Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Softer Scanning probe possibility

1. Default Softer Scanning probe possibility

All,

I just got my scanning probe and found that it would scratch the paint off surfaces and many others were having this issue as well.

I found that if I put a model glue applicator tip (the ones you use to apply plastic model cement) it won't scratch your surface or leave any marks.

It fits nicely on the metal tip, blunts it, but doesn't add that much area to cause much concern in loss of detail. I've used it for only about 2 hours now, but I haven't seen much loss of plastic on the tip so I think it will hold up well.

I'm running an 8 hour scan tonight and I'll update it with my results. These tips are only about $2.00/5 so they're pretty cheap to replace as well.

The results have been as accurate as I need them to be, considering that you can only carve to a 1/16th in. with the ball tip carving head anyway.

Let me know if anyone else has a better idea.

Thanks!

I've been testing various "tips" out also, and tried the model glue applicator tip out just today...have scanned for about 4 hours today...and can confirm...so far so good

Tommy
    OVER 800 FREE CARVING PATTERNS,PROJECTS & more!
    CompuCarveWright.com

¨...make the best tool in your shop even better!¨
    Visit the CompuCarveWright.com SUPERSTORE!
    Great Patterns, Great Prices! And a CHOICE of formats...PTN, MPW, PNG!
    Want to sell your own patterns in our store...a limited number of applicants are being accepted. Contact us today...
    CompuCarveWright.com is not affiliated, associated, or endorsed by LHR Technologies or Sears Holdings...

Not being a modeler, I am a bit concerned that I might be looking at the wrong part. Can one of you two point me to a source or post a picture of the part so that when I look at them I know for sure I am getting the right thing?

Thanks,

Dale

Here is the picture

Found at any hobby store, and it is quite possible they sell them at Walmart also...in the toy section. Guess I'll have to check there myself the next time I go...

Tommy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ccw glue tip .jpg  
    CompuCarveWright.com

Want to sell your own patterns in our store...a limited number of applicants are being accepted. Contact us today...
    CompuCarveWright.com is not affiliated, associated, or endorsed by LHR Technologies or Sears Holdings...

I purchased a probe with my shopsabre router and it had a tiny plastic ball at the end and you can order different sizes of them as well.So I can see where covering the sharp metal would help.My tip looked bigger than the cw ,but caputured detail as well.
    Ben

6. Default

Must say it worked like a charm!

8 hours of scanning and doesn't look like the tip had any damage done. It also seems to have taken the "jumpiness" out of the scan as well. I've attached a thumbnail to show what the scan looked like w/o any editing done.

I've found my soft probe tip!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails b_neck.JPG  

Default Nice tip Tim!

I wonder if anyone had tried that dipping plastic used to dip tools in for softer handles?

Quote Originally Posted by RanUtah View Post
    I wonder if anyone had tried that dipping plastic used to dip tools in for softer handles?
    Yes, I tried that

Didn't work at all...color didn't matter either, tried it in black, red, and yellow lol (No I really didn't think color would matter...just tried making the coating different thickness' and used a different color each time )

Tommy
    CompuCarveWright.com

Default Tip

Does the tip make the scan bigger then the actual item being scanned due to the distance from the outside of the tip to the probe?

ASD HI Guest

I've been using a glass bead on the tip of the scanning probe. The bead can be found at most hobby or craft stores. The bead itself is 0.06" and the hole is just big enough to fit the tip in without it protruding out the other end. I use thin CA to affix it to the tip. With the smooth surface of the glass bead there is much less scratching and not much difference in scanning accuracy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast