Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stuck Chuck

Default Stuck Chuck

My Quickrelease chuck is not releasing (quickly or otherwise). In the past, I've had problems getting a bit out after compressing the chuck, and I solved it by lightly lubricating the adapters before inserting them, as per the suggestion from several forum members. However this time, the chuck will not compress at all. I've used all the hand streangth I can muster and tried the release tool. The mechanism will not be compressed into the position where it releases a bit. I've got my carving bit in there right now. Anyone have this situation and solve it successfully? A couple of facts: I was able to swap the cutting and carving bits several times this morning. I did a very long carving session (> 1 hour) with the carving bit. It may have gotten fairly hot and I left it in for several hours, while taking the kids to watch fireworks. It may have coooled into a bad configuration. I recently put a some blue loc-tite on the threads of the quick-release (where it screws onto the flex-shaft spindle). I let it cure for 36 hours or more (the package only recommended 24), but I'm worried that the heat of the carving today, softened the loc-tite, and the spinning caused it to "leak" out into the compress/release mechanism. Seems a little unlikely given the amounts involved and the geometry of the quick-release, but I've never had trouble getting the chuck into the "release" configuration before. Anyone have any thoughts?

cycollins

Default Bit WIGGLE

See my post in the gallery "Al's Gloat" at the end. The bit holders get a indent in them from the ball bearings that hold them. A ridge builds up and that is what is holding your bit in the holder. I am down to playing musical bit holders because I have worn so many out with my project. Some say to file the ridge off, and I did... The result of MY test showed I could then pull the bit out without releasing the chuck... Very BAD.... I have retired 6 bit holders. I am now scrambling to see if I can use a 1/2 inch to 1/4 inch reducer and use the 6 1/2 inch bit holders I have in stock.

As for getting your bit out... You need to push the bit up and back in and at the same time press the ring down to lock the bit in place. This puts the ball bearings back in a more normal place. DO the BIT WIGGLE, meaning you grab the bit tip and rock it back and forth lightly. Then try the release and pushing the bit up at the same time then do the BIT WIGGLE. Gloves are required, please don't get cut.

Good Luck !!!!

I do the BIT WIGGLE every time I install a bit. A new bit holder is solid as a rock, a worn wobbles like a drunken sailor.... NOT good for carving quality or your Z Bearings.

I have some holders on order but will order another dozen this week.

AL

US Navy Retired Chief

Picture loading is still down.
    Last edited by Digitalwoodshop; 07-05-2007 at 08:11 AM.

So, I suppose you don't red loc-tite your bit adapters any more. I assume you know that the adapters can come from Sears. You can't use the QuickRelease chucks, but they sell the adapters separately and I have it on good authority (and personal experience) that the adapters are completely CarveWright-correct.

The bit that is in my adapter is in fact my oldest bit in it's original adapter. I have tried on occasion to remove it from its adapter, but the adapter is there to stay. I have considered sawing it out with a carbide cutter. Anyone try that?

cycollins

Default Bit holders

Bit holders can be a bear.... Good Luck getting it out with the wiggle thing.

I have been using blue lock tite that is removable. I believe red is forever.... I could be wrong. Heating the bit holders helps to release them, Hair Dryer of flame... Your Choice...

I am about 60 miles from the nearest Sears store and have been working 14 hour days including yesterday pumping out product to take to shows. I told CarveWright to hold my last bit order until the V bit's came in but that looks like a dumb move.... The fun continues.

AL

Default update

Turns out the reason for the stickage was that one of the little screws that holds the bit in the adapter came out during the carve. I found this out because I figured, since my bit was already lodged in there and since a good long carving was what caused the problem, another good long carving my dislodge things a bit. It did. The chuck spit the little screw out into a pile of dust in the middle of my carving. Chuck problem solved.

On the other hand, the vibrations caused by the unbalanced adapter caused the sensor cable to come loose, causing a spurious Y-axis stall. The cloud of dust thrown up by the impact of the screw in the dust seems to have fouled my board sensor, which refuses to read more than about 25 now. I think life would be easier if I just learned how to carve with hand tools.

Does anyone know a sure-fire way of cleaning the board sensor? I blew some air directly on it. I gently rubbed it with a lint-free cloth. I still get limited response. Any thoughts?

cycollins

BTW. You're correct about red loc-tite being permanent, but it is also I believe what is recommended. However, I think blue is a better idea. I have both because blue is what is recommended for attaching the quick-release chuck to the spindle.

cycollins

Cleaning of the board sensor has been coverd many times, a quick search may have turned up ideas like:

http://www.carvewright.com/forum/sho...t=board+sensor

http://www.carvewright.com/forum/sho...n+board+sensor

In short, remove the sensor (two screws) and clean it inside. Some are leaving the clear cover off when reassembling. Since I started using a down draft DC system I have only had to wipe my board sensor a few times in a couple months.
    Happy carving , Jeff Birt

Check out www.soigeneris.com for CarveWright Accesories.

Home of the 'Carving in the Dark' back lit LCD kit!

Default had the same problem

Dunno if this will help you but I had the same problem; I messed with the chuck for hours to get the bit loose without success. My wife finally said to walk away from it and come back with a fresh aspect. After taking a break I walked up to the machine and lifted the chuck and the bit came loose. Hmmmm. After analyzing what happened and to make a long story short this is what I found out: The top of the chuck has a square nut and the top of the chuck collar has a metal ring. There is almost zero clearance between the ring and the 4 edges of the nut. If the chuck has minor imperfections then its possible to lift the collar in such a way that causes the metal ring to bind against the corners of the nut. Do this enough times and tiny burrs form on the corners of the nut. So I took a smooth jewelers file and polished up each corner of the nut. There is still almost zero clearance and every now and then a light wiggle is needed to get the collar up but with the edges polished smooth I have yet to get another jammed chuck. And the more gentle I am with lifting the chuck, the easier it is to remove the bit. As far as why the chuck released when I came back from taking a break as the wife suggested: I lifted the collar at precisely the right angle to avoid binding the collar against the edges of the square nut.

Default One perspective!

Goober,
    I'd like to hear your wife's interpretation .
    Ken,
    V-1, 2, & 3

When the People fear their Government, there is Tyranny.
    When the Government fears the People, there is Liberty.
    - Thomas Jefferson

You must be the change you wish to see in the world.
    - Mohandas Gandhi

Default I tried to remove the sensor once, but...

...after removing the two screws, it didn't exactly fall out. I wasn't sure how assertive to be in pulling on the sensor. Is there anything else that needs to be detached? There must be a ribbon cable that the sensor is attached to for it to carry signals to the brains. Or does it plug into a socket of some kind?

cycollins

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast