Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Around Here, Podner, I am the Law.

Default Around Here, Podner, I am the Law.

I did this Sherriff's badge piece for my father's birthday. He's a retired Federal enforcement chief, and he's involved with Cowboy Action Shooting. For those unfamiliar with the practice, My father gets together with a bunch of friends, they all dress up like they're living in the 1860s, and they have shooting matches with period weapons. It's really cool. =) Anyway, his character for this stuff (people tend to make up names/personas) is named "Yuma Trueheart", ostensibly from Yuma, AZ. Featured in the center of the piece is my version of his official Trueheart logo, which he's got engraved in his guns, etc.

You can't tell too well in this picture, but the entire star is crowned just a little bit, so that the center bulges up from the edges. It brings a lot to the dimensionality of the piece, but is kinda hard to show in a photo. Again created my usual way, modeled in MAX with Text, cleanup, and whatever else done in Photoshop. This is another piece carved from SignFoam (which I love love love), and this one measures approx. 8 inches tall. Painted/finished by my wife Kelli. Came out JUST about perfect, except for an annoying horizontal dip that occurs towards the top. Remember to keep those Rollers clean, kids!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails TheLaw.jpg  

WOW! Very nice job, gotta make the other cowpokes jealous now.
    What kind of paints did your wife use. What program is Max, I've never heard of it before.
    Go ahead, make my Day!

Thumbs up Trueheart

Really Great carving project, and tell you wife the paint job looks perfect.
    Plus your right about the SignFoam ---I love it too!
    Ken

Ver 1.182 on XL Pro plus Ver 1.164 and 1.175 on Windows 7 Ultimate
    It Never Fails * Till * You Say It Never Fails

GTJ44: She used Spraypaints, a little bit of stain, black india ink and a tiny amount of black watercolour. Nothing especially fancy!

When I refer to MAX, I'm referring to Autodesk's 3D Studio MAX, which is a 3D Modeling program I've been taught to use at work (I'm a video game artist). I sculpt my stuff in 3D, then render out the height information so that I can open the height info in the Carvewright program and essentially carve what I've modeled. It's a pretty high-end program and costs rediculous piles of money, but there are cheaper modeling solutions out there.

Hello SevenCubed,

I love that badge! Very unique...add the superb job on the finishing makes it a "perfect" project! Congrats on a job well done.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Talking

That does look great, I also have my wife paint anything that needs a brush or a fine touch, I just spray. or slop
    Mike G
    Custom wood working, etc, www.gmanind.com

Default Design

Any chance at that design becoming available for purchase without the words on it?

Been looking for a decent star for some of my Sheriffs works. Investigator in the Sheriffs Office myself. sometimes I find manipulating the machine is harder than interrogating a suspect..

Yeah, I wouldn't have any trouble cleaning off all the personal stuff and making the blank badge available for purchase... How much do people usually charge for a pattern design? What sounds reasonable, d'yathink?

That's really nice Sevencubed. I can tell that you really know how to use your machine and the software. Very Good job!
    I like 3DS MAx also but have no where near your level of skill with it.
    If anyone is interested in trying it; AutoDesk has a 30 day trial version on their website.
    Last edited by STEAM; 10-07-2007 at 01:02 PM.
    Gimme Steam.

-343, VERY AWESOME!!!! I know it is not allowed in the forum to use caps, but VERY AWESOME!!!! I bet you don't want to share or sell the pattern do you?

Again very nice!

Rick

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast