Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Z axis stall problems.

Default Z axis stall problems.

I finally got the sensor clean enough to see the board and now this.

I am getting a Z Axis stall Error 246 when the machine is trying to find the board surface.

After measuring the board it goes to “finding surface”. The Y truck moves all the way to the near side and the Z truck moves down till the bit touches the metal squaring plate a couple times. Then it moves all the way to the far side and a small arm swings out. The Z truck then moves the bit down in an apparent attempt to touch that arm. The bit misses the arm a couple times and then the Y axis moves to the near side and the bit moves down to touch the board. As soon as contact is made I get the Z axis stall Error 246.

I removed the rib on the bearing sweeper in the past and got a couple carvings and haven’t used the machine in quite a while. There is less than an hour on the odometer.

I unplugged the machine and manually moved the Y axis all the way to the far side and swung the arm out. There is no mechanical obstruction to the arm coming out far enough for the bit to touch the middle of it. When I was able to get it to carve the bit touched only on the rounded edge. Is there an adjustment I can make to get the arm to swing out farther?

I tried to go directly to support by clicking on the Support thread but got this

The requested URL /contact.html was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

whassupwidat???
    Bruce

Bruce, the bit plate not swinging out is a common problem. The top thread in the troubleshooting section has a troubleshooting PDF for the bit plate.

Other tips:
    Make sure you have update Designer and your firmware to 1.120
    Keep the bit plate pivot area clean
    A bit of bicycle chain wax on the contact area between the Y-truck and bit plate will help (or other DRY lubricant, NOT oil; oil + sawdust = glue).
    Search the forum for 'bit plate' for even more information
    Happy carving , Jeff Birt

Check out www.soigeneris.com for CarveWright Accesories.

Home of the 'Carving in the Dark' back lit LCD kit!

Jeff,

Thanks for the help. My book didn't say what the bit plate was called which would have made it easier to troubleshoot.
    Bruce

Jeff,

The fix in that thread was to remove the stiffening rib on the bearing sweeper. I did that the last time i had this problem and it fixed it then but I obviously can't do it twice.

I e-mailed this to the support guys and their response was:

"Mr .Watson, if you can, pull up on the black handle, just a little and try another project. If the problem still doesn’t clear give us a call at 713-473-6572"

I would be happy to try this fix if someone would tell me just what black handle they are talking about.
    Bruce

I always keep a slightly bent hacksaw blade handy and push the metal bit finder under the bit. After that I don't usually have any problems.
    If You Saw What We Sawed!!

North Bay Woodworking

If you don't want to make waves......get off of the boat!

Mike,

I was planning to do that with a piece of coat hanger but wanted to know if anyone else had done it.
    thanks for the confidence.

Bruce
    Bruce

gillil Guest

Default Same z-axis stall problem

I'm having the same problem that GRASSHOPPER previously posted. I've tried the suggested .pdf troubleshooting solutions with no luck. I've noticed that the truck mechanism is leaving a mark on the metal guide near where the truck would have touched the metal arm. Looks like a mechanical problem between the truck and the metal guide, but not sure how to proceed.

Any suggestions?

If the cam (contact area) of the bit plate is rough use a bit of emery cloth (or 400 grit sandpaper) to smooth it down. Don't try to remove much material, just make it a bit smoother. Next, get yourself some bicycle chain wax, and put a dab on you index finger. Wipe it on the contact area of both the bit plate and Y-truck and let it dry.

I use the bicycle chain wax about every 2-3 months and it takes care of the bit plate problem. It dries to a wax like consistency that does not attract saw dust; do not use oil!
    Happy carving , Jeff Birt

Check out www.soigeneris.com for CarveWright Accesories.

Home of the 'Carving in the Dark' back lit LCD kit!

gillil Guest

Smile Thanks!

Thanks for the suggestion - I'll give it a try and report back the progress!

I had an intermittant issue with this, and created a holder from a paperclip...this holder clips over the top frame, down the side, then makes a 90 degree turn towards the bit plate (just above the plate itself) then another 90 degree turn down holding the bit plate out about 80% of where it needs to be. I used a little duct tape on the top to hold it in place.

Being closer to the final position makes it easier to move into position, and doesn't get in the way when placing your board, even a full width one!

I haven't had a problem since adding this about 9 months ago!
    Jim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast