Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I want to scan a pistol and eventually a rifle

I have not had my probe working long enough to scratch anything. I de burred the tip and considered dipping it in plasti-dip for fragile ot to detailed items, oil the tip before I dip it and the rubber tip should slid back off when I am done. Maybe thin the plasti-dip before I dip to get a thinner coating. I have a spray on coat that goes on real thin as well.
    the probe is real simple, reall just a NC switch with 3 contacts held shut with a spring and the probe tip on the swash plate, repalce the steel probe with a Delrin and we should be good. ? just my thoughts.
    Mike G
    Custom wood working, etc, www.gmanind.com

Default Ahhh, Thanks, Guys!

I also have over 30 years inspecting aircraft parts with CMMs and other instruments. I don't think I need a CMM any more to make parts with the little growling xyz machine called the carvewright. I won't cover the pistols and rifles with the machine, I'll make copies with the other machine that doesn't scratch. Should be fun!!

Gary
    It's not a hammer, it's a microadjuster!

Quote Originally Posted by Gman_Ind View Post
    I have not had my probe working long enough to scratch anything. I de burred the tip and considered dipping it in plasti-dip for fragile ot to detailed items, oil the tip before I dip it and the rubber tip should slid back off when I am done. Maybe thin the plasti-dip before I dip to get a thinner coating. I have a spray on coat that goes on real thin as well.
    the probe is real simple, reall just a NC switch with 3 contacts held shut with a spring and the probe tip on the swash plate, repalce the steel probe with a Delrin and we should be good. ? Just my thoughts.
    Mike, I dont think it will hold up. In fact word has it that CW has already tried it without success. I worked with the probe over the weekend, and the one i have just simply has wayyyyyyyy too much tension on the probe to make it trigger. I suspect they may have increased the pressure this much due to the type of contacts used. I have designed up replacement parts that will fit inside the existing housing that has an entirely different contact type. I need to get some parts made up and try it to see if they will work in the amount of space there is to work with. It is a little smaller than i would like, but we will see. The new style will allow for a much lighter touch with the probe, therefore allowing for a resin tip to be made if you choose to go that way.

Ron
    To order the "Made in USA" Rock Chuck, and other custom tools and accessories I make for your CarveWright, see my website by clicking here -> http://www.cw-parts.com
    See a quick video of the new Rock Chuck in action here!
    Read up on QC Removal for stubborn chucks here
    See the Rock install video here
    You can also visit here for discussion content.
    Email me by clicking here

Quote Originally Posted by Gman_Ind View Post
    the probe is real simple, reall just a NC switch with 3 contacts held shut with a spring and the probe tip on the swash plate, repalce the steel probe with a Delrin and we should be good. ? just my thoughts.
    G-man the probe I received with my big cnc did have the end coated with a plastic type material.
    Ben

Default Getting bact to the Original thread

I have scanned my Model 685 Smith and Wesson 357 Magnum with wood S&W grips, and have NO pits or scratches to report. The Scan turned out great.

I did have to prop the gun up to scan it so that the barrel was level with my scanning sled.

Please NOTE: This is a Stainles Steel Pistol, not a blued one, and I wouldn't know if the probe would leave marks on a blued pistol.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails gun.jpg  
    http://allcw.com/

Patterns reasonably priced at or below cost.

Carving in LA (Lower Alabama)

Ted,

How did you do the scan without exceeding the 1" limitation on depth?

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by BobHill View Post
    Ted,

How did you do the scan without exceeding the 1" limitation on depth?

Bob
    The scan software lets you set a bottom to the scan or of a false z,I do gun stocks in this manner as long as your total thickness is not more that 2" ,you just set your depth of scan at the half way point on the gun or pistol and the scanner will stop in mid air without touching anything,nice feature keeps you from having to block up around and object .
    Ben

Thanks, Ben, I guess I'd better do some more reading of the scanner probe manual.

Bob

Default Scanning Half

Your absolutely right, set depth, which is 2nd option after setting second point of scan.
    Also keep in mind that the probe will scan a little over 1.4", and for the S&W I needed 1.3" to get 1/2 way. Once I got the scan in the pattern editor, I change the depth to what ever I want, as you still cannot carve much more than 1".

Note you need some scrap wood or something the heigth that you want for the max depth, as the probe will have to feel the max heigth.
    http://allcw.com/

Patterns reasonably priced at or below cost.

Carving in LA (Lower Alabama)

Quote Originally Posted by BobHill View Post
    Thanks, Ben, I guess I'd better do some more reading of the scanner probe manual.

Bob
    Hello Bob,

I made a how-it-works Scanning Video awhile back that shows the keypad's "Set The Maximum Depth" function during the scan setup.

Here's the link:
    http://www.carvebuddy.com/scanningvi..._it_works.html

Hope you find it helpful.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast