,
    V-1, 2, & 3

When the People fear their Government, there is Tyranny.
    When the Government fears the People, there is Liberty.
    - Thomas Jefferson

You must be the change you wish to see in the world.
    - Mohandas Gandhi

Thank you all. It was somewhat mentally tiring for me to work it all out, but in the end, I am very pleased I did it. Now I can get back to work making more 'regular' stuff! (although I've got a couple ideas for some other 'large format' projects.)

This project is pretty easy now, since all that has to be done is load the mpc's to a memory card and go carve 'em.

to answer a couple questions...
    "there must be a mountain of chips next to your machine after all that work"
    Yes, a lot of sawdust was generated during the carves. I would check on the carves every so often and periodically remove some of the build-up.

"Do you think you will make any to sell?"
    No, I'm not planning on making any to sell, but I might make a couple more for gifts. Kinda want to try gold-leafing the holly berries and the Christmas bow, to contrast with a darker stain for the wreath itself. Even thought about gold-leafing the wreath itself, apply a dark stain overall, then wiping off for a 'vintage' effect. Oh my - the possibilities are endless!

You are all very encouraging - Thanks again!
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Simply awsome piece of work! You will sell enough of those to help offset the labor involved. I've already purchased my copy.
    The 50-50-90 rule: Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

Do it on a Mac.
    Vietnam Vet '65-'66

hello Michael,
    Excellent job one of the nicest I have seen, very well done and put together the tutorial is also Excellent
    Computers-Yuk....I should junk it...It never does what it should do...only what I tell it.

I have to add my praise for this one, Michael. A great job, fantastic tutorial, and I'm sure it'll be a project most of us will attempt to complete.

Bob

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast