Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Breaking Bits

davem Guest

Default Breaking Bits

Just unpacked my machine and tried a project and broke two bits what am I doing wrong?? any help is greatly appreciated

Maybe we can help if you post the mpc file your tried and a little more info of exactly what transpired.
    The 50-50-90 rule: Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

Do it on a Mac.
    Vietnam Vet '65-'66

davem Guest

Default Not sure what a mpc file is

The machine started to carve and went straight into the wood and snapped the bit in half

You do need to read this forum some! A mpc file is what you made/uploaded to the card & is the instruction for the machine. Have you registered the software and upgraded to v.1.20? I does sound like you might have to call CW tech support, though.
    The 50-50-90 rule: Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

Do it on a Mac.
    Vietnam Vet '65-'66

Default Bits / Tools

Dave,

Select elements of your pattern then select tools then select bits to see what bit is assigned to each element of your pattern.

Make sure you are not loading the 1/8 inch cutting bit when it asks for the 1/16 inch carving bit. I did that and got a real interesting carving until I saw it.... See picture.

You might have a Z Encoder failure. My unit drove into the board when I had the problem. If that is the case, call CarveWright and let them know.
    800-573-1226. The Z encoder reports the position to the computer, a error will result in driving into the wood. The fix is a replacement part you replace of send in the unit depending on your skill level with tools.

OR e-mail a picture of the wood and the result along with your pattern to support@carvewright.com

That gets the most eyes on your problem in a hurry.

Good Luck,

AL

I was cutting clocks with wood scraps, cut off's. Had a Z Stall with the Z catching on the cover, here is the picture.

Default Just saw your new post.

If you only have the carving bit left, not sure what bit you broke... set up a simple test pattern with the remaining bit only to test the machine for a Z encoder failure. Stick by it's side, the first sign of it going bad just open the cover to stop the machine. Then turn the power off and contact CarveWright.

AL

Default Manual mode?

Dave,
    Did you use a cut file made in designer and loaded on the card or did you play with the manual functions like cutting boards? I have never used the manual functions.

I am thinking you used the manual functions..... Could be wrong.

If you did use designer and made a MPC file you can post it to your next post by selecting Manage Attachments below. That will help guys like me or Pkunk look at what you are trying to cut.

AL

This has happened to me several time I found that you need to make sure that the board thickness in the File is the same as the board thickness itself. I know that the machine is suppose to take care of that but on some funtion i have found it does not

There is a chance that the bit did not lock into the chuck properly. You should be able to push the bit adapter into the chhck and see it "snap" into the locked position. If it is not locked in it will come loose when carving starts and the bit will dive into the wood and possibly break when the router moves the left or right.

Default Bit wiggle...... tip

A little tip for loading bits is to grab the tip and try to wiggle it.... (don't get cut) If you get a solid tip you good to go... I have had the bit tip wiggle with the bearings not be set and even have the bit come out. I rotate and keep pushing the quick acting ring down. It will set most times and be solid as a rock. I lube the quick connector with 3 in one oil.

Since I changed the chuck and have new holders I have done many projects and the bits are solid. I had to retire about 8 bit holders due to a worn chuck. It even put divots in 2 new bit holders with only one 50 min carving.

SO my suggestion if you ever get the divots in the bit holder to get a replacement chuck as soon as possible. I wore out some new bit holders with the bad chuck. I think the metal to metal contact points were worn on my bad chuck.

And remember the easiest way to remember which way to turn the chuck to remove it is to look at your router, it turns the same way.

AL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast