Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stuck Chuck

I use a small flat head to help pry off the little connector and the sensor will pull out.

Look for dirt on the inside of the window.. I have removed the window when I did a cleaning the last time.

LG

Quote Originally Posted by goober View Post
    Dunno if this will help you but I had the same problem; I messed with the chuck for hours to get the bit loose without success. My wife finally said to walk away from it and come back with a fresh aspect. After taking a break I walked up to the machine and lifted the chuck and the bit came loose. Hmmmm. After analyzing what happened and to make a long story short this is what I found out: The top of the chuck has a square nut and the top of the chuck collar has a metal ring. There is almost zero clearance between the ring and the 4 edges of the nut. If the chuck has minor imperfections then its possible to lift the collar in such a way that causes the metal ring to bind against the corners of the nut. Do this enough times and tiny burrs form on the corners of the nut. So I took a smooth jewelers file and polished up each corner of the nut. There is still almost zero clearance and every now and then a light wiggle is needed to get the collar up but with the edges polished smooth I have yet to get another jammed chuck. And the more gentle I am with lifting the chuck, the easier it is to remove the bit. As far as why the chuck released when I came back from taking a break as the wife suggested: I lifted the collar at precisely the right angle to avoid binding the collar against the edges of the square nut.

I had plenty of trouble with my chuck. Had the CW number ready to call. Thought I would try it ONE MORE TIME! (after many, many tries!) It worked and the bit/adapter just fell out! I drenched it with T-9 and will give it a spin tomorrow (scares the hell out of my cat!).

I think that there may be too close tolerances between the outside collar and the locking mechinism... also it's hard to operate it while it moves up/down/sideways PLUS awkward to get to anyway... then add a very sharp bit!!

I think the truck should have a spot where you can press a pin in to lock it from moving like on angle grinders when you change abrasive disks.

Whatever :-/

Signmaker

Signmaker,

I like your idea of a spring loaded locking pin to keep the chuck or Z truck form dancing around while we’re trying to work on it, and the ( sometimes not so Quick Change ) carving adaptor and bits. I’m sure CW would have to beef up the carving head assembly to take the extra torque we might be inclined to apply getting the (*#?&%#) adaptor out while we had it locked in place. -- Hmmmm – Probably it would be just something else I’d get stuck.
    Oh by the way my wife’s cat has been around the machine while it was carving and didn’t pay much attention to it or the noise, of course there isn’t much that really scares him, including the neighbors German Shepard’s.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cat[1].jpg  
    Ken

Ver 1.182 on XL Pro plus Ver 1.164 and 1.175 on Windows 7 Ultimate
    It Never Fails * Till * You Say It Never Fails

Default Chuck worn?

I just got a dozen bit holders from LHR and one 50 min carving project in pine with the carving bit and I have 3 bearing divot's in the new bit holder.... NOT GOOD.

Looks like I had better change the chuck. Looks like they wear out too. Where is that square drive adapter when I need it?...

AL

Unhappy Chuck removal tools

Al,
    I am still working on it. Heat treat lost my parts... They are hoping the fell into the bottom of the furnace and will know tonight. Very dissapointing to say the least.

Ron
    To order the "Made in USA" Rock Chuck, and other custom tools and accessories I make for your CarveWright, see my website by clicking here -> http://www.cw-parts.com
    See a quick video of the new Rock Chuck in action here!
    Read up on QC Removal for stubborn chucks here
    See the Rock install video here
    You can also visit here for discussion content.
    Email me by clicking here

Default No rush

Ron,

No rush, was just a joke anyway.... I do have the Allen but I see where your adapter will be MUCH BETTER.

Speaking of heat treating... I worked on RF Generators at the Sony Picture Tube plant. They took 4 turns of a coil, applied RF and the one turn metal picture tube holder turned red hot in 8 seconds. It slipped over the tube and cooled. That was the ears that you mounted the tube with. RF heat treating is a option for you too if you can find someone.

Everything takes time... I have been working on my 911 signs for months... Still have not sold one because I have not finished one.....

AL

Default First Stuck Bit

Had my first stuck bit. The chuck felt hot after a 2 hour carve. Let the chuck cool off and the bit came right out.

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by Digitalwoodshop View Post
    Ron,

No rush, was just a joke anyway.... I do have the Allen but I see where your adapter will be MUCH BETTER.

Speaking of heat treating... I worked on RF Generators at the Sony Picture Tube plant. They took 4 turns of a coil, applied RF and the one turn metal picture tube holder turned red hot in 8 seconds. It slipped over the tube and cooled. That was the ears that you mounted the tube with. RF heat treating is a option for you too if you can find someone.

Everything takes time... I have been working on my 911 signs for months... Still have not sold one because I have not finished one.....

AL

AL,
    Have you had a chance to try the 1/8 Bit adapters yet to see if they hold up longer?

Ron
    To order the "Made in USA" Rock Chuck, and other custom tools and accessories I make for your CarveWright, see my website by clicking here -> http://www.cw-parts.com
    See a quick video of the new Rock Chuck in action here!
    Read up on QC Removal for stubborn chucks here
    See the Rock install video here
    You can also visit here for discussion content.
    Email me by clicking here

Default Bits

Not yet... But soon.

AL

Default cat...

Quote Originally Posted by Kenm810 View Post
    Signmaker,

I like your idea of a spring loaded locking pin to keep the chuck or Z truck form dancing around while we’re trying to work on it, and the ( sometimes not so Quick Change ) carving adaptor and bits. I’m sure CW would have to beef up the carving head assembly to take the extra torque we might be inclined to apply getting the (*#?&%#) adaptor out while we had it locked in place. -- Hmmmm – Probably it would be just something else I’d get stuck.
    Oh by the way my wife’s cat has been around the machine while it was carving and didn’t pay much attention to it or the noise, of course there isn’t much that really scares him, including the neighbors German Shepard’s.
    Signmaker here...

just saw your reply/photo...

Say, your cat scares ME!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12