Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I want to scan a pistol and eventually a rifle

Default I want to scan a pistol and eventually a rifle

Does anybody know if I can scan any of my firearms without marring the finish?? I have the scanning probe, but haven't used it yet.

I appreciate any help.

Gary
    It's not a hammer, it's a microadjuster!

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    Does anybody know if I can scan any of my firearms without marring the finish?? I have the scanning probe, but haven't used it yet.

I appreciate any help.

Gary
    I wouldn't, yet. We're working on a softer solution.
    2nd. Probe has a depth limitation of 1 inch.
    The 50-50-90 rule: Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

Do it on a Mac.
    Vietnam Vet '65-'66

Hey Agian Gary,

Maybe I can help a little on this one. What I've none in the past, when I was afraid of damaging the surface while probe scanning, was to take the item. Lets say your hand gun plug the barrel and cylinders with cotton balls and give it a good coat of gun oil or a commercial release agent, and brush on a two part latex mold making mixture on one side. Then suspend it in a a shallow box and pore the remainder of the latex in, remember only enough to fill in and cover one side of the object. when the mold has set up and you have removed the object, mix a thin 2 part Bondo ( Yep like the stuff we used to repair our cars with ) and brush it into all the little nooks and crannies of the mold to get any air bubbles out, then fill it in with the remainder of the Bondo. Now you can scan the model and save the finish on your Pistol. You can do the same process with plaster of paris if you wish, but I prefer the products similar to Bondo. After all of that if you would like you can do the same to the other side of the object and have the scans for a two sided carving --- hope this helps a little.

ps. Please be sure to remember to remove the cotton balls from the barrel
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 261NEW2.jpg  
    Last edited by Kenm810; 07-15-2007 at 08:16 AM.
    Ken

Ver 1.182 on XL Pro plus Ver 1.164 and 1.175 on Windows 7 Ultimate
    It Never Fails * Till * You Say It Never Fails

Ken,
    Would you really do that to a valuable gun? I have two collector pistols, never fired and never even had their triggers snapped, so do you think I'd do that on mine? <g> Not in this lifetime.
    Bob

Bob,
    When I get back to my office computer at wrok on monday.
    I'll post some photos showing a couple of 1890 to 1900 pistols I've done this with,
    alone with some art work that had to be reproduced. It not hard,
    you just have to be very, very careful and it helps to have loads of insurance
    when working with other folks prize belongings.
    Not saying or implying it could be done by just anyone,
    and your right it is something you want to think about before committing yourself.
    Ya have to remember it's part of what I've been doing for a living for the 40 or 50 years.
    Last edited by Kenm810; 07-14-2007 at 12:42 PM.
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Kenm810 View Post
    Bob,
    When I get back to my office computer at wrok on monday.
    I'll post some photos showing a couple of 1890 to 1900 pistols I've done this with,
    alone with some art work that had to be reproduced. It not hard,
    you just have to be very, very careful and it helps to have loads of insurance
    when working with other folks prize belongings.
    Not saying or implying it could be done by just anyone,
    and your right it is something you want to think about before committing yourself.
    Ya have to remember it's part of what I've been doing for a living for the 40 or 50 years.

The shopsabre probe that came with my new machine has a rubber tip.
    I have had the cw probe due some minor damage to a few things,nothing valuable...I don't thin I would let it scan my colt though.

Ben

Maybe I'm not makeing myself clear --- You,re Not probe scanning the fire arms, your scanning the model.
    The latex does not generate heat, is not caustic, or corrosive. and set up in 5 minutes.
    It's less damaging then a polishing or oiling cloth you might use or holding the pistol while wearing a latex glove.
    But your more the welcome to different opinions, That's one of the things this forum is for.
    Ken

Question

Quote Originally Posted by pkunk View Post
    I wouldn't, yet. We're working on a softer solution.
    2nd. Probe has a depth limitation of 1 inch.
    Quick question.... who are we?? Haven't you said you are just a CC owner and not part of CW? Just a question out of curiosity, not trying to be offensive.

Ken, I with Bob I am not sure if I would put a substance on my handgun that might fill in open sections!

Rick
    Last edited by RC Woodworks; 07-16-2007 at 12:40 PM.

Default gun grips

Hi Ken.
    I just received my probe, and one of the things on my list to reproduce are gun grips. Which the ones that I'll be scanning are the originals and I don't care that much about getting minor scratches. But what I want to do is replace them with burl woods. And the problem I see is once I get them scanned I'll be working with smaller pieces of wood than what the min. size is for the cc. Can I turn around and carve on the sled or what other method is there? I'm trying not to have to buy $20.00 worth of wood when I have pieces that are large enough for the carved pieces.
    Thanks
    In Him, Mike
    msphilpott@tnet.biz

Quote Originally Posted by RC Woodworks View Post
    Quick question.... who are we?? Haven't you said you are just a CC owner and not part of CW? Just a question out of curiosity, not trying to be offensive.

Ken, I with Bob I am not sure if I would put a substance on my handgun that might fill in open sections!

Rick
    Rick,
    Paul is refering to a post that was made last week about solutions to this problem. He and I have been PM'ing back and forth, and I will be recieving his probe this week. I ordered my own before the price went up, and somehow my order was cancelled because it was backordered too long. They then wouldnt honor the original price, so i got irritated, and didnt re-order.
    I will be looking at engineering a new tip design as well as softening the "touch". I am also "just a CC owner" too, but have 26 years in CNC, machining, and engineering. I have also set up probes that cost in excess of $3000 on cnc machines capable of holding .0001 accuracy. The hopes are to re-engineer something with not only a non-abrasive tip, but also a softer touch to eliminate damaging the part being scanned. When the probes first came out people had commented on them taking the paint off of items they were scanning. This is probably as simple as too stiff of spring pressure on the probe axis, or a cheap method for seating the spherical ball seat, causing it to bind, which causes the use of stiffer springs.
    Just playin' around with the stuff trying to make it better for everyone...

Ron
    To order the "Made in USA" Rock Chuck, and other custom tools and accessories I make for your CarveWright, see my website by clicking here -> http://www.cw-parts.com
    See a quick video of the new Rock Chuck in action here!
    Read up on QC Removal for stubborn chucks here
    See the Rock install video here
    You can also visit here for discussion content.
    Email me by clicking here

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast