Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Scanning Probe

Quote Originally Posted by myersbear View Post
    Sorry it took so long to reply but I was out of town. I got the probe from www.imsrv.com thay are in Mi. It was $295 it has different tips you can use. Check it out.

Hello myersbear,

I found the TP-100 probe you mentioned.

Question...It does not appear to have the same type of mounting mechanism as the CW probe. How did you mount your TP-100 to fit the CompuCarve machine?
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Quote Originally Posted by mtylerfl View Post
    Hello myersbear,

I found the TP-100 probe you mentioned.

Question...It does not appear to have the same type of mounting mechanism as the CW probe. How did you mount your TP-100 to fit the CompuCarve machine?
    The shaft is a 3/8" I used a collet to use it in the 1/2" bit adaptor, also the plug is a little bigger, got a adaptor to plug in CarveWright. This probe has different ends you can get and takes a lot less force to move the end. I don't know if it will work with the carver are not. The probe is a switch inside that when the end hits it sends to computer, not much to it I found a few web sites that show you how to made them, I made one before I got this one and it worked OK. But you need the software and the carvewright is est up to only use carvewright things. Dan

Default Msgt, USAF Laser Technologies

I know yours is an old posting, however, I'm new and browsing. Any further developments on a soft-touch probe? I just received my scanner and am a bit reluctant to tear it apart just yet. I read this same posting on CW site. My email is eqquus@comcast.net.

Quote Originally Posted by gomjabar View Post
    I know yours is an old posting, however, I'm new and browsing. Any further developments on a soft-touch probe? I just received my scanner and am a bit reluctant to tear it apart just yet. I read this same posting on CW site. My email is eqquus@comcast.net.
    Do you have any need to "tear it apart"?? Is it not working or something?
    Christopher Neil Albrecht
    Occasional Carvings
    Just A Flowing With The Grain

Ver. 1.187 on XP Pro Desktop
    Ver. 1.187 on Win. 7/64 Laptop

Patterns At The Depot

Here is a link to a thread from awhile back that may help you make your scanning probe "softer".

http://forum.carvewright.com//showth...ight=Glue+tips
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Nothing's wrong with the scanner. I just would like to see just how hard it would be to modify/replace the contact leafs with more pliable ones. Especially the Z-axis. It takes an incredible 130+ grams to actuate it. I should add it would be nice if Ron (rjustice) could modify them at a reasonable price. Or produce a new soft-touch scanner.
    Last edited by gomjabar; 07-04-2009 at 06:07 PM.

Nothing's wrong with the scanner. I just would like to see just how hard it would be to modify/replace the contact leafs with more pliable ones. Especially the Z-axis. It takes an incredible 130+ grams to actuate it. I should add it would be nice if Ron (rjustice) could modify them at a reasonable price. Or produce a new soft-touch scanner.
    Hi gomjabar,
    I do have a design to make modified insides for the probe, but there wasnt very much interest, then someone discovered the glue tips, which was a very cheap way to protect the item being scanned, so i just stopped on it. The design i came up with would have a fraction of the required pressure, and would be significantly more sensitive/accurate.
    If there is a significant interest in the new probe retrofit, I will consider moving forward with it again.

Thanks,

Ron
    To order the "Made in USA" Rock Chuck, and other custom tools and accessories I make for your CarveWright, see my website by clicking here -> http://www.cw-parts.com
    See a quick video of the new Rock Chuck in action here!
    Read up on QC Removal for stubborn chucks here
    See the Rock install video here
    You can also visit here for discussion content.
    Email me by clicking here

As originally stated, I referenced your old positng and many thereafter. And yes, there appears to be much interest in a new, improved probe. Forget them, I'm still interested.
    As I stated earlier, it would save me "tearing" mine apart to try and implement any mods. Let alone, if a field mod is possible.

As originally stated, I referenced your old positng and many thereafter. And yes, there appears to be much interest in a new, improved probe. Forget them, I'm still interested.
    As I stated earlier, it would save me "tearing" mine apart to try and implement any mods. Let alone, if a field mod is possible.
    LOL... ok, here is the issue. It takes dozens if not hundreds of hours invested to R&D, then implement a production plan on something like this, of which I am probably 70% through from the old posts. In the midst of working on this at my time and expense, someone found that a 5 cent peice of plastic solves the problem for most of the people... (not sure it really did, but that was the feeling i got)... It just didnt seem as though there would ever be any payback on the investment i would have to make.

I will save you some time and let you know that you are not going to make much of an improvement in the stock one. The reason for the excessive pressure required, is due to the style of contacts used. And just in case you do open it up to experiment with it, just the oil residue from your fingers touching the contacts will make it act up.

It's just not made the way a $1200 probe is made, and the way i was heading would replicate the way an expensive industrial probe does work.

Again, if people start flooding my email with interest, i will go forward with it, if not, its just not something i have time to donate to right now.

Thanks Much!

Ron
    To order the "Made in USA" Rock Chuck, and other custom tools and accessories I make for your CarveWright, see my website by clicking here -> http://www.cw-parts.com
    See a quick video of the new Rock Chuck in action here!
    Read up on QC Removal for stubborn chucks here
    See the Rock install video here
    You can also visit here for discussion content.
    Email me by clicking here

Well if the Carvers are interested in clay/wax scanning and a higher degree of resolution they should respond. As for residue of any kind, I've worked in a class 100 clean room where the spoken word could contaminate optics. But thanks for your concern regarding contact contmination. I even use a tissue when handling button cell batteries. In any event let's see who responds. I do hope that $1200 wasn't the ballpark figure!

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast