Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Scanning Probe

Default Scanning Probe

Is anybody useing a probe other than CarveWrights. I have a good one with different tips it has the same plug on the wire that goes to machine, I don't know about the software, is that in the software that comes with the machine and comes on when the probe is hooked up, would be nice if I could use what I have are did thay make this machine to use CarveWrights name parts only.

The software is part of the probe cost.

Ron
    To order the "Made in USA" Rock Chuck, and other custom tools and accessories I make for your CarveWright, see my website by clicking here -> http://www.cw-parts.com
    See a quick video of the new Rock Chuck in action here!
    Read up on QC Removal for stubborn chucks here
    See the Rock install video here
    You can also visit here for discussion content.
    Email me by clicking here

Where did you purchase the other probe? I already have my carvewright probe, but it would be interesting to see if another probe would work. Just incase the original gets broken.

Kipp
    Kipp

Wink Playing with the Probe...

Guys,
    I am saying this a little tongue in cheek, because i will need some time to produce, test, and verify accuracy... but I am going to work on manufacturing a high precision, soft touch probe. I borrowed a probe to evaluate, and it came in yesterday. Honestly I was fairly shocked at how stiff, and how rough the action is to make it trigger. As i stated in another thread, i work with high end probes in my profession, and they are signifantly smoother, and have a much lighter spring touch to them. I feel pretty confident that I can make a signficant improvement, that would not damage or scratch antiques, or valuables. When people were posting about taking paint off of things, and scratching up colectables, I was having a hard time understanding the problem. This was based on my background with probes. Now i see.... With the amount of tension it takes to make this probe reliable, it is not possible to simply put a "composite" tip on it to protect your model that you are trying to scan. It would wear out in very short order. So, the answer is to smooth out, and considerably soften up the trigger mechanism and its movements. This will be my focus.
    I am considering 2 directions. First would be to retrofit existing probes if possible. In other words, send me your core, and i will have one remade to send you back, and just cycle through them. The second direction would be to build from scratch. Any comments, questions, or feedback of any kind are welcomed and encouraged!

I will pursue this for myself, and the person that loaned me his probe one way or another. But I am also curious if I am wasting my time or if people think there is an interest in producing larger quantities of these?

Thanks,

Ron
    To order the "Made in USA" Rock Chuck, and other custom tools and accessories I make for your CarveWright, see my website by clicking here -> http://www.cw-parts.com

You have my vote! If it were possible to rebuild the existing probes, I'd like it even better!
    The 50-50-90 rule: Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

Do it on a Mac.
    Vietnam Vet '65-'66

Just like Jeff and his backlighted LCD screen, any accessory that increases the ability of the final ability of the CarveWright has got to be a winner, Ron. For instance, besides not scaring valuable collectibles, something that would probe with a feather touch could also copy delicate items, such as lace, clay sculpted figures, etc. That would increase one's abilities on a grand scale.

Bob

Thanks Paul, and Bob... I appreciate any and all feedback like this. When i looked at the box for the probe, it says you can probe wax and clay... ??? I cant believe that its possible with the one i have to work with... it is extremely stiff...

Is anyone else interested ?

Ron

Default Probe

Count me in - if it is affordable of course
    Ken,
    V-1, 2, & 3

When the People fear their Government, there is Tyranny.
    When the Government fears the People, there is Liberty.
    - Thomas Jefferson

You must be the change you wish to see in the world.
    - Mohandas Gandhi

Ron, I'll jump on the band wagon too, I'm all for innovation.
    Especially when it makes a decent tool or product even better.
    I'm always looking for something better, new, or just different.

Buy way Ron, the new Bit holders have been working out fine
    even with with a couple of my old style chipper Bits
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Couple of new Bits 1.jpg  
    Last edited by Kenm810; 07-18-2007 at 04:29 PM.
    Ken

Ver 1.182 on XL Pro plus Ver 1.164 and 1.175 on Windows 7 Ultimate
    It Never Fails * Till * You Say It Never Fails

Ken810,
    Yeah when i wrote the post #4 above i was trying to come up with a title that wouldnt incroach on your personal title "THE TINKERNATOR" I actually started with "Tinkering with my Probe" but hey I figure you are the one that deserves to be able to use that line...LOL

Ron

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast