Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Scanning Probe

Hey Ron,
    I've never been one to appose sharing, Alway room for two
    Ken

Ver 1.182 on XL Pro plus Ver 1.164 and 1.175 on Windows 7 Ultimate
    It Never Fails * Till * You Say It Never Fails

Ken, so is the "Chipper bit" on the left for poking holes, and the one on the right for cutting tapers? (i think we are getting closer to the "YOU AINT RIGHT" category all the time )

LOL....

Ron
    To order the "Made in USA" Rock Chuck, and other custom tools and accessories I make for your CarveWright, see my website by clicking here -> http://www.cw-parts.com
    See a quick video of the new Rock Chuck in action here!
    Read up on QC Removal for stubborn chucks here
    See the Rock install video here
    You can also visit here for discussion content.
    Email me by clicking here

I know we're getting off topic folks, but a smile now then never hurts

And Ron, Barbs says I'm get closer to that "YOU AINT RIGHT" category every day.

ps she laughed over my shoulder and said " By Leaps and Bounds"
    Last edited by Kenm810; 07-18-2007 at 05:05 PM.
    Ken

Ver 1.182 on XL Pro plus Ver 1.164 and 1.175 on Windows 7 Ultimate
    It Never Fails * Till * You Say It Never Fails

Default Probe too rough

Quote Originally Posted by rjustice View Post
    Guys,
    I am saying this a little tongue in cheek, because i will need some time to produce, test, and verify accuracy... but I am going to work on manufacturing a high precision, soft touch probe. I borrowed a probe to evaluate, and it came in yesterday. Honestly I was fairly shocked at how stiff, and how rough the action is to make it trigger. As i stated in another thread, i work with high end probes in my profession, and they are signifantly smoother, and have a much lighter spring touch to them. I feel pretty confident that I can make a signficant improvement, that would not damage or scratch antiques, or valuables. When people were posting about taking paint off of things, and scratching up colectables, I was having a hard time understanding the problem. This was based on my background with probes. Now i see.... With the amount of tension it takes to make this probe reliable, it is not possible to simply put a "composite" tip on it to protect your model that you are trying to scan. It would wear out in very short order. So, the answer is to smooth out, and considerably soften up the trigger mechanism and its movements. This will be my focus.
    I am considering 2 directions. First would be to retrofit existing probes if possible. In other words, send me your core, and i will have one remade to send you back, and just cycle through them. The second direction would be to build from scratch. Any comments, questions, or feedback of any kind are welcomed and encouraged!

I will pursue this for myself, and the person that loaned me his probe one way or another. But I am also curious if I am wasting my time or if people think there is an interest in producing larger quantities of these?

Thanks,

Ron
    Any progress on the soft-touch probe? My first scan was on a wooden plaque (my mother's, of all people). It scratched the finish on each pass. Best quality seems less rough than draft, as far as z truck movement, but both settings dig in pretty good into the finish. No way you could do wax or clay. Look forward to an improved probe, keep us informed as to progress.

ljdm,
    Yes there is progress... I have re-designed parts for a different contact type, that will require a lot less pressure on the probe. It will have a fraction of the spring tension. I need to machine up parts next weekend, and prototype to see how it works. The main issue that i forsee, is to use the existing case that the contacts are housed in now, makes the parts smaller than any probes i currently use in our shop, so i dont know if it is going to make it so sensitive that it freaks the machine out or not. I will post when i get something working.

Thanks for your interest,

Ron
    To order the "Made in USA" Rock Chuck, and other custom tools and accessories I make for your CarveWright, see my website by clicking here -> http://www.cw-parts.com
    See a quick video of the new Rock Chuck in action here!
    Read up on QC Removal for stubborn chucks here
    See the Rock install video here
    You can also visit here for discussion content.
    Email me by clicking here

Quote Originally Posted by kyeakel View Post
    Where did you purchase the other probe? I already have my carvewright probe, but it would be interesting to see if another probe would work. Just incase the original gets broken.

Kipp
    Sorry it took so long to reply but I was out of town. I got the probe from www.imsrv.com thay are in Mi. It was $295 it has different tips you can use. Check it out.

Ron, I'd be real interested also. The wife collects glass and there are many lids that I would love to scan, but I'm not going to take a chance with my life by scratching some of the hand painted surfaces on her pieces!

Ernie

Quote Originally Posted by myersbear View Post
    Sorry it took so long to reply but I was out of town. I got the probe from www.imsrv.com thay are in Mi. It was $295 it has different tips you can use. Check it out.
    Hello,

I visited the link, but did not spot the probe you mentioned. Do you have a more specific link where the probe may be found?

Thanks.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Thumbs up Try here

Quote Originally Posted by mtylerfl View Post
    Hello,

I visited the link, but did not spot the probe you mentioned. Do you have a more specific link where the probe may be found?

Thanks.
    Think you'll find it here:
    http://www.cadcamcadcam.com/index.as...TS&Category=14
    JON,

I think part of a best friend's job should be to immediately clear your computer history if you die.

Quote Originally Posted by jonweis View Post
    Thanks for passing that on, he has two websites. Dan

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast