Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Board Lenght Measuring Error

I will try these things in the morning. Thanks for all of the help. We have been in the middle of MAJOR reconstruction and have not been able to get back into this forum for some time. It sure is nice to know you guys are still helping out. Hopefully will be moved into NEW shop in the spring. Its not all that big but it will be mine not rented.
    If You Saw What We Sawed!!

North Bay Woodworking

If you don't want to make waves......get off of the boat!

Well, I calibrated my cw. The stepping was reduced. It still will not measure my 20.5" board. It keeps reading around 20.113". Even with masking tape on the bottom. I did another cut path with masking tape on the edge and it just about stopped the stepping. When I took apart the encoder I noticed what appears to be something on it. air would not blow it off and I did not know if I should use my finger. There is a dark mark on the encoder at a diagonal across some of the bars.
    If You Saw What We Sawed!!

North Bay Woodworking

If you don't want to make waves......get off of the boat!

3. Default X Error Update

Just wanted to let y'all know I talked with LHR today. This problem is a head scratcher. Dave said he will talk with engineering in the AM and let me know what thier diagnosis is. I'll be glad when I stop making custom firewood.

Mike just a quick question is the small rubber O ring that is on the encoder still in its groove or did it pop and that is what is running crossways on the encoder
    Just a thought.

FWIW, I believe the measurement error is software related. I consistantly get the wrong measurement when I choose 'keep under rollers'. Just yesterday I had a 61" board the if 'keep under rollers' was chosen, measured 58"+ and as soon as I changed to not under rollers it measured correctly. Lest any of you thing I missed something, the letters were centered & I had over a foot to spare at each end. This was the same on 2 different boards, both straight & true, rough sanded to 100 grit on my drum sander so friction was not in the equasion.
    The 50-50-90 rule: Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

Do it on a Mac.
    Vietnam Vet '65-'66

Hello Paul,

Interesting observation regarding the measurement difference related to selecting keep under rollers vs. not selecting that option.

Are you experiencing this with the 1.121 firmware version, or a previous version?
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

If you choose 'Stay Under Rollers' when it measures the board it will subtract the extra 7" needed to stay under the rollers. So, a 20" long board will measure as 13" in 'Stay Under Rollers' mode.
    Happy carving , Jeff Birt

Check out www.soigeneris.com for CarveWright Accesories.

Home of the 'Carving in the Dark' back lit LCD kit!

8. Default

I have tried to recalibrate my machine since this problem arose but it stops about half way through. No error messages, it just goes back to the "Calibrate Offsets" command. LHR said there is no way for the end user to reset the calibration data. The machine would need to be sent back to do this.

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by pkunk View Post
    FWIW, I believe the measurement error is software related.
    I initially thought it might be software so when I called LHR yesterday I talked with Software Support first. After explaining the problem I was promptly transfered to Machine Support. I have a feeling it's a combination of both. The machine has a problem and the software isn't set up to deal with it.
    Just a guess.

Quote Originally Posted by mtylerfl View Post
    Hello Paul,

Interesting observation regarding the measurement difference related to selecting keep under rollers vs. not selecting that option.

Are you experiencing this with the 1.121 firmware version, or a previous version?
    Both. I have one of each on 2 cards.
    The 50-50-90 rule: Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

Do it on a Mac.
    Vietnam Vet '65-'66

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast